Musconetcong TCA - Penwell

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
adirock

Musconetcong TCA - Penwell

Post by adirock » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:10 pm

Thinking about hitting the Musconetcong TCA at Penwell this weekend - I haven't been there for several years, but it was decent back then. Anyone been there recently ? Worth going ? Thanks for any replies.

Rusty Spinner

Re: Musconetcong TCA - Penwell

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:49 pm

adirock wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:10 pm
Thinking about hitting the Musconetcong TCA at Penwell this weekend - I haven't been there for several years, but it was decent back then. Anyone been there recently ? Worth going ? Thanks for any replies.
The Point Mountain TCA holds fish year round and temps should be fine. Anglers are catching more native brook trout there in recent years coming in from the adjoining tributaries. Good luck and post a report. Remember with those deep pools someone made (I wonder who?), you MUST have a long leader/tippet combo to get down to where they are along the bottom unless you hit a hatch.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:22 pm

adirock wrote:
Good luck finding parking. They have placed boulders where you would normally park because of party goers near the dam :(
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:23 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:49 pm
adirock wrote:
The Point Mountain TCA holds fish year round and temps should be fine. Anglers are catching more native brook trout there in recent years coming in from the adjoining tributaries. Good luck and post a report. Remember with those deep pools someone made (I wonder who?), you MUST have a long leader/tippet combo to get down to where they are along the bottom unless you hit a hatch.
Thank you for your great work..... ;) :D
Was known as Troutman1

adirock

Post by adirock » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:06 pm

Regarding the parking on Penwell, is there no parking at all in the lot on the side of the road, or do the boulders just restrict the number of cars that can park there

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:57 pm

adirock wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:06 pm
Regarding the parking on Penwell, is there no parking at all in the lot on the side of the road, or do the boulders just restrict the number of cars that can park there
Go park by the Point Mountain side and walk up, great water and great parking. Besides, walking is healthy exercise and the wading boot companies will love you for wearing out their boots faster. ;)

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:03 pm

lightenup wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:57 pm
walking is healthy exercise and the wading boot companies will love you for wearing out their boots faster. ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:39 am

adirock wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:06 pm
There is a narrow road we call Faber Road after the Faber estate that left their land to the Division off Penwell Road. Take that in to a parking area where the old house foundation remains and there is room for maybe 5 or more cars, depending on how people park. Otherwise, park down at Point Mountain Road bridge area and walk up as others stated.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

adirock

Post by adirock » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:53 am

Thanks for reminding me about the "Faber Road". I have fished where that lot is, and gone up to Penwell from there as well, although I remember there being a lot of thorny bushes along the trail. I think I'm going to pass on going this weekend though, the outside temps are supposed to be around 90. I'll wait for a cooler day.

adirock

Post by adirock » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:54 pm

checked out the Musconetcong TCA today - didn't see another angler. It was hot out, but not too bad since I was in the shade most of the time. Rusty Spinner was right about the deep pools and needing to get down deep. Had a couple of follows, and caught one on a copper john, saw one rising trout, but couldn't entice him with anything.

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:59 pm

adirock wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:54 pm
checked out the Musconetcong TCA today - didn't see another angler. It was hot out, but not too bad since I was in the shade most of the time. Rusty Spinner was right about the deep pools and needing to get down deep. Had a couple of follows, and caught one on a copper john, saw one rising trout, but couldn't entice him with anything.
What were the water temps?? Do you use a thermometer??

adirock

Post by adirock » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:35 am

I did not use a thermometer, but by feel, I would say 70 degrees

barkeater

Post by barkeater » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:10 am

You say it was hot out and you did not see another angler. Then you say you did not use a thermometer but by the feell it was 70 degrees. Did you wonder why no one else was fishing?

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:44 pm

adirock wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:35 am
Did you kill and eat the one you caught?

Cause at 70+ degrees of water temp, you very likely killed it.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:35 pm

Drossi wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:44 pm
adirock wrote:

Agreed..... go farther north to cooler waters or switch to another freshwater species.

Personally salt water is the move from late May through September

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:40 pm

Drossi wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:44 pm
adirock wrote:

I fish Spruce Run in the evenings. Pulled in 2 smallmouth, one quite large, 3 perch, 1 channel cat, and 1 large carp that looked like it was run over by a boat years ago....in 4 hours. STAY AWAY FROM TROUT WHEN THE WATER HIITS 68 degrees...Be nice he might not know. I didn't until I was told. So buddy, trout die in warm water, that is why the state has to constantly stock, spring and fall, not to mention all the meat takers. To each his own, but if you are not keeping trout, leave them alone when the water is over 68. If you are eating them, have at it, but get out of the TCAs.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:09 pm

adirock wrote:
trout fishing in 70* water is deadly for trout if your trying to C&R. I personally dont fish for trout in NJ in the summer months. But I do fish for trout in NYS @ Upper Delaware West Branch. The water in that area is about a constant 60* even in the hottest summer months. Its only about a 2.5 hr drive from me. Well worth it IMO. once you catch a wild brown or rainbow(cloud) you dont want to catch another stockie again. caught these & a few others last Sunday when air temps was in 90's up there

Was known as Troutman1

adirock

Post by adirock » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:51 am

Nuff said. I’ve invested in a stream thermometer and will use it diligently in the future. Thanks for all the good info.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:20 pm

adirock wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:51 am
Nuff said. I’ve invested in a stream thermometer and will use it diligently in the future. Thanks for all the good info.
Lightenup "liked" this quote.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:51 pm

adirock wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:51 am
This is how we are learn from this site. I use a net more diligently now also. I just used to unhook & release while the fish was in the water. But they used to thrash somewhat. It was a danger to me & the fish. I carry a net fulltime now & using it on the bigger fish is so much easier & safer.
Was known as Troutman1