Good temps low water

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
joe_panella

Good temps low water

Post by joe_panella » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:28 am

Went and fished the pequannock last night for an hour. Temps were 66 but the water was low. Picked up a stockie and a wild brown. I have seen more wild browns this year in my limited fishing which is a good thing. Maybe if we get a little rain the next day or two Thursday will be good. Anyone get out the last few days. BTW saw a few ISO's, caddis and what appeared to be yellow sallies which i have only noticed before on some small wild streams like india brook.

Drossi

Re: Good temps low water

Post by Drossi » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:58 am

Good to hear. I was out of town last week and was wondering how conditions were. Fished it on the 16th and the ISO's were popping then too. Not much happening on the surface but they were hammering wets on the swing. Didn't raise any browns though, just run of the mill stockies. Hopefully we'll get some decent rain the next few days.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:25 am

It has been fairly cool so far this late spring and now early summer. Nighttime temps often in the upper 40s to upper 50s here in the SBR headwaters which bodes well for trout fishing. But the rain they keep calling for seems more elusive as of late. We need both rain and cooler temps if we are to fish for trout much in NJ with the exception of headwater streams that remain cool all summer for the most part.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:16 pm

joe_panella wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:28 am
Went and fished the pequannock last night for an hour. Temps were 66 but the water was low. Picked up a stockie and a wild brown. I have seen more wild browns this year in my limited fishing which is a good thing. Maybe if we get a little rain the next day or two Thursday will be good. Anyone get out the last few days. BTW saw a few ISO's, caddis and what appeared to be yellow sallies which i have only noticed before on some small wild streams like india brook.
The Musky has a huge yellow sally hatch. That is what started me fly fishing years ago. Watching trout go nutso while ignoring my power bait....

martalus

Post by martalus » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:41 pm

It's fairly cool and it looks like some rain is moving north to south in the western half of the state-not sure if it will help much, but couldn't hurt.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:26 pm

water temps was 66* on the Ramapo @ 6.30am today
Was known as Troutman1

martalus

Post by martalus » Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:07 pm

I live in the DC area and hope this summer continues like spring with lower than average temps. We have record cold temps on some mornings in April, May, and June which I dont mind at all as average low temps are in the low 70s and record low means mid 50s which is perfect for me. I went for a walk last night from 830-930 and it was so pleasant to have natural light and comfortable temps in the 60s with low humidity.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:38 pm

martalus wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:07 pm
I live in the DC area and hope this summer continues like spring with lower than average temps. We have record cold temps on some mornings in April, May, and June which I dont mind at all as average low temps are in the low 70s and record low means mid 50s which is perfect for me. I went for a walk last night from 830-930 and it was so pleasant to have natural light and comfortable temps in the 60s with low humidity.
Next Friday and Saturday, high 90's for New Jersey, take advantage while you can.