Stuck ferrule

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
46er

Stuck ferrule

Post by 46er » Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:46 pm

Have a Fenwick 4 piece pack rod from the late '60's that has traveled with me over the past 50 odd years. It's a convertible rod where the handle can be reversed or spin or fly fishing. Its stuck, cannot remove the rod section. :cry: Have tried the 4 methods I know with no luck, but this is a bit different as its not ferrule to ferrule. Suggestions appreciated.
aka; Ralph

The irony of the Human condition is that we are so focused on reaching some point in our journey, some happiness, or some goal, that we seem to forget that the journey itself is where life happens.

Twism86

Re: Stuck ferrule

Post by Twism86 » Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:22 pm

The rubber mats used for opening a jar may help. Also try behind your back. Pull straight, do not twist!!
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

46er

Post by 46er » Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:54 pm

Tried that, also in the freezer for a while. Going to try some hair dryer heat followed by a bag of ice. I'm thinking with all the cork around it, the ferrule in the handle is insulated. If the dryer doesn't help, will soak it in some ice water.
aka; Ralph

The irony of the Human condition is that we are so focused on reaching some point in our journey, some happiness, or some goal, that we seem to forget that the journey itself is where life happens.

46er

Post by 46er » Mon May 01, 2023 4:31 pm

Finally, unstuck. Hair dryer on hot for about 5 minutes, into the freezer for 2 hours, behind the knee's pull and just when I was going to quit it popped.

rereading that, it sounds kind of X-Rated'ish
aka; Ralph