recommendation on a GREAT pair of wading boots

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Troutman

recommendation on a GREAT pair of wading boots

Post by Troutman » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:35 am

As tittle states. Im looking for a light weight pair of wading boots. Interchangeable replacements souls would be awesome. I think someone on here mentions Korkers :?: . Which model would you guys recommend that is also light weight. The Simms G4's I have are to heavy for my taste. That Patagonia's are nice & lite but the felt soles only last me 2 seasons @ most.

Thanks for any information
Was known as Troutman1

lightenup

Re: recommendation on a GREAT pair of wading boots

Post by lightenup » Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:52 pm

Korkers Resides. Lightwieght, replaceable soles, they should last 3 seasons. I have gotten 5 but it was sketchy the last one. I have recently bought some Redington boots that I am enjoying, this is season 1. Anyway, what's a tittle? ;)

cappy

Post by cappy » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:51 am

Not a fan of Korkers. Been using Chota boots, no complaints.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

njcatchrelease

Post by njcatchrelease » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:46 am

I purchased my first pair of Korkers last year and really like them. I got the Terror Ridge series with a couple of different soles. They are by far the best boot I have ever had.
Tight Lines

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:42 am

I wear either Simms or Chotas. I find lost Korker soles almost every day I'm on the water, so no thanks. Love the idea, hate the execution. That said, be prepared to search the nation for a pair right now unless you have a weird size. I needed boots this spring and let's just say I am able to access pro deals, and the best one couldn't ship "until mid-July at the earliest" and that was back in March. I hit up my friends that own fly shops, same situation. I could find Korkers, but that was it and I won't ever buy them at any price. Somme shops had lower end models, but again, no thanks. So I found a pair of Chotas online and had them shipped from Colorado for full price. All supply chain BS since Covid hit. Everything will improve quickly once we hit a recession and the economy dries up quickly.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

barkeater

Post by barkeater » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:31 am

Chotas.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:55 pm

Troutman wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:35 am
As tittle states. Im looking for a light weight pair of wading boots. Interchangeable replacements souls would be awesome. I think someone on here mentions Korkers :?: . Which model would you guys recommend that is also light weight. The Simms G4's I have are to heavy for my taste. That Patagonia's are nice & lite but the felt soles only last me 2 seasons @ most.

Thanks for any information
I didn't answer your one question. Korkers are the only manufacturer I know that offers the interchangeable soles. Ask yourself why nobody else does(?). The answer is lots and lots of lost soles....

I agree that Simms boots can be on the heavy side, but that never bothered me. I mostly wear Chotas and have had at least 3 or 4 pairs including right now. I eventually split the seems after 3 seasons, but I wear mine wet wading with neoprene wading socks to give me the ankle support and safety wading while working and while fishing. To me, Chota has the best weight to strength ratio and nothing will fall of of them. Their speed laces work great and I replace them once before my boots wear out, but if they break while in the field, you can just tie and knot and keep fishing. To me, that is key. Field repairs are a real thing, and when your sole falls of your Korkers, you are done for that day.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:45 pm

lightenup wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:52 pm
Korkers Resides. Lightwieght, replaceable soles, they should last 3 seasons. I have gotten 5 but it was sketchy the last one. I have recently bought some Redington boots that I am enjoying, this is season 1. Anyway, what's a tittle? ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I typed in 1 to many t's

thank you for your input. I bought the Korkers Devil Canyons.cant wait to try them out :D
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:46 pm

cappy wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:51 am
Not a fan of Korkers. Been using Chota boots, no complaints.
Thank you for your input. good choice. but out of stock of my size @ the moment. I should have bought a pair before all the shortages came around :cry:
Last edited by Troutman on Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:47 pm

njcatchrelease wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:46 am
I purchased my first pair of Korkers last year and really like them. I got the Terror Ridge series with a couple of different soles. They are by far the best boot I have ever had.
Thank you for your input. I bought a pair of devils canyons. cant wait to try them in the river :D
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:50 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:42 am
I wear either Simms or Chotas. I find lost Korker soles almost every day I'm on the water, so no thanks. Love the idea, hate the execution. That said, be prepared to search the nation for a pair right now unless you have a weird size. I needed boots this spring and let's just say I am able to access pro deals, and the best one couldn't ship "until mid-July at the earliest" and that was back in March. I hit up my friends that own fly shops, same situation. I could find Korkers, but that was it and I won't ever buy them at any price. Somme shops had lower end models, but again, no thanks. So I found a pair of Chotas online and had them shipped from Colorado for full price. All supply chain BS since Covid hit. Everything will improve quickly once we hit a recession and the economy dries up quickly.
Thank you for your input. Your absolutely correct. Out of stock of the Chotas in the size I need. No one has them even e-bay or amazon. So I had to settle for the Korkers Devil canyon. I have 30 days to return If I dont like them thou. Well see ;)
Was known as Troutman1

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:05 am

Troutman wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:50 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Thank you for your input. Your absolutely correct. Out of stock of the Chotas in the size I need. No one has them even e-bay or amazon. So I had to settle for the Korkers Devil canyon. I have 30 days to return If I dont like them thou. Well see ;)
I surfed Amazon for like 45 minutes to find the one pair of Chotas in size 11 left anywhere in the world or so it seemed in March. And I got their 2nd highest model, not their top of the line. Beggars can't be choosers as my father always said.

brettdv

Post by brettdv » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:15 am

Chota's for sure - haven't replaced mine in a while but make me think i should start looking. I also picked up a pair of Simms fly weight boots for more remote hike in fishing in early spring, fall and winter and really like them.

These days wet wading is the prime way to go. Simms wading shoe/sandal with a bit of felt in the center is the way to go....

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:54 pm

I actually like Cabela's lightweight studded felts.

I have a pair of Korkers with the spiked studs, loved the soles and the grip but I had to glue them in place as they kept coming apart at bad times. Plus I just can't get over the boa lace system, great in theory, eliminating snagging laces and tying with cold hands, but I just can get them tight enough for my preference. And when I have I've had the f'ers pop open! Not a good feeling to have your foot start sliding inside the boot while sliding in the Delaware.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

cowboyfan

Post by cowboyfan » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:15 pm

Simms..I am very happy with the quality.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:50 pm

Drossi wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:54 pm
I actually like Cabela's lightweight studded felts.

I have a pair of Korkers with the spiked studs, loved the soles and the grip but I had to glue them in place as they kept coming apart at bad times. Plus I just can't get over the boa lace system, great in theory, eliminating snagging laces and tying with cold hands, but I just can get them tight enough for my preference. And when I have I've had the f'ers pop open! Not a good feeling to have your foot start sliding inside the boot while sliding in the Delaware.
Another excellent point about why I won't buy Korkers. The BOA system is yet another item that could fail while afield and how do you secure your boots once they crap the bed? Laces can be quickly tied in a knot if they break with no loss in functionality. The BOA can't.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:36 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:05 am
Troutman wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:50 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
I surfed Amazon for like 45 minutes to find the one pair of Chotas in size 11 left anywhere in the world or so it seemed in March. And I got their 2nd highest model, not their top of the line. Beggars can't be choosers as my father always said.
You BUM... thats the size I need :lol: :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:39 pm

cowboyfan wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:15 pm
Simms..I am very happy with the quality.
Yes. I have no issue with the quality. To bad they dont make a light weight model :( . I do some serious wading in the river. Then sometimes a hike & a half to get back to the vehicle. So the lighter the better works for me ;)
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:44 pm

brettdv wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:15 am
Chota's for sure - haven't replaced mine in a while but make me think i should start looking. I also picked up a pair of Simms fly weight boots for more remote hike in fishing in early spring, fall and winter and really like them.

These days wet wading is the prime way to go. Simms wading shoe/sandal with a bit of felt in the center is the way to go....
I used to LOVE to wet wade when I was young. Im somewhat skittish of that now due to possible infection from microbes. But that mite be just in my head ;) :lol: .

I got the G4 boots. felt like cinder blocks walking thru the water :o :o :o . But they took a beating up in the salmon river rocks like a champ
Was known as Troutman1

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:40 am

I'll add my vote for Chota...I've had mine for over 8 years.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,