R.I.P. - Jim Holland

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Rusty Spinner

R.I.P. - Jim Holland

Post by Rusty Spinner » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:24 pm

It is with deep personal sadness that I report the passing of my friend, James (Jim) Holland, owner of Shannon's Fly & Tackle Shop in Califon. Jim fought a long and brave fight with cancer, but today Jim lost that battle. Please post up services once they are published as I am in CT on business and will plan to run home when they hold his services. I'm sorry to have to report this as most of you likely know Jim. In time, I will be able to talk about all that his friendship has meant to me and how all his hard work has led to many great conservation projects fleshed out in the back room of the fly shop. Rest In Peace, my friend!
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Twism86

Re: R.I.P. - Jim Holland

Post by Twism86 » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:44 pm

To Jim: I am happy to have called you a friend. Even it that just meant hanging around Shannon’s for nearly the last 20 years. Getting fishing advice. Tying flies in the back room. Anytime I drove through Califon and saw your car I knew I could stop in for a friendly chat, grab some flies and catch up. Those moments I now treasure and it reinforces how important it is to keep in touch, stop bye just to say hello and really enjoy every moment we have with those we care about. RIP, Jim Holland, my friend.
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:55 pm

truly a sad day, RIP Jim Holland. went to your fly shop many of times. Always enjoyed the conversations
Was known as Troutman1

martalus

Post by martalus » Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:45 pm

That is terrible news-I spent many hours with him in the shop drinking coffee and talking with him about all the great fishing spots that we both knew. May the trout be rising for him forever!

cappy

Post by cappy » Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:04 am

I extend my condolences to his close friends and family.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Bubba Zinetti

Post by Bubba Zinetti » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:22 am

This totally sucks, he started us on our fly tying journey with his Sunday classes, many years ago.

Bubba Zinetti

Post by Bubba Zinetti » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:30 am

Instead of just ranting about how bad this is I'm offering a remembrance:
At one of the classes we were going to tie an adams. He said that he had some special dubbing that we could use "It will definitely increase your chances to catch fish". So, he gave us some grey fluff and we dutifully followed the instructions. When we were done I asked him what kind of dubbing it was. He replied that it was "cat". Huh? It turned out that he gave us some of the cat fluff from the current shop cat. We all had a laugh and joked about it for the next few sessions.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:23 am

Very sad news, Jim was so helpful when I started my journey fly fishing giving me advice and hand picking flies for me. He will be missed by all who have stepped into the shop, even just one. Rest in peace Jim.

SRT

Post by SRT » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:22 pm

This is sad news. Jim was a good friend, and a wonderful owner of a fly shop. He made everyone feel welcomed, he had kind words and conversation for all. I did not stop by nearly enough. Jim will be missed.

***** Cancer.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:00 am

We will miss you Jimmy, the time jammin' at the ruins will stick...

PortMurrayAng

Post by PortMurrayAng » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:40 pm

As testament to Jim's unwavering will, the shop remaims open. The summer hours are slightly reduced on weekends - noon close - but the team is steadfast and moving forward into Shannon's 50th year.

Monday, I was up at my usual pre-dawn hour and decided to go to the river and think about Jim and others who think about everyday. I swunf my thermometer a few feet in and forgot about it, remembering Jim's devotion to a size 16 Adams. Like so many great patterns, the Adams isn't named for (and by) its creator and instead was given the name of the tyer's friend. Jim, as folks here attest, gave people his rod, reel and even boots when needed. It's no wonder that was perhaps his most trusted pattern. There are so many people who knew him well and fished with him often who may want to comment on that point.

Anyhoo, the thermometer read 66 after some time in the water so I put together a rod from a pond trip the night before, switched out leaders for a 6x and put on an Adams size 16.

In less than two minutes a spunky little rainbow slammed it on a decent drift under some overhang and was quickly released. I went home after that.

See you in the shop - before noon on the weekends until September.

Roy

MickyFinn

Post by MickyFinn » Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:06 pm

Sad news and my condolences to his family. May it be a reminder to us all: carpe diem.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:58 am

The first time we met, Les Shannon still owned the fly shop and I was fishing Brown's Corner before they close the season to stock each spring. A spin fisherman had just left leaving me the entire pool, and Quill Gordons were pouring off the SBR. That alone should tell you this was many moons ago as that hatch is all but gone from that river today. I'm guessing this was between 26-28 years ago now. He wasn't fishing but rather stopped by to see what was going on with hatches and fishing. I recall the green hat and our brief conversation that late afternoon and Jimmy asking me if I had shopped in Les' shop (which I had not). I can't recall the next time(s) we met, but perhaps not until Les passed and Jim and his first partner acquired the shop from Les' widow. By then I had moved from Jefferson to Flanders, and Shannon's was only 20 minutes away. I found myself spending more and more time shopping there, and over time I got to know Jim better and better. It was probably my work with TIC that first got us talking about coldwater conservation, and a deep friendship developed. Fast forward to about 16 years ago and I was getting ready to go to work for TU on the Musky when I started to guide some on my own. Jim caught wind of my guiding and asked if I would take some trips for the shop. I was "checked out" by then head guide and our buddy Dan and given a thumbs up. A year later I was working for TU and head guide for the shop which allowed me to make my mortgage payments each month as TU pays poverty wages. Our friendship deepened and we spent many hours on the phone or on the water fishing or in the back room of the shop "fixing the world's problems" and discussing everything from our beloved NY Yankees to where we would focus on restoration to benefit anglers fishing for trout in the state.

When Jimmy called me with the bad news in January, I was crushed. Being a cancer survivor myself, I know all too well the path he was about to embark upon. We spent many hours on the phone over the last 7 months, and I was fortunate to see him several days before he lost his battle. He was in very good spirits that Monday at Morristown Memorial, but it was clear that the chemo and the cancer had taken their toll on his body. Jim was focused on the future and believed he could beat cancer, and he was at peace with the Lord and with his life to that point. I will miss him more than I can say. Until we meet again on that dry fly pool in Heaven, rest in peace my friend.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Aug 08, 2022 10:15 am

barkeater

Post by barkeater » Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:22 pm

I think a proper tribute to Jim would be renaming the one fly contest to the "Jim Holland Cup". Jim was the master of ceremonies at the contest and without him there would have been no contest. I would be happy to donate money for a trophy or plaque. This is up to the state council of TU but I really feel this should be done.

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:48 pm

barkeater wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:22 pm
I think a proper tribute to Jim would be renaming the one fly contest to the "Jim Holland Cup". Jim was the master of ceremonies at the contest and without him there would have been no contest. I would be happy to donate money for a trophy or plaque. This is up to the state council of TU but I really feel this should be done.

Good idea. He's needs some kind of angling memorial.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:06 am

barkeater wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:22 pm
Actually, the event was held by Bill Asdal owner of the Raritan Inn and Shannon's business partner in their Private Waters. Jim emceed the event of course. It is not a TU event which is why it is called the NJ Angler of the Year. It always had two groups outside TU compete. That tradition will continue on 11/6 this fall. I know Bill has ideas as do I and others on how best to memorialize Jim's life and his love for trout and the South Branch. Stay tuned for details as we didn't want to rush into anything. Most of us are still in mourning. I know I feel that way personally. This has been a very tough loss.