Isonychia

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
lightenup

Isonychia

Post by lightenup » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:41 pm

Brown's corner Monday evening. Not many fish rising, but the ones that were would only eat Iso's ...caddis emergers in the column, but on top Iso's only..as it got dark I left, so it may have switched...Just one guy using a "sulphur caddis" also caught fish on the top...yes I know WTF is a sulphur caddis? I asked him the same. It is what he names his flies that he doesn't know what they are... :shock: :lol: :? Sulphurs, cahills, iso's. March browns, caddis and midges were all present...Water temp was taken several times, hottest was 66.7, then dropped from there. Carry your thermometers and take several temps through the day as it can get hot FAST!!!

Fishybig

Re: Isonychia

Post by Fishybig » Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:12 pm

Nice work with the temp taking.....should always be the first thing you do at waters edge, no matter the season....unless of course you had too much coffee on the way there...

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:08 am

Nice LU. We had some Isos launching on the West Branch Delaware late last week as well, mixed with both sulphurs and some March Brown/Gray Fox and various caddis including black caddis. The Beaverkill and lower East Branch are already too warm to trout fish in. They have not had some of the rains we have had here, and low flows and warm days have ended their season early on some rivers or sections of rivers.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:45 pm

Iso's mixed with sulphurs Monday night on the Pequannock as well. The birds were working them heavily, the fish not so much. I was able to conjure up a few on a big GRHE wet and another few on a sulphur wet.

64 degree temp at 6:30. Next couple of days should be a no-go, maybe the weekend with the rain and lower ambient but it's probably time to switch to tailwaters and warm water species. F with the trout again in October.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane