New member, saying hello

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
kype

Re: New member, saying hello

Post by kype » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:49 am

the graphite mill is in asbury. warren glen dam is farther downstream past the bloomsbury dam. i live below the bloomsbury dam. about half a mile.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:48 am

Thanks

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:58 am

lightenup wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:15 pm
Troutman wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:54 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:50 am

The US Army Corps of Engineering have been working to remove the Bloomsbury dam for the last 15 1/2 years. Typical of Army Corps projects, they take 10X longer and cost 5X more! After that dam and the Warren Glen Mill dam above 519 in the Musky Gorge are removed, we still have Asbury dam, Penwell dam, and then remnant dams up to Lake Hopatcong dam. Lake H dam will never be removed, of course, but the others all will in time with the current exception being Penwell which is still in use by its owner.

As for the sediment storage above the Warren Glen Mill dam, it would more than fill the entire Empire State Building. We did those calculations about 10 years ago. That's a lot of sediment!
Saxton falls ?
Is the Warren Glen Dam the one by the graphite mill? The Cahills hatch very well above there and it is fun to cast flies from the bridge and watch...careful of the powerlines on your back cast. :D
The now removed Hughesville Mill dam was a couple hundred yards below the 519 bridge over the Musky which was immediately downstream of the Warren Glen paper mill. The Warren Glen mill dam is about 3/4 mile up in the Musky Gorge above the only remaining paper mill there at 519 if that answers your question?
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:17 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:58 am
lightenup wrote:
Troutman wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:54 pm

Saxton falls ?
Is the Warren Glen Dam the one by the graphite mill? The Cahills hatch very well above there and it is fun to cast flies from the bridge and watch...careful of the powerlines on your back cast. :D
The now removed Hughesville Mill dam was a couple hundred yards below the 519 bridge over the Musky which was immediately downstream of the Warren Glen paper mill. The Warren Glen mill dam is about 3/4 mile up in the Musky Gorge above the only remaining paper mill there at 519 if that answers your question?
It's the one under 643 in Asbury, my lazy ass decided to look on Google maps instead of asking here..that one needs to come down as well..

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:35 am

lightenup wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:17 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
lightenup wrote:

It's the one under 643 in Asbury, my lazy ass decided to look on Google maps instead of asking here..that one needs to come down as well..
That is called the Asbury Mill dam, and Army Corps has been working on that for 16 years next February 2nd. I know, I was there that day with them for the first time. Every year they tell us "it's going out to bid and will be removed this year". We just heard that again yesterday, in fact. Or at least I heard it yesterday anyway. But that's 100% normal for the Army Corps - they take ten times longer and the cost is ten times higher than the private sector. But I also learned that the Musky Watershed group is now leading the removal of the huge dam in the Musky Gorge which is the Warren Glen Mill dam. I will likely team up on that project with some larger engineering and construction firms to help ensure that job is done right. I have always felt that dam being removed and a restored Musky Glen that rivals the KLG for its beauty would be the cherry on top of my restoration career.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Fri Sep 09, 2022 3:40 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:35 am
lightenup wrote:
Rusty Spinner wrote:

That is called the Asbury Mill dam, and Army Corps has been working on that for 16 years next February 2nd. I know, I was there that day with them for the first time. Every year they tell us "it's going out to bid and will be removed this year". We just heard that again yesterday, in fact. Or at least I heard it yesterday anyway. But that's 100% normal for the Army Corps - they take ten times longer and the cost is ten times higher than the private sector. But I also learned that the Musky Watershed group is now leading the removal of the huge dam in the Musky Gorge which is the Warren Glen Mill dam. I will likely team up on that project with some larger engineering and construction firms to help ensure that job is done right. I have always felt that dam being removed and a restored Musky Glen that rivals the KLG for its beauty would be the cherry on top of my restoration career.
Thanks and good luck!!

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:47 am

Sounds like significant funding is coming in to remove the massive Warren Glen Mill dam in the Musky Gorge. I would love to do the in-stream restoration once the dam and most of the sediment is dredged or dug out. I may try to jump on one of the teams that will form once this project goes out to bid. Good news for the Musky!

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:36 pm

kype wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:49 am
i live below the bloomsbury dam. about half a mile.
Then you will know this stretch on the musky then ;) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:43 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:35 am
lightenup wrote:
Rusty Spinner wrote:

has alot of sediment held back from the graphite dam also.

Imo the musky gorge is prettier place to fish & more scenic. Its pretty tuff terrain to access in certain spots thou

I hope you get a piece of the restoration or the removal of the glen warren mill dam....
Was known as Troutman1

kype

Post by kype » Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:40 am

Troutman wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:36 pm
kype wrote:
lol yes i know where that sign is.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:00 pm

kype wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:40 am
Troutman wrote:
kype wrote:
I fish his stretch sometimes. he is actually a nice guy. Well @ least to me anyways ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

kype

Post by kype » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:26 pm

Troutman wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:00 pm
kype wrote:
Troutman wrote:

I fish his stretch sometimes. he is actually a nice guy. Well @ least to me anyways ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
if your ever in the area and wanna fish. let me know. im 8 houses downstream from that sign. i fish the musky all fall and winter.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:41 pm

kype wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:26 pm
Troutman wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:00 pm
kype wrote:

if your ever in the area and wanna fish. let me know. im 8 houses downstream from that sign. i fish the musky all fall and winter.
Thanks for the invite. You must be 1 of those houses around the curve before the tunnel ;)
Was known as Troutman1