Fall stocking

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
MikeB

Fall stocking

Post by MikeB » Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:54 am

Let me start by saying that it is EVERY licensed fisherman w a trout stamp to fish how they want and keep what they catch.

Yesterday I took a trip tp Stevens State Park to wet a line (FINALLY had a day off to do this). There were no less than 5 people fishing the bridge in the same hole where the fish were sitting post stocking.

My thoughts: would it make more sense to stock on the 11th and open the fishing 48 hours later? One would think that the fish need time to acclimate and move around. I met one guy yesterday who said "they are clearing out what was just stocked in a day, its ridiculous."

Just curious to your thoughts.

Rusty Spinner

Re: Fall stocking

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:11 pm

MikeB wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:54 am
Let me start by saying that it is EVERY licensed fisherman w a trout stamp to fish how they want and keep what they catch.

Yesterday I took a trip tp Stevens State Park to wet a line (FINALLY had a day off to do this). There were no less than 5 people fishing the bridge in the same hole where the fish were sitting post stocking.

My thoughts: would it make more sense to stock on the 11th and open the fishing 48 hours later? One would think that the fish need time to acclimate and move around. I met one guy yesterday who said "they are clearing out what was just stocked in a day, its ridiculous."

Just curious to your thoughts.
Lots of ways to look at this issue. For one, the old saying goes: Stocked trout are like Doritos, Pequest will make more. These fish are meant to be caught and creeled or caught a few times before succumbing to something that eats them. Others will say that the Division shouldn't announce when or where they are stocked. But that won't work either. Having just helped stock the Musky two days ago, the cell phones going off with our volunteers with buddies of theirs calling all day to ask about how many and where was shocking. In the digital age, there is no way to hide when and where fish are stocked. Rest assured that yesterday's rains will have helped spread them out. I have always said that stocked fish and game brings out the worst in people. Stocked pheasants are even worse than stocked trout IMO.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

martalus

Post by martalus » Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:58 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC01EzA7BMc
I guess its the same in West Virginia-these guys are just waiting for the stocking trout to show up.

I guess everyone has their own reason to fish. Its not my cup of tea, but some would just prefer a sure catch.

I went hunting exactly once in my life-A friend of mine didn't have a dog and he asked me to come along as he knew that I liked the outdoors generally. Little did I know it was stocking week for pheasants and I was meant to be his 'dog' as he told me to go root around in bushes/brush piles and try to flush out pheasants. Everyone had to wait to sunrise to shoot so at like 715 am it sounded liked world war 3 had started with pheasants, dogs, and hunters everywhere. In the hour of 'hunting' I saw several disputes over birds as peoples dogs would go after birds and it was really unclear who shot which bird as there were dozens of guys around the perimeter and birds being flushed/shot in the middle. It didn't feel safe to me but no one else seemed to mind. Just like fishing right after the stocking truck comes, not my cup of tea. After about an hour everyone went home and me and my friend got to hike around the WMA we eventually flushed/shot a few birds in a more relaxed environment.

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Fri Oct 14, 2022 3:48 pm

They "should" close the season Monday-Thursday, stock, then open the season again on Friday. Never happen though cause there'd be howls of dissent. No matter, stocked rainbows are like doritos, they make more in the spring. Enough escape the onslaught to make it to get harvested on Opening day the next April.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

kype

Post by kype » Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:04 pm

i think a 48 hour wait is a good idea. or more. let the fish move around a bit and get use to the river. luckly we got a decent rain event yesterday and the levels are up to move some fish around. every fall and spring i chuckle at all the bridge fisherman catching trout in a hole where a truck just dumped them in. to each their own as long as they are licensed with a trout stamp. but thats not fishing IMO. i hope some are left because i fish all winter long. the winter is a great time to fish the rivers

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:15 pm

NJ trout fishery is mostly a put in & take out. they stock the fish with anticipation of people taking the fish home to eat. licenses are sold to help pay for the fish stockings. so they will need to keep people happy by catching & eating the fish. The minority of use are C&R. but the minority doesnt make up for the majority. the bucket & stringer guys are financing this. We reap the benefits also by enjoying the sport of fishing them. true anglers really dont enjoy fishing in a barrel full of fish. I know I dont anyway. Let this guys enjoy their fish for a few days, the streams & rivers will go back to normal for us to enjoy. Im actually waiting to go out next week to fish. as I dont like crowds
Was known as Troutman1

the royal coachman

Post by the royal coachman » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:22 am

It's been my experience that those 2-year fish don't bite well for a few days. That being said it's a put-and-take fisherie so who cares as long as they are following the law. To each his own.
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.