ice fishing fatalities

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Troutman

ice fishing fatalities

Post by Troutman » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:22 pm

Was known as Troutman1

lightenup

Re: ice fishing fatalities

Post by lightenup » Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:16 pm

Ice is fickle after a week of freezng in NJ...you won't catch me on ice unless its been freezing for a few weeks..at least . Death isn't worth ice fishing, maybe dry fly fishing in Montana, but not ice fishing. Sorry for their families.

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:23 pm

This is really sad . Unfortunately there's another NJ site that these guys talk about racing out as soon as it freezes which is insane . There is no editing the Internet , and it's just sad .

joe_panella

Post by joe_panella » Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:16 pm

I live in kinnelon and got alerts about this. I don't ice fish and can't think of anything less fun. I do feel bad for their families. Rip.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:25 pm

lightenup wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:16 pm
Ice is fickle after a week of freezng in NJ...you won't catch me on ice unless its been freezing for a few weeks..at least . Death isn't worth ice fishing, maybe dry fly fishing in Montana, but not ice fishing. Sorry for their families.
so true....
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:26 pm

Jaybird wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:23 pm
This is really sad . Unfortunately there's another NJ site that these guys talk about racing out as soon as it freezes which is insane . There is no editing the Internet , and it's just sad .
yes it is ....
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:27 pm

joe_panella wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:16 pm
I live in kinnelon and got alerts about this. I don't ice fish and can't think of anything less fun. I do feel bad for their families. Rip.
not an ice person myself. I agree 100%
Was known as Troutman1

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:57 am

I kayak there with my sons all the time in the summer. It's a peaceful place but one has to remember how unforgiving nature can be. What a terrible way to go. RIP to those guys.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:55 pm

BiggerThomas wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:57 am
I kayak there with my sons all the time in the summer. It's a peaceful place but one has to remember how unforgiving nature can be. What a terrible way to go. RIP to those guys.
I kayak there also. I like that new kayak launch area they have set up. sure beats dragging that yak down hill.

Rip like you said for those guys
Was known as Troutman1

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:10 pm

Very sad, I feel really terrible for the families.

I live not to far from there and was stunned that anyone would even have considered venturing out on the ice there after the warmup and rain we had just after Christmas. I used to be a avid ice fisherman (still would be but it's a time consuming endeavor especially finding bait locally) but was always very conservative about what I used as a barometer for safe ice. Never messed around with anything under 6" or immediately following a warm up, especially if if was accompanied by fog or rain, both devastate ice. Late season ice is always iffy as well, I almost bit it on Swartswood in early March when I was a teenager. We went out in early am and by noon it had warmed into the 50's, you could see the ice flexing as we walked. Never cleaned up so slowly but quickly and made our way back to shore slowly spaced 30 feet apart. One of the very few times I've been scared fishing.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:24 pm

Drossi wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:10 pm

I live not to far from there and was stunned that anyone would even have considered venturing out on the ice there after the warmup and rain we had just after Christmas. I used to be a avid ice fisherman (still would be but it's a time consuming endeavor especially finding bait locally) but was always very conservative about what I used as a barometer for safe ice. Never messed around with anything under 6" or immediately following a warm up, especially if if was accompanied by fog or rain, both devastate ice. Late season ice is always iffy as well, I almost bit it on Swartswood in early March when I was a teenager. We went out in early am and by noon it had warmed into the 50's, you could see the ice flexing as we walked. Never cleaned up so slowly but quickly and made our way back to shore slowly spaced 30 feet apart. One of the very few times I've been scared fishing.
sad indeed. Ive never tried ice fishing. But Ive been invited many times. It doesnt look like my type of fishing. Not knocked the 1s that do it. Ive passed Budd lake many of times in the winter & see guys out there all the time. I say to myself more power to them ;)
Was known as Troutman1

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:52 am

Troutman wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 9:24 pm
Drossi wrote:

sad indeed. Ive never tried ice fishing. But Ive been invited many times. It doesnt look like my type of fishing. Not knocked the 1s that do it. Ive passed Budd lake many of times in the winter & see guys out there all the time. I say to myself more power to them ;)
Budd lake is a whole different animal than Splitrock when it comes to ice fishing. Much shallower and gets quicker and easier freeze up to safe ice. Honestly with the way our weather flips from cold to warm during the winter now I'd be hesitant to ice fish anything but the smaller lakes and ponds. Even Hopactcong would scare me unless we had a good 2 weeks of below freezing nights and slightly above freezing days.

For me ice fishing was really more about the people I went with. They're all gone now so I really don't have the motivation.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:00 pm

Drossi wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:52 am
Troutman wrote:
Drossi wrote:

Budd lake is a whole different animal than Splitrock when it comes to ice fishing. Much shallower and gets quicker and easier freeze up to safe ice. Honestly with the way our weather flips from cold to warm during the winter now I'd be hesitant to ice fish anything but the smaller lakes and ponds. Even Hopactcong would scare me unless we had a good 2 weeks of below freezing nights and slightly above freezing days.

For me ice fishing was really more about the people I went with. They're all gone now so I really don't have the motivation.
Ive seen few solo guys go out once in a while @ budd lake. But mostly in a group as you say. Also there is safety in numbers in case someone falls thru. They can help out more. For me I enjoy the solitude when Im fishing the rivers & streams. But do enjoy the group thing once in awhile.
Was known as Troutman1

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:46 pm

Troutman wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:00 pm
Drossi wrote:
Troutman wrote:

Ive seen few solo guys go out once in a while @ budd lake. But mostly in a group as you say. Also there is safety in numbers in case someone falls thru. They can help out more. For me I enjoy the solitude when Im fishing the rivers & streams. But do enjoy the group thing once in awhile.
Actually, if the ice is marginal, the last thing you want is others falling through with you. I wear a pair of ice spikes around my neck for my hands to pull myself out if I fall through, and I have those along with an inflatable life vest. But I also stop frequently to test the ice thickness as I walk out.

I've been ice fishing nearly as long as I have been regular fishing, so something along the lines of 53 years. It is more of a social event for us than fishing other ways. We grill and BS and drink and have a blast. Each year I crash in my buddy's basement bedroom after putting down one too many Irish car bombs and sleep it off. The catching is a bonus, but not the point of our winter days on the ice.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:06 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:46 pm
Troutman wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:00 pm
Drossi wrote:

Actually, if the ice is marginal, the last thing you want is others falling through with you. I wear a pair of ice spikes around my neck for my hands to pull myself out if I fall through, and I have those along with an inflatable life vest. But I also stop frequently to test the ice thickness as I walk out.

I've been ice fishing nearly as long as I have been regular fishing, so something along the lines of 53 years. It is more of a social event for us than fishing other ways. We grill and BS and drink and have a blast. Each year I crash in my buddy's basement bedroom after putting down one too many Irish car bombs and sleep it off. The catching is a bonus, but not the point of our winter days on the ice.
sounds like fun.....
Was known as Troutman1

Vance

Post by Vance » Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:46 pm

Hi, I have been ice fishing since I was 8years old. First with my Dad and brother in Jersey atSwartswood lake. When I moved to Pa. in 72 fished Shohola Falls lake. Would always have a great time in Pa.with the kids and German Shepard dog. We would get on the ice about 10:00 in the morning and about 12 my wife would come with hot chocolate and coffee with sandwich’s. We would fish till about 3:30 or so. The kids always bought there ice skates so they could skate. The dog was a moocher because all of the other ice fishermen would feed her. The ice was any where from 15” to 20” thick. Thank heavens for the gas ice auger I had. We would catch yellow perch and pickrel some time a bass. Brings back fond memories since I now live in south Jersey. Never went on the ice unless it was over 4” thick. You just had to be very careful because you really never knew if there was a spring under the ice. Also fished Greely Lake and Lake Walenpaupack in Hawley Pa. Bill the mailman

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:00 pm

Vance wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:46 pm
Hi, I have been ice fishing since I was 8years old. First with my Dad and brother in Jersey atSwartswood lake. When I moved to Pa. in 72 fished Shohola Falls lake. Would always have a great time in Pa.with the kids and German Shepard dog. We would get on the ice about 10:00 in the morning and about 12 my wife would come with hot chocolate and coffee with sandwich’s. We would fish till about 3:30 or so. The kids always bought there ice skates so they could skate. The dog was a moocher because all of the other ice fishermen would feed her. The ice was any where from 15” to 20” thick. Thank heavens for the gas ice auger I had. We would catch yellow perch and pickrel some time a bass. Brings back fond memories since I now live in south Jersey. Never went on the ice unless it was over 4” thick. You just had to be very careful because you really never knew if there was a spring under the ice. Also fished Greely Lake and Lake Walenpaupack in Hawley Pa. Bill the mailman
sounds like fun.....
Was known as Troutman1

Vance

Post by Vance » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:02 am

Troutman, Ice fishing is a lot of fun when you have family or friends. Some of the ice fisher men would bring grills out onto the ice and have big picnics besides ice fishing. On Shohola Falls Lake there is a eagles nest and most of the ice fishing crowd would throw a perch or two on to the ice about 100 feet from where they were fishing just to watch the Bald Eagles come down and get there meal Even with all the picnics on the ice everyone would pick up after them selves so no crap was left on the ice. If you have never gone ice fishing you have to give it a try. Go out with friends or family bring what ever to drink and food. Would get home after ice fishing and filet the perch and wife would be cooking the filets up and kids were eating them like potato chips. Just dress warm and be safe on the ice. Bill the mailman

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:33 pm

Vance wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:02 am
Troutman, Ice fishing is a lot of fun when you have family or friends. Some of the ice fisher men would bring grills out onto the ice and have big picnics besides ice fishing. On Shohola Falls Lake there is a eagles nest and most of the ice fishing crowd would throw a perch or two on to the ice about 100 feet from where they were fishing just to watch the Bald Eagles come down and get there meal Even with all the picnics on the ice everyone would pick up after them selves so no crap was left on the ice. If you have never gone ice fishing you have to give it a try. Go out with friends or family bring what ever to drink and food. Would get home after ice fishing and filet the perch and wife would be cooking the filets up and kids were eating them like potato chips. Just dress warm and be safe on the ice. Bill the mailman
Mite give it a go before this old body give out ;)
Was known as Troutman1

martalus

Post by martalus » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:39 am

Ice fishing is great when conditions are right. This year might be messed up with this mild rainy weather. You really need a week or two of temps consistently below freezing (day and night) to get good ice. Those kind of cold snaps are just not that reliable every year in NJ. But when you time it right with a mild day in the 30s-40s with light wind after a long cold snap and you hone in on some actively feeding fish and good company, it can be a lot of fun. When I used to ice fish more regularly, we would drill over a dozen holes in a grid in likely spots along the weedline for jigging panfish and then several more holes for tip ups for pickerel/bass. When jigging, dont spend more than a minute or two at a hole if you are getting any action and move to the next one. Fish school up and dont move that much in winter.