walking in the river

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Troutman

Re: walking in the river

Post by Troutman » Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:07 pm

cappy wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:11 pm
barkeater wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:23 pm
I'm a fan of Chota's. They last and are comfortable but more important to me are the bungee laces they sell. The last pair I bought did not come with them :cry: but for about $10 I ordered bungees from them and swapped them out for the string laces. Nothing better than using the bungee laces to quickly get your boots on or off especially in the middle of winter.
When the original laces wear out I replace with military grade laces made from Kevlar. Never had to replace them, actually the last pair of boots I replaced I removed and kept the laces, will use them when the current original laces wear out.
wish I knew this before when I didnt have a BOA system now :lol: . I used some leather strings that help up pretty well thou
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:09 pm

Drossi wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 10:43 am
Troutman wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:26 pm

The Simms G4 was honestly a good boot. the only draw back is they are heavier then the rest. Weight is a big thing when your walking in them for some distance :(
To be honest I have a pair of Cabelas lightweights that I really like, I had them before and switched to the Korkers cause I fell in love with the fallacy of interchangeable soles. I got another pair now with the felt and studs that I need to start using more. Just need to make sure I keep spare laces. :)
My buddy swears by the simms feather weights. but only in the summer. He says they are cold as shit in the winter months :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:33 am

Troutman wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:09 pm
Drossi wrote:
Troutman wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:26 pm

The Simms G4 was honestly a good boot. the only draw back is they are heavier then the rest. Weight is a big thing when your walking in them for some distance :(
To be honest I have a pair of Cabelas lightweights that I really like, I had them before and switched to the Korkers cause I fell in love with the fallacy of interchangeable soles. I got another pair now with the felt and studs that I need to start using more. Just need to make sure I keep spare laces. :)
My buddy swears by the simms feather weights. but only in the summer. He says they are cold as shit in the winter months :lol:
You know I never really thought about wading boots keeping my feet warm in the colder months. Always figured that was the job of the socks and layering under my waders.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:27 am

Drossi wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:33 am
Troutman wrote:
Drossi wrote:

You know I never really thought about wading boots keeping my feet warm in the colder months. Always figured that was the job of the socks and layering under my waders.
It is. Wading boots are full of whatever water and corresponding water temps you are standing in and they themselves provide no insulation whatsoever in about 5 minutes or less. The thinnest or thickest of wading boots make zero difference to the temps surrounding your feet, it's all about the thickness of the neoprene booty and your socks.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Jun 13, 2023 5:13 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:27 am
Drossi wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:33 am
Troutman wrote:

It is. Wading boots are full of whatever water and corresponding water temps you are standing in and they themselves provide no insulation whatsoever in about 5 minutes or less. The thinnest or thickest of wading boots make zero difference to the temps surrounding your feet, it's all about the thickness of the neoprene booty and your socks.
This is the reason Im going with breathable bootfoot waders with 1200 grams of thinsulate in the boots in the winter this season coming up. Cold feet are no fun in the salmon river steelhead fishing :lol: . Ive tried almost everything to keep my feet warm with stocking foot waders. Thermo socks with a base layer. Ive even tried these electric battery socks that snow boarders wear. They helps a little.
Was known as Troutman1

kype

Post by kype » Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:07 pm

must be a PIA to deal with cold feet in the winter while fishing. i have been lucky so far to have not had any problems with cold feet. fingers get a bit cold once they get wet but my fingerless 100% ragg wool gloves keeps them nice and warm.

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:17 pm

kype wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:07 pm
must be a PIA to deal with cold feet in the winter while fishing. i have been lucky so far to have not had any problems with cold feet. fingers get a bit cold once they get wet but my fingerless 100% ragg wool gloves keeps them nice and warm.
Real PITA, I used to be great, never really to cold. Had my gall bladder out 5 years ago and now my freakin hands and feet get cold at the drop of a hat. Getting old is not for the faint of heart.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:28 pm

Drossi wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:17 pm
kype wrote:
Real PITA, I used to be great, never really to cold. Had my gall bladder out 5 years ago and now my freakin hands and feet get cold at the drop of a hat. Getting old is not for the faint of heart.
you aint lying about getting old. I used to wet wade in late october when I was in my 20's :o :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Jun 14, 2023 5:30 pm

kype wrote:
im the opposite. fingers & hands are fine. fished up pulaski for steelhead 0 issues. but feet & toes felt like a ice box :o
Was known as Troutman1