Seeing any redds?

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Rusty Spinner

Seeing any redds?

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:01 pm

Our brookies and browns at the very least should be cutting a rug by now. I am looking at possible impairments of a tributary in the northwest part of the state on Sunday and will be looking for any brook trout redds. What are others seeing if out?
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Drossi

Re: Seeing any redds?

Post by Drossi » Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:18 am

Not I but I've made a conscience effort not to fish any streams with wild reproduction the last 2 weeks. I'll f with the stockers and give the wild ones time to do their deeds for the rest of the month. I'm in the minority and still wish they had closed seasons on streams with repo.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:08 am

Drossi wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:18 am
Not I but I've made a conscience effort not to fish any streams with wild reproduction the last 2 weeks. I'll f with the stockers and give the wild ones time to do their deeds for the rest of the month. I'm in the minority and still wish they had closed seasons on streams with repo.
I don't disagree, but most of the rivers and streams I fish or walk for work have at least some natural reproduction. I was looking at three native brookie streams on Sunday with members of the NJ state board of Native Fish Coalition for possible restoration projects and we didn't find a single red in 4 miles of walking. That surprised me, because we were seeing brookies.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

martalus

Post by martalus » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:49 am

How have flows been? Have they been too low to build redds? Or could the redds be in tributaries to these streams?

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:22 pm

Been seeing lots of brownie redds but the creeks i fish consider brookies unicorns...wish i could get out more

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:51 am

martalus wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:49 am
How have flows been? Have they been too low to build redds? Or could the redds be in tributaries to these streams?
Flows are good for this time of year. There's a possibility of some heavy rain to start the weekend as well depending upon how the coastal storm tracks. Temps have dropped significantly in the last 10 days as well.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane