Flies

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Vance

Flies

Post by Vance » Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:53 pm

Hi Everybody, Just a question. Did anyone see any May flies hatching on Saturday or Easter Sunday? How about some caddis flies hatching? I will be going out next week as I have to much to do around the house. After winter everyone has a to do list from your spouse I am sure. As far as May flies like Quill Gordon’s or Hendricksons maybe Red Quills. Bill the mailman

lightenup

Re: Flies

Post by lightenup » Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:56 pm

Hi Bill, I was out last week and saw Caddis, the fish were taking pupae, I saw Hendrickson's, but not many and the fish were not interested in them, I saw stoneflies, but the fish didn't want those either...cadddis was the trick last week on the SBR..

Vance

Post by Vance » Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:32 am

Lightenup, kThank you for the reply. Bill

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:47 pm

I found Hendricksons and some Quill Gordons hatching on the SBR last Tuesday and fish were looking up. Went to the Musky for Saturday and while I didn't fish (manned the grill and taught from the bank), there was a good caddis emergence and fish were taking them below the film. Swinging a LaFontaine would have been the key that day. Finally, made it out yesterday on Easter in the afternoon and this time it was all Hendricksons and fish all looking up. They ate emergers and duns. Not a blanket hatch by any stretch, but every sailboat got eaten. SBR yesterday with bamboo and Rick Ege's old Hardy Princess reel screaming drag on one 16" holdover bow.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:06 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:47 pm
I found Hendricksons and some Quill Gordons hatching on the SBR last Tuesday and fish were looking up. Went to the Musky for Saturday and while I didn't fish (manned the grill and taught from the bank), there was a good caddis emergence and fish were taking them below the film. Swinging a LaFontaine would have been the key that day. Finally, made it out yesterday on Easter in the afternoon and this time it was all Hendricksons and fish all looking up. They ate emergers and duns. Not a blanket hatch by any stretch, but every sailboat got eaten. SBR yesterday with bamboo and Rick Ege's old Hardy Princess reel screaming drag on one 16" holdover bow.
I fished today for a couple hours. Hard to get into a good spot with the nice day, but I met 2 spin guys fishing to rising fish, and they let me sneak in upstream of them a bit. They had quantity and I got quality, a large holdover bow on a Hendrickson that jumped and ran, several times,the Winston Perfect was screaming ;) , and the biggest brown I have caught in years on a pheasant tail soft hackle.