Summer Smallie fishing in "trout" waters

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Razorbacker

Summer Smallie fishing in "trout" waters

Post by Razorbacker » Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:53 pm

I took the pup to Natirar Park yesterday for a walk and took opportunity to check the flow of the NB. I have not been fishing in a couple months now. It actually wasn't quite as bad as I expected but obviously still hurting.

That got me thinking about smallmouth fishing in trout-stocked waters like the NB, Black/Lamington, lower SBR, Muskie, etc. I want to get out a couple days in August but I'm hesitant as I always feel like I'm going to get flamed by someone passing by thinking Im trout fishing in 70 degree water.. I could always take the spinning rod and chuck plugs or rubber swim baits, but Id rather still use a fly rod.

Personally I dont care if I accidentally catch a stocker in summer.. if I did I would just keep it. But I do worry about accidental wild trout. Any similar concerns?

Troutman

Re: Summer Smallie fishing in "trout" waters

Post by Troutman » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:01 pm

who cares what other people thinks. you paid for a fishing license. I for 1 dont to any freshwater fishing in NJ. As its to hot & the dog days of summer makes it unenjoyable for me. I rather just drive 2.5 hrs upstate NY to trout fish. Just go look @ the KLG. packed with Simms poster boys fly fishing all day :o
Was known as Troutman1

kype

Re: Summer Smallie fishing in "trout" waters

Post by kype » Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:03 pm

i enjoy summer smallmouth fishing. shorts, wet wading, throwing poppers, and clousers. theres a lot of fish to be caught from june-sept. then fall, the smallmouth group up and feed heavily before the winter. get out there and catch them! once late oct comes, its back to trout.

if your throwing "bass flys" in trout stocked water during the summer. chances are you will be catching bass not the trout. so dont worry about it.