Snow

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Vance

Snow

Post by Vance » Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:40 am

Hi Folks, This is just a thought. We will be in deep doo doo if we don’t get a lot of snow between now and April. We need the snow so it can melt into the aquifers so we have water for the streams come June and beyond. Sure I like the warm weather but let’s get some snow. Look at the streams and they are getting low and this is only February. Well any way started tying up some Quills and Hendrickson. Well that’s it for now. Bill the mailman

Troutman

Re: Snow

Post by Troutman » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:29 am

yes sir..... we do need some snow. the spring melt gradually maintain the rivers water levels
Was known as Troutman1

troutfishing4life

Post by troutfishing4life » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:45 am

Agreed we do need some snow.

cappy

Post by cappy » Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:52 am

My understanding is NJ and surrounding states does not rely on snowpack for ground water like the western states. We need rain, if we get at least the norm for the next few months we should be OK for Spring.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:11 am

cappy wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:52 am
My understanding is NJ and surrounding states does not rely on snowpack for ground water like the western states. We need rain, if we get at least the norm for the next few months we should be OK for Spring.
BINGO. we have a winner! The rest of you must stay after school for remedial work!!! :lol:

Snow is irrelevant for NJ so long as we are getting rain which we have. Streams remain at or slightly above normal flows, are dropping slightly this week, and we have rain tomorrow and Friday although not a lot on its way. More rain coming on the weather front for next week. Snow is critical to places like the Rockies and Sierras which see very little rain during the year, but get a lot of winter snow which melts fairly slowly in most years and is the key to flows for those states.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:14 am

And for the record I read that we MAY get a big snowstorm at some point in March. Either way it does not make a difference w the streams.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:42 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:11 am
cappy wrote:
BINGO. we have a winner! The rest of you must stay after school for remedial work!!! :lol:

Snow is irrelevant for NJ so long as we are getting rain which we have. Streams remain at or slightly above normal flows, are dropping slightly this week, and we have rain tomorrow and Friday although not a lot on its way. More rain coming on the weather front for next week. Snow is critical to places like the Rockies and Sierras which see very little rain during the year, but get a lot of winter snow which melts fairly slowly in most years and is the key to flows for those states.
Idk ...... I remember some late winters with long term snow & some rain made for some high flowing river during stocking season ;)
Was known as Troutman1

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:15 am

Troutman wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:42 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
cappy wrote:

Idk ...... I remember some late winters with long term snow & some rain made for some high flowing river during stocking season ;)
That's called runoff. It is not well captured into groundwater.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:58 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:15 am
Troutman wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:42 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:

That's called runoff. It is not well captured into groundwater.
that works for me
Was known as Troutman1