Well the time has come

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
FuzzyOne

Re: Well the time has come

Post by FuzzyOne » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:25 am

Troutman wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:49 am
FuzzyOne wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:49 pm
I picked up a Folstaff last year after taking a spill. Couldn't imagine being on a river now without it. It's one of those purchases you wonder why you didn't get one sooner. 55 for the record! 🙄
I was actually looked @ that brand, but was out of stock :(
I bought the 50" from LL Bean. The 59" is in stock. I'm 5'11" and never really thought I needed the longer model.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/4905?or ... t_02&SS2=A

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:22 pm

Been using a Folstaff since I was in my late teens. Bad hips = bad balance, needed a staff to keep me upright especially in the days of boot foot waders without felt soles. These days I use it everywhere even small creeks. About 5 years ago I took a spill on a little brook and broke a fly box and a rib, now it rarely ever even gets folded up, standard piece of my gear.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:40 pm

I moved up from a Folstaff that was too short to the long model as I'm 6' 1" and needed the longer staff. I don't use mine often, but sometimes I'm holding a stout survey rod for my river restoration work which is even longer and serves the exact same purpose.

Man, we have a lot of old farts on this site! Myself included!! :lol:
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:40 pm

FuzzyOne wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:25 am
Troutman wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:49 am
FuzzyOne wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:49 pm
I picked up a Folstaff last year after taking a spill. Couldn't imagine being on a river now without it. It's one of those purchases you wonder why you didn't get one sooner. 55 for the record! 🙄
I was actually looked @ that brand, but was out of stock :(
I bought the 50" from LL Bean. The 59" is in stock. I'm 5'11" and never really thought I needed the longer model.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/4905?or ... t_02&SS2=A
5-11 here also. this is adjustable from 51-56 inches. I havent waded with it yet as waters are running low now. But Ill soon find out on what height I will need to be set @
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:41 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:40 pm
Man, we have a lot of old farts on this site! Myself included!! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Vance

Post by Vance » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:28 am

Hey Rusty, I am 85 years old and I am a young old fart. Isn’t life great. Sitting on my porch and laughing at all of the reports about falling in with out a wading staff. I cannot tell you how many times I have fallen in without my wading staff, but it was a lot. Everybody keep up the good writing but for me going to get another cup of coffee. Bye everyone, Bill the mailman

Johnw

Post by Johnw » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:44 am

I will be 86 in a few days and only found a need for a wading staff when I reached 80. Feel very fortunate to still be here and able to continue fishing and playing golf and running a small gardening business.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:53 am

My life of sports injuries and other injuries to my ankles (both) and one knee means I am no longer as strong on my feet as I once was, and that's in or out of a river. The knee was surgically repaired, but you always lose a little strength when they do that. The ankles have some arthritis which will get worse over time, of course. I fear a slight meniscus tear on the "good knee" as well. So I don't try to be a hero, and I use the wading staff as needed these days. Even with studded felt soles.

MaCe1

Post by MaCe1 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:09 pm

I use a trekking pole because I'm cheap, you can get them for $25 at Dicks. I keep mine tethered to my vest so it's there all the time when I'm wading. I'm 61, and have no desire to fall in a cold stream.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:23 pm

Vance wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:28 am
Hey Rusty, I am 85 years old and I am a young old fart. Isn’t life great. Sitting on my porch and laughing at all of the reports about falling in with out a wading staff. I cannot tell you how many times I have fallen in without my wading staff, but it was a lot. Everybody keep up the good writing but for me going to get another cup of coffee. Bye everyone, Bill the mailman
Bless you sir........
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:24 pm

MaCe1 wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:09 pm
I use a trekking pole because I'm cheap, you can get them for $25 at Dicks. I keep mine tethered to my vest so it's there all the time when I'm wading. I'm 61, and have no desire to fall in a cold stream.
they are actually very sturdy. Just a little pita to deal with
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:25 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:53 am
My life of sports injuries and other injuries to my ankles (both) and one knee means I am no longer as strong on my feet as I once was, and that's in or out of a river. The knee was surgically repaired, but you always lose a little strength when they do that. The ankles have some arthritis which will get worse over time, of course. I fear a slight meniscus tear on the "good knee" as well. So I don't try to be a hero, and I use the wading staff as needed these days. Even with studded felt soles.
probably the best combo out there is studded felt soles & a wading staff
Was known as Troutman1

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:27 pm

Troutman wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:25 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:53 am
probably the best combo out there is studded felt soles & a wading staff
100%