Any New Toys Purchased or Waiting on Delivery?

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
cappy

Any New Toys Purchased or Waiting on Delivery?

Post by cappy » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:40 pm

Sites been slow, and so has fishing for Trout, so I thought I would start a topic.

As for me I picked up a new Orvis SFG 3-weight. Waiting on cool temps and higher flows to break the ice with it. Little light for the WB, may have to get my PA license, and hit a limestone creek if I can't hold out.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Rusty Spinner

Re: Any New Toys Purchased or Waiting on Delivery?

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:33 pm

With a recession just now arriving and the recent bad economic news we hear each and every day, I'm hoarding my money and not spending it right now. I think we will wind up being worse off than in the late 70s under the Carter Administration. This isn't going to be over in a month or even 10 months. This will languish into the next President's term as happened to Reagan in 1980 when he inherited a hot mess. Fiscal frugality will be your friend unless you have ample funds for toys.

That said, best of luck with your new rod!
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:18 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:33 pm
With a recession just now arriving and the recent bad economic news we hear each and every day, I'm hoarding my money and not spending it right now. I think we will wind up being worse off than in the late 70s under the Carter Administration. This isn't going to be over in a month or even 10 months. This will languish into the next President's term as happened to Reagan in 1980 when he inherited a hot mess. Fiscal frugality will be your friend unless you have ample funds for toys.

What is odd, is the restaurant is busier than ever...hope it doesn't fall of a cliff soon.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:46 pm

lightenup wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:18 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:33 pm

What is odd, is the restaurant is busier than ever...hope it doesn't fall of a cliff soon.
I agree for your sake! You are in an area a little more insulated as it were from recession or so I hope.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:05 am

picked up this Shimano Stella FJ 1000 a few months ago

Then my 2022 Shimano FK 1000 came in a few days ago

retiring this 2014 Shimano Stella C2000 that served me well for 8 years. Gonna be my work reel Im gonna keep in my service van when passing my new streams & rivers
Was known as Troutman1

Vance

Post by Vance » Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:27 am

Hi, Went to lunch with my wife yesterday on LBI. If there is a recession I did not see it as the restaurant was packed. The traffic going to the Island was bumper to bumper. Even with gas prices above $4.00. The people were still going to the Island. I guess the people just want to look at the Ocean and be on the beach. I was at my daughters house on the Island and only live like twenty min. away. Bill the Mailman

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:52 am

Vance wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:27 am
Hi, Went to lunch with my wife yesterday on LBI. If there is a recession I did not see it as the restaurant was packed. The traffic going to the Island was bumper to bumper. Even with gas prices above $4.00. The people were still going to the Island. I guess the people just want to look at the Ocean and be on the beach. I was at my daughters house on the Island and only live like twenty min. away. Bill the Mailman
There's a weird dynamic right now. Even with rising prices pretty much everywhere, people are still out doing things, traveling, and spending money, kind of thumbing their noses at recession. I guess that's what happens when you lose 2 years of your life to pandemic, you get that "you never know when tomorrow can be my last tomorrow". Got to enjoy life while you have it.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

cappy

Post by cappy » Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:10 am

Well, one post on topic. Not much into spinning gear, however cool looking reels Troutman.
I still have a small Zebco from the 70's. It looks and operates great, I'm sure not as smooth as the new reels. I'll occasionally take it to a reservoir this time of year to see what is cruising close to the banks.
Anatole France

martalus

Post by martalus » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:09 am

I have been surprised how busy restaurants have been here in the DC area-People seem happy to spend $10 plus for a beer and $14 plus for a glass of wine. I simply cant enjoy a drink at that price.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:24 am

cappy wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:10 am
Well, one post on topic. Not much into spinning gear, however cool looking reels Troutman.
I still have a small Zebco from the 70's. It looks and operates great, I'm sure not as smooth as the new reels. I'll occasionally take it to a reservoir this time of year to see what is cruising close to the banks.
cappy, I decided to leave the post up even though some of us (myself included) were a bit off topic. It's summer and the recession and overall economy is on everyone's minds. So long as it doesn't turn to political finger pointing, all is good.

To stay on topic, I bought nothing new. :lol:

cappy

Post by cappy » Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:53 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:24 am
cappy wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:10 am
cappy, I decided to leave the post up even though some of us (myself included) were a bit off topic. It's summer and the recession and overall economy is on everyone's minds. So long as it doesn't turn to political finger pointing, all is good.

To stay on topic, I bought nothing new. :lol:
LOL thanks Rusty, it's all good. There is plenty on TV and radio about the recession. I was hoping to have an upbeat topic about new toys.

Troutman - I looked up those reels out of curiosity, dam they get expensive - LOL
Anatole France

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:48 pm

cappy wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:53 pm
Troutman - I looked up those reels out of curiosity, dam they get expensive - LOL
:lol: :lol: :lol:

& some people think spin fishing is cheap.... :o :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

There are certain things I will spend $$$$ on. I can catch fish with a walmart $29.99 combo special. But the experience will not be the same. Ask me how I know :lol: :lol: .Some people will spend big $$$$$ on a FishPond net. I chose to buy a ebay 29.99 special :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

cappy

Post by cappy » Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:38 am

Yea, I can see how a high end machined, and hand assembled spinning reel would cost more then a high end fly reel. Lot more going on internally, that is for sure.
Anatole France

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:16 am

Unfortunately my spending is halted on fishing equipment, rack in the shed is full and my sons getting married in September. ALL extra cash being saved for that!

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:56 am

I just splurged for a new $9 furled leader!
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

cappy

Post by cappy » Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:38 pm

Drossi wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:56 am
I just splurged for a new $9 furled leader!
Nice, one of fly fishing's greatest innovations.
Anatole France

joe_panella

Post by joe_panella » Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:51 pm

Robert Bolt just emailed me as he is starting on my 8'2 4wt. Now time to start selling stuff to finance it.

cappy

Post by cappy » Sat Jul 16, 2022 6:51 pm

joe_panella wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:51 pm
Robert Bolt just emailed me as he is starting on my 8'2 4wt. Now time to start selling stuff to finance it.
Wow, now that is a purchase. How long was the wait for the email, and how long till it ships?
Anatole France

rollcast

Post by rollcast » Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:27 am

joe_panella wrote:
I don't care much for the status of fine fly fishing equipment. What I enjoy is making it myself. I learned a long time ago how to build a plastic fly rod myself, using blanks from some of the finest builders on earth. It really is simple, and I can do a better build than most manufacturers, making a rod much different, customized, with better components than the original manufacturers, for much less money. Same goes for bamboo. I've bought blanks of the most noted tapers for under $400 and built out beautiful rods for under $500 in parts. In the last decade, I've built several bamboo rods that rival the best on the market, awesome fishing rods. I will never resell these rods, so value isn't a consideration, Plus I have the pride of a job done well, by MYSELF.

Think about DIY, it really isn't that difficult.

However... Reels are a different animal. I salivate over vintage Hardy sh!t... Got a cxbinet full of reels that are worth a small fortune! I recently picked up Baby Bougle for $400! Been looking for one for a long toime.

Dave

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:30 am

joe_panella wrote:
Pix please once you have it!