Night fishing?

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
coaltrout

Night fishing?

Post by coaltrout » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:17 am

Ive night fished before for other species like striped bass, hybrids, walleye, etc.
This is usually from boat or from a lighted area in a park, not too much walking around the woods or wading.

Ive yet to try night fishing for trout. Usually when i trout fish i prefer daylight, this is usually during the colder months so prefer some sunlight but also prefer it for visibility with walking the creeks.

I know anglers do target browns during the night-hours with success, anyone here try?
Do you guys wade in the dark? likely with a good headlamp. I just find it a bit creepy especially alone being in the water :o

cappy

Re: Night fishing?

Post by cappy » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:21 am

I do when up at the west branch. Know where your going from day time fishing and don't go to a remote spot. I wade out as far as I'm comfortable or needed and fish a mouse pattern casting to the bank and stripping out into the pool towards me, and to the sides. Works for me.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:16 pm

west branch with red lite headlight
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:20 pm

coaltrout wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:17 am
you guys wade in the dark? likely with a good headlamp. I just find it a bit creepy especially alone being in the water :o
You aint lying about it being creepy. I was fishing the west branch 1 nite. My imagination got the best of me. Thought the boogeyman was coming :o . hailed azz out the water & ran to my car :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:22 pm

cappy wrote:
Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:21 am
I do when up at the west branch. Know where your going from day time fishing and don't go to a remote spot. I wade out as far as I'm comfortable or needed. Works for me.
This rite here has worked for me. I only fish @ nite with easy pathways back to the vehicle
Was known as Troutman1

46er

Post by 46er » Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:14 pm

I carry a headband light in my vest if headed out in the evening for the walk back.
aka; Ralph

The irony of the Human condition is that we are so focused on reaching some point in our journey, some happiness, or some goal, that we seem to forget that the journey itself is where life happens.