Shannon's soft re-opening

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Rusty Spinner

Shannon's soft re-opening

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:52 pm

Shannon's is open, but on a limited basis. I visited with the new owners the other day and was pleasantly surprised to see the entire inside painted and all the clutter in the back room removed. Because the owners live very close by, they have no need to store a lot of inventory on site or keep a desk and work station in that room. Now it will be a mix of additional retail space with ample room for free weekend fly tying classes and the like. They will be having a more formal re-opening in spring once all things are set. Also, they have a new phone # and that is (908) 867-8067. The staff other than ownership has remained the same as have the guides.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Troutman

Re: Shannon's soft re-opening

Post by Troutman » Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:53 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:52 pm
Shannon's is open, but on a limited basis. I visited with the new owners the other day and was pleasantly surprised to see the entire inside painted and all the clutter in the back room removed. Because the owners live very close by, they have no need to store a lot of inventory on site or keep a desk and work station in that room. Now it will be a mix of additional retail space with ample room for free weekend fly tying classes and the like. They will be having a more formal re-opening in spring once all things are set. Also, they have a new phone # and that is (908) 867-8067. The staff other than ownership has remained the same as have the guides.
from what I understand. They wont be selling fishing license :?:
Was known as Troutman1

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:09 am

Troutman wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:53 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Correct, but they will have a tablet or laptop and printer so a client can do it him or herself. This is 2023, no need to drive to a store that sells licenses.

martalus

Post by martalus » Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:17 am

Wow, I knew Jim had passed away but didn't know it had changed hands. Who are the new owners?

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:07 pm

martalus wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:17 am
Wow, I knew Jim had passed away but didn't know it had changed hands. Who are the new owners?
The daughter and son in law of Bill and Marica Asdal, owners of the Raritan Inn which is also Shannon's Private Water and the host of the annual One Fly/Angler of the Year contest. A very nice young couple and former US Army officers. And both are fly anglers themselves.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:26 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:09 am
Troutman wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:53 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Correct, but they will have a tablet or laptop and printer so a client can do it him or herself. This is 2023, no need to drive to a store that sells licenses.
that will be cool. Ive purchased a few duplicates from them before when I lost them when I was up there. Super convenient. especially when the CO's do daily checks up in the KLG
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:27 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:07 pm
martalus wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:17 am
The daughter and son in law of Bill and Marica Asdal, owners of the Raritan Inn which is also Shannon's Private Water and the host of the annual One Fly/Angler of the Year contest. A very nice young couple and former US Army officers. And both are fly anglers themselves.
good to hear...
Was known as Troutman1

SRT

Post by SRT » Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:13 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Shannon's is open, but on a limited basis.
Are there limited hours posted or are they irregular and I would be better of calling? I would like to go buy and leave a few dollars to support the new owners. I always liked that shop and the vibe there, and was very appreciative of Jim and his welcome to the shop. It is situated in a great spot and easy striking distance from many trout waters if you should need tippet, or other consumables.

I am glad to see they are expanding a bit and cleaned up some.

redietz

Post by redietz » Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:46 pm

SRT wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:13 pm

I always thought the clutter gave the place a bit of charm.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:47 pm

redietz wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:46 pm
SRT wrote:

that character-charm reminded me of the old fishing stores when I was a kid :)
Was known as Troutman1

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:37 pm

Troutman wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:47 pm
redietz wrote:
SRT wrote:

redietz wrote:
SRT wrote:

Most of that will be kept as the display cases all seem to still be there and will be in full use now that it is painted inside. But the back room will now be more functional and increase their retail footprint. There was a lot of stuff crammed in a small store.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:50 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:37 pm
Troutman wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:47 pm
redietz wrote:

redietz wrote:
SRT wrote:

Most of that will be kept as the display cases all seem to still be there and will be in full use now that it is painted inside. But the back room will now be more functional and increase their retail footprint. There was a lot of stuff crammed in a small store.
Im just glad to hear that it will remain a tackle store dedicated to the area :D
Was known as Troutman1

troutfishing4life

Post by troutfishing4life » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:04 am

Been following them on social media and I like the fact the post daily water temps and flows for local rivers

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:25 pm

Update: they are open daily, 9-4 for now. Expanded hours once primary fishing season kicks off. Also, they will have a booth at the Edison FF Show next week. The new owners are Abraham and Lyndsey Beates. I should tell them to change their last names to Beatis. :D

cappy

Post by cappy » Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:26 pm

I'll be sure to stop by their booth.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:45 pm

troutfishing4life wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:04 am
Been following them on social media and I like the fact the post daily water temps and flows for local rivers
just checked out their site. never knew this. thanks for the tip. this will help me before which river to try. My typical drive out to the big 5 is @ least an hour away :o
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:46 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:25 pm
Update: they are open daily, 9-4 for now. Expanded hours once primary fishing season kicks off. Also, they will have a booth at the Edison FF Show next week. The new owners are Abraham and Lyndsey Beates. I should tell them to change their last names to Beatis. :D
good info...

thx
Was known as Troutman1

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:18 am

Did all of you see that due to legal constraints they had to rebrand? South Branch Outfitters now, just saw this on IG this am.

I wish I knew them better, would have used my Firm to help them out with this.

barkeater

Post by barkeater » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:43 am

The green sign outside will remain according to the new owner Abraham Beates. I don't know all the particulars but from what I do know it seemed easier to go with a new name and entity.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:51 pm

barkeater wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:43 am
The green sign outside will remain according to the new owner Abraham Beates. I don't know all the particulars but from what I do know it seemed easier to go with a new name and entity.
MikeB wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:18 am
Did all of you see that due to legal constraints they had to rebrand? South Branch Outfitters now, just saw this on IG this am.

I wish I knew them better, would have used my Firm to help them out with this.
Yes, but I'm somewhat limited in what I want to say here. Bottom line is the shop was failing financially with Jimmy in the hospital most of last year until his passing. Bills weren't being paid and his partners were left in the dark and unable to right the ship. They were forced to bail out or face a sinking ship right after both retired from their regular jobs. Add to that the fact that Jim never had a Wil set up, so everything had to go through Probate. There were other factors I won't discuss at length in a public forum, but who ever liked Les Shannon in the first place? Not me, that much I know. I didn't begin to frequent the shop until Jim and his first partner bought it from Les's wife after Les passed. Most anglers will still think of it as Shannon's and it will remain a traditional Catskill style fly shop. Staff and guides are the same, just new owners and both very nice people.