Gas prices $$$$$$$

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Troutman

Gas prices $$$$$$$

Post by Troutman » Tue May 31, 2022 10:35 am

With gas approaching $5.00 a gallon for regular :o . Will this slow you down on traveling to your favorite destination trout rivers :?: . Since summer time is quickly approaching. Safe C&R trout fishing in NJ will end soon anyway. So fishing my favorite 5 rivers will cease in the NW NJ. But I do plan on fishing The Upper Delaware West Branch. I just mite have to extend my stay a day lodging up there into 3 days instead of a weekend deal in the summer. As my vehicle take premium only so Im already paying the $5.00 + a gallon :x .
Was known as Troutman1

martalus

Re: Gas prices $$$$$$$

Post by martalus » Tue May 31, 2022 1:29 pm

Well, if it gets too expensive driving up there, there is always smallie fishing closer to home (On the Big D or elsewhere).

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue May 31, 2022 1:39 pm

Exactly why I am focusing on salt water now, it costs me so much to drive from Monmouth County to fish in western NJ.

cappy

Post by cappy » Tue May 31, 2022 1:54 pm

I got back Sunday after spending a few days on the Beaverkill and Willow. Filled up in Roscoe at $4.89 for regular. I'll make one or two additional trips between now and October.
Warm water species are loads of fun on Tenkara rods.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue May 31, 2022 2:20 pm

A nasty recession is on its way, and that will finally quell these prices as demand finally plummets. But when that happens is still a bit of a mystery. That said, I'm headed up to Dreamcatcher Lodge Thursday morning for a 4 day trip that I paid for last May, so other than a $175 fill up with regular unleaded for the truck, I don't have many expenses. And I can run up and back on about a half a tank.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

martalus

Post by martalus » Tue May 31, 2022 2:20 pm

beyond fishing less/closer to home, is anyone considering a different choice of vehicle?

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue May 31, 2022 2:26 pm

martalus wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 2:20 pm
beyond fishing less/closer to home, is anyone considering a different choice of vehicle?
Not now, I traded in a 2017 C300 and Nissan Altima to buy a truck in January. Silly me w not foreseeing gas prices escalating. Luckily the beach is 10 minutes away and the fishing is prime at Sandy Hook. May kayak a local pond or 2 for largemouth.

martalus

Post by martalus » Tue May 31, 2022 2:31 pm

I am not personally looking to change vehicles either-I got a 2017 Honda CRV with low mileage in 2019-I get decent fuel economy-31-35 mpg on the highway so it is not terrible-when I fill up, I usually can drive over 400 miles. Its a great car for fishing/skiing as I get a combination of decent fuel economy, good storage space, a little higher clearance, and all wheel drive. It doesn't have the fuel economy of a smaller/hybrid car or the huge storage space of a truck/larger SUV , but it works well for our needs.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Tue May 31, 2022 2:38 pm

I drive a 2011 Toyota 4RUNNER...17.5 MPG, but now I am part time pulling a Taco trailer, so that MPG will plummet...If you are interested we will be at The Columbia trail in High Bridge every other weekend for a few hours for street tacos..if posting that breaks rules here remove it, or tell me and I will. Classic street Tacos, carnitas, steak and chicken, horchata, coke, diet coke, water, chips salsa, guac....we got it all. Tia' B's Tacos on Face book. look it up!!

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue May 31, 2022 2:52 pm

I wish that was closer and today....I am starving

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Tue May 31, 2022 4:14 pm

martalus wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 2:31 pm
I am not personally looking to change vehicles either-I got a 2017 Honda CRV with low mileage in 2019-I get decent fuel economy-31-35 mpg on the highway so it is not terrible-when I fill up, I usually can drive over 400 miles. Its a great car for fishing/skiing as I get a combination of decent fuel economy, good storage space, a little higher clearance, and all wheel drive. It doesn't have the fuel economy of a smaller/hybrid car or the huge storage space of a truck/larger SUV , but it works well for our needs.
The best I can get with my 2010 Honda CRV is 24-26 mpg and that's got to be pretty prime conditions, i.e. 70 mph with not much traffic to cause me to jump off and on the gas. Just got a 2018 Jeep Renegade so now I get closer to 28-30 mpg on the highway. Whoohoo but the storage is 20% less in the rear :cry: Guess I need to learn to carry more gear.

As for $5/gallon gas......F Brandon.....I'm going where I want, he's not using gas prices to try and curtail my freedom!
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

martalus

Post by martalus » Tue May 31, 2022 5:17 pm

Well its good to see the improvement in fuel efficiency over the years on the CRV and many cars-I definitely get way over 30mph on the highway and just under 30 on city streets

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue May 31, 2022 5:41 pm

lightenup wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 2:38 pm
I drive a 2011 Toyota 4RUNNER...17.5 MPG, but now I am part time pulling a Taco trailer, so that MPG will plummet...If you are interested we will be at The Columbia trail in High Bridge every other weekend for a few hours for street tacos..if posting that breaks rules here remove it, or tell me and I will. Classic street Tacos, carnitas, steak and chicken, horchata, coke, diet coke, water, chips salsa, guac....we got it all. Tia' B's Tacos on Face book. look it up!!
what part of HIGH Bridge ? I fish the SBR often in that area. Ball fields or more near down town :?:
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue May 31, 2022 5:44 pm

Drossi wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 4:14 pm
martalus wrote:
The best I can get with my 2010 Honda CRV is 24-26 mpg and that's got to be pretty prime conditions, i.e. 70 mph with not much traffic to cause me to jump off and on the gas. Just got a 2018 Jeep Renegade so now I get closer to 28-30 mpg on the highway. Whoohoo but the storage is 20% less in the rear :cry: Guess I need to learn to carry more gear.

As for $5/gallon gas......F Brandon.....I'm going where I want, he's not using gas prices to try and curtail my freedom!
very much doubt it will slow me down. But I will maximize my trips thou. I got a 2018 Audi SQ5 that like to drink only premium fuel. Gas mileage is decent as long as Im not in :lol: The space is handy for me when I load up my kayak. Only thing is my gas mileage drops even more :x
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue May 31, 2022 5:47 pm

martalus wrote:
I not planning on getting anything new for a few year until all this settles down. The prices on new vehicles these days are insane. I never ever paid manufacturer sticker list. nor will I pay 5k-7k on top of sticker list.
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue May 31, 2022 5:55 pm

martalus wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 1:29 pm
Well, if it gets too expensive driving up there, there is always smallie fishing closer to home (On the Big D or elsewhere).
There aint to many places to fish by me :( . Maybe the lower Passaic River or lower Hackensack River. a few park ponds :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Tue May 31, 2022 6:01 pm

I tossed about 50 goldfish into a kiddie pool I still have from when my boys were very young. If you stand in it with your eyes closed and play a "whisper in the trees" online sound bit, it's kinda like being on the Big Flatbrook.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue May 31, 2022 6:04 pm

MikeB wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 1:39 pm
Exactly why I am focusing on salt water now, it costs me so much to drive from Monmouth County to fish in western NJ.
Im like right on the hudson river. Ive saltwater fished a few times. But just couldnt dial in the tide & using lures :(
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue May 31, 2022 6:05 pm

BiggerThomas wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 6:01 pm
I tossed about 50 goldfish into a kiddie pool I still have from when my boys were very young. If you stand in it with your eyes closed and play a "whisper in the trees" online sound bit, it's kinda like being on the Big Flatbrook.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I guess I always can just imagine fishing in my aquarium :lol: :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue May 31, 2022 6:08 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 2:20 pm
A nasty recession is on its way, and that will finally quell these prices as demand finally plummets. But when that happens is still a bit of a mystery. That said, I'm headed up to Dreamcatcher Lodge Thursday morning for a 4 day trip that I paid for last May, so other than a $175 fill up with regular unleaded for the truck, I don't have many expenses. And I can run up and back on about a half a tank.
Im actually head up to Deposit this Friday to Tuesday. I can make it up there & back with a full tank. But just limit my driving while Im up there & Im okay. The weather seems to be GREAT this weekend.
Was known as Troutman1