Warm Water Alternatives

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
MickyFinn

Warm Water Alternatives

Post by MickyFinn » Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:35 am

Right, I get it: Leave the trout alone when it's hot and the water is warmed up. Fish for alternative species. But suppose you enjoy wading and fishing streams and rivers and aren't so fond of the pond--or lake?

Sunfish and bass are fun, too.

Any suggestions for places to find warm water species--in current--and in or close to Hunterdon County?

Seems as if so much water has been heavily fished since the beginning of the pandemic.

cappy

Re: Warm Water Alternatives

Post by cappy » Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:45 am

Delaware river, Raritan River main stem, lower Paulinskill, lower sections of the south branch below Clinton
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:00 pm

Pretty much any of the stocked streams that aren't designated "trout maintenance" will have populations of bass, sunnies, and the ever present fall fish.

I too ain't much of a pond/lake guy. Don't have a watercraft and don't really have the patience to learn that game.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:19 pm

cappy wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:45 am
Delaware river, Raritan River main stem, lower Paulinskill, lower sections of the south branch below Clinton
South Branch between Flemington and Clinton doesn't get a lot of pressure at all... There are Pike, Catfish, Largemouth, Smallmouth, carp, sunnies, maybe an odd tiger muskie, rock bass, BIG ASS SUCKERS and lots of them....access is good also.
There is a trail that starts by the Clinton House that runs a way, and also access by the water treatment plant, Camp Carr, and many bridge easments and county trails to walk the shore line. Don't miss "shit lake" as we called it when we were kids. When you find it you will know. There are some big f'in bass in there.

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:02 am

Drossi wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:00 pm
Pretty much any of the stocked streams that aren't designated "trout maintenance" will have populations of bass, sunnies, and the ever present fall fish.

I too ain't much of a pond/lake guy. Don't have a watercraft and don't really have the patience to learn that game.
Not to dismiss the OP's disinterest in ponds and lakes, but I used to feel that way too before spending $100 on an inflatable kayak. Now I love fishing reservoirs, lakes, and ponds more than wading for trout in the fall. It opens up so much access and opportunity if you have a watercraft.

Otherwise, I like the Big D for swinging wet flies for small mouth bass. Try wading around the area just above where the Musky dumps out--you'll see some boulders along the shoreline. There's also a 2-star bar there called Hootz that still spit-shines their beer glasses. I mean, what can go wrong?
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

MickyFinn

Post by MickyFinn » Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:31 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions!

I think I've been in a canoe on that Shit Lake--damned shallow if that's the one.

MF

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:27 pm

i fish for trout in the summer months all the time ;)
Was known as Troutman1

MickyFinn

Post by MickyFinn » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:34 am

Explored the hinterlands of the SBR the other day--like a jungle, hot and humid. Found two smallies--and they were: 12 and 10 inches. Caught a ridiculous number of mostly-small sunfish. Fun, anyway. But, of course it would have been great to connect with more smallmouth--and larger ones! :)

I've had better outings in that same stretch of the SBR in years past. Between high temps, the effects of last spring's flooding on the river topography--and, maybe, increased fishing pressure since Covid there just doesn't seem to be the same amount of fish, locally.

MF

kype

Post by kype » Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:28 pm

main stem of the raritan. anywhere is good. i make out pretty good anywhere from the confluence all the way down to bound brook. stripers are there as well. you could also fish the millstone river or dnr canal for pickeral.