good flows for stocking/spawning season

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
martalus

good flows for stocking/spawning season

Post by martalus » Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:16 am

Things look pretty good for this fall season with all the recent rain. Any recent fishing reports? Unfortunately I had almost percent of my fishing gear stolen (fly rod, UL and M spinning rod, vest, boxes of flies/lures, etc) so I haven't been out since my NC trip.

Rusty Spinner

Re: good flows for stocking/spawning season

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:13 pm

martalus wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:16 am
Things look pretty good for this fall season with all the recent rain. Any recent fishing reports? Unfortunately I had almost percent of my fishing gear stolen (fly rod, UL and M spinning rod, vest, boxes of flies/lures, etc) so I haven't been out since my NC trip.
That sucks about the stolen gear! Where did that happen?

On a positive note, I agree that we had a good year for trout holding over and going into the spawning season, but we will have 5-6 weeks before we see trout spawning in redds. However, summer heat is gone and the trees, shrubs and herbaceous layers aren't taking up nearly as much moisture from the ground as they head off to dropping their leaves for winter.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

martalus

Post by martalus » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:31 pm

It was a bonehead move on my part. I had just driven home from NC and was rushing to return rental truck by 7 pm. I dumped my gear in my front lawn and returned the rental truck. I was so tired when I got back at 8 pm I went to bed without bringing it in. The next morning when I woke up it was all gone. My lures and flies were in boxes/cases in a dirty backpack and my dirty 20 year old vest also had lots of gear. The fly rod was a st. Croix 5 wt and the UL was also St Croix with the smoothest plueger real i have ever had-i had that UL combo for almost 20 years and it was still smooth like butter-i have caught all manner of wild trout, white perch, smallmouth, etc on it-i have even caught a handful of American shad and Carp on it. Heart breaking but lesson learned. I didn't expect as I live in a decent neighborhood where people often leave bikes and things out but such is life.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:07 pm

martalus wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:31 pm
It was a bonehead move on my part. I had just driven home from NC and was rushing to return rental truck by 7 pm. I dumped my gear in my front lawn and returned the rental truck. I was so tired when I got back at 8 pm I went to bed without bringing it in. The next morning when I woke up it was all gone. My lures and flies were in boxes/cases in a dirty backpack and my dirty 20 year old vest also had lots of gear. The fly rod was a st. Croix 5 wt and the UL was also St Croix with the smoothest plueger real i have ever had-i had that UL combo for almost 20 years and it was still smooth like butter-i have caught all manner of wild trout, white perch, smallmouth, etc on it-i have even caught a handful of American shad and Carp on it. Heart breaking but lesson learned. I didn't expect as I live in a decent neighborhood where people often leave bikes and things out but such is life.
SUXS to hear about your stolen gear man..........
Was known as Troutman1

46er

Post by 46er » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:11 pm

Have you checked with neighbors for cameras?
aka; Ralph

The irony of the Human condition is that we are so focused on reaching some point in our journey, some happiness, or some goal, that we seem to forget that the journey itself is where life happens.