Wading-rain Jacket recommendations

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Troutman

Wading-rain Jacket recommendations

Post by Troutman » Sun Mar 26, 2023 10:27 pm

Hello anglers,

It is sad to say that my Green Simms wading-rain jacket is no longer water resistance. I have treated it many times with the stuff from simms to rejuvenate it. But It no loner works. So my guess it pretty worn out. So its time for a new 1. I was eyeing up a Simms G4 Pro jacket. But I also wanted to keep other options open. I keep hearing things that Simms is no longer what it used to be. Ive myself been using a pair of G4Z's for about 6 years now without issue. But its made in Montana. I was reading that some of the stuff is coming from overseas now. I really like the neoprene sleeves that keep the water out when raining and the occasion dipping of your hands into the river.

What do you guys & ladies have ? Have any recommendations ?

Thanks for always the positive comments

PFA only
Was known as Troutman1

Rusty Spinner

Re: Wading-rain Jacket recommendations

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:12 am

A true "rain jacket" will be rubberized to fend off any and all rain. That's not what you are talking about, you're talking about Gortex which will hold off some rain, but will eventually get soaked through. Two different animals. I use Simms Guide jacket if there is a brief, light rain, and I use a Columbia rain coat if it is raining steadily. Rain gear does not "breath", so you get very warm wearing it and often too warm. But you stay dry. Gortext only lasts so long before it begins to wick moisture into the fabric.

That said, I am unaware of any changes Simms has made in where it manufactures what. My favorite jacket is my black Simms Guide Jacket which was made in China well over a decade ago.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

troutfishing4life

Post by troutfishing4life » Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:56 am

Buy stuff made for being out on a boat in the salt water. That's the jacket I have now blocks the rain great

Anything made by Grundens

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:33 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:12 am
A true "rain jacket" will be rubberized to fend off any and all rain. That's not what you are talking about, you're talking about Gortex which will hold off some rain, but will eventually get soaked through. Two different animals. I use Simms Guide jacket if there is a brief, light rain, and I use a Columbia rain coat if it is raining steadily. Rain gear does not "breath", so you get very warm wearing it and often too warm. But you stay dry. Gortext only lasts so long before it begins to wick moisture into the fabric.

That said, I am unaware of any changes Simms has made in where it manufactures what. My favorite jacket is my black Simms Guide Jacket which was made in China well over a decade ago.
Thank you for the education :D . I know what to look for now
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:35 pm

troutfishing4life wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:56 am
Buy stuff made for being out on a boat in the salt water. That's the jacket I have now blocks the rain great

Anything made by Grundens
Ive been advised by a few guys about that brand. I was thinking about the grundens buoy jacket. read great reviews on it

thanks as always ... ;)
Was known as Troutman1

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:51 pm

The best rain coat I owned for fishing was made my Columbia and it was a "shorty version" because you are wearing chest waders and there is no need for a jacket to reach all the way down to your waist or lower. Mine finally wore out and I wasn't able to find another, so I have same brand, but regular length.

troutfishing4life

Post by troutfishing4life » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:14 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:51 pm
The best rain coat I owned for fishing was made my Columbia and it was a "shorty version" because you are wearing chest waders and there is no need for a jacket to reach all the way down to your waist or lower. Mine finally wore out and I wasn't able to find another, so I have same brand, but regular length.
I will show you the Grundens one I have and you will be buying one lol

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:24 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:

I was curious why the Simms DWR treatment-wash no longer works. So I called Simms. Their explanation was the fabric is work out & it will no longer hold the DWR chemicals. I needed a new 1 :o :lol: :lol: .
Was known as Troutman1

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:24 pm

Troutman wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:24 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:

I was curious why the Simms DWR treatment-wash no longer works. So I called Simms. Their explanation was the fabric is work out & it will no longer hold the DWR chemicals. I needed a new 1 :o :lol: :lol: .
Scotchgard will cure all your woes...thats all i use on rain gear and i have one vest style wader jacket like one mentioned above thats going on 20 yrs

Bubba Zinetti

Post by Bubba Zinetti » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:26 am

I have never, NEVER, had a DWR that couldn't be rejuvenated. My 20 year old reddington jacket still works fine (its the zipper that failed). Proper washing and rejuvenating does the trick every time. Here is what I use:

https://www.nikwax.com/en-us/products/C ... tech-wash/

https://www.nikwax.com/en-us/products/C ... -spray-on/

I disagree with Rusty regarding Gore-tex. It works well, and does breathe better than most waterproof fabrics. You do need to clean it at least once a season. The rubberized stuff will keep you dry, but it is heavy, and the coating breaks down over time. Especially if you keep it rolled up in the bottom of your pack.

Edited to add: https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice ... r-dwr.html

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:47 am

Bubba Zinetti wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:26 am
I have never, NEVER, had a DWR that couldn't be rejuvenated. My 20 year old reddington jacket still works fine (its the zipper that failed). Proper washing and rejuvenating does the trick every time. Here is what I use:

I disagree with Rusty regarding Gore-tex. It works well, and does breathe better than most waterproof fabrics. You do need to clean it at least once a season. The rubberized stuff will keep you dry, but it is heavy, and the coating breaks down over time. Especially if you keep it rolled up in the bottom of your pack.

GorTex = water resistant. Rubberized rain coat = waterproof. There is no opinion there. GorTex was never made to shed water all day, just for a short time. And GorTex is far heavier than a thin, rubberized raincoat.

Bubba Zinetti

Post by Bubba Zinetti » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:43 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:47 am
Bubba Zinetti wrote:

GorTex = water resistant. Rubberized rain coat = waterproof. There is no opinion there. GorTex was never made to shed water all day, just for a short time. And GorTex is far heavier than a thin, rubberized raincoat.
I don't want to get in a pissing contest, but Gore-tex is waterproof.
From the Wki
Gore-Tex is a waterproof, breathable fabric membrane and registered trademark of W. L. Gore & Associates. Invented in 1969, Gore-Tex can repel liquid water while allowing water vapor to pass through and is designed to be a lightweight, waterproof fabric for all-weather use. It is composed of stretched polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE), which is more commonly known by the generic trademark Teflon. The material is formally known as the generic term expanded PTFE (ePTFE).
Here is the link https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gore-Tex

Anecdote /= data, however, I have spent all day in driving rain in a gore-tex jacket and arrived home dry. Many times. The manufacture of gore-tex does produce some chemicals that are bad for the environment, but that is a different argument than gore-tex is not water proof.

Castaline

Post by Castaline » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:19 pm

Oh so Gore Tex works in waders that we all use but not good for raincoats. Got it. :lol:

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:33 pm

Bubba Zinetti wrote:
I have never, NEVER, had a DWR that couldn't be rejuvenated. My 20 year old reddington jacket still works fine (its the zipper that failed). Proper washing and rejuvenating does the trick every time.
Ive used the Simms stuff that washes & rejuvenate the jacket for years. But I dont treat every year thou. Maybe Ill try treating 1 last time before a purchase a new 1. To see what results it mite yield. But truthfully it has seen its better days :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:33 pm

Castaline wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:19 pm
Oh so Gore Tex works in waders that we all use but not good for raincoats. Got it. :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:18 pm

Put it in the dryer....does anyone read directions anymore?

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:18 pm

lightenup wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:18 pm
:lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Bubba Zinetti

Post by Bubba Zinetti » Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:33 am

lightenup wrote:
RTFM

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:08 pm

Bubba Zinetti wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:33 am
lightenup wrote:
RTFM
Eggzacktly