The dog days of summer are upon us

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
lightenup

Re: The dog days of summer are upon us

Post by lightenup » Sat Jul 15, 2023 12:15 pm

martalus wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:21 pm
even better, white perch are great to eat and feisty on light tackle. I remember catching some in clinton below the reservoir about 20 years ago. Are they a remnant landlocked population that got cut off from Raritan bay hundreds of years ago when dams were put up or were they stocked at some point since then?
I have no idea, but there were a lot of them. I wouldn't eat anything out of Spruce Run if you paid me... :mrgreen:

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:04 pm

I've kayaked a few NJ reservoirs and picked up tons of panfish on my 7 ft 3 wt. If you like cheap thrills, and don't want to get arrested, it's hard to beat. :lol:
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:27 am

BiggerThomas wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:04 pm
I've kayaked a few NJ reservoirs and picked up tons of panfish on my 7 ft 3 wt. If you like cheap thrills, and don't want to get arrested, it's hard to beat. :lol:
I tried to wade fish a local reservoir on Wednesday, had a few short takes, the weeds were a killer though. Also found out my waders have a leak in the ass, guess I never get that deep in the river :lol:
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane