A PSA about your PSA

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Rusty Spinner

A PSA about your PSA

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:52 pm

I'm putting this here simply because this is the most active forum on this site. This is directed at our 40+ members, but good info for the "yoots" as well! Make sure you see a Doctor for an annual physical. Don't ever wait until you know there's some sort of major issue going on, we buried Jim Holland in late '22 because he didn't pay attention to some serious issues until it was unfortunately far too late. I miss my close friend every single day....

Some of you know I am a 30 year cancer survivor (Hodgkin's lymphoma) and because of that and the many complications it has created for my health because of the chemo and radiation treatments all those years ago, I get an annual physical. Part of my blood test is a simple PSA which measures levels within your prostate gland. About 2 1/2 years ago, I had my first PSA test that jumped above the normal range. All previous tests were well within the normal range. My internist sent me to a urologist and I have been watched very closely (every 6 months) and have had two MRIs and three prostate exams (hey Doc, got your whole arm up there? :shock: ) and a small change in the second MRI plus ever increasing PSA levels led to a biopsy last fall. Sure enough, a small portion of my prostate was cancerous and I had the entire gland removed on December 8th. All pathology other than where we knew the cancer to be was negative and the surgery confirmed what we knew from the MRIs and the MRI targeted biopsy. A full 1 in 8 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer, and when caught early as in my case, it is typically 100% beatable. It's when it lingers for years and finally spreads to other organs that it becomes or can become fatal. It is currently the 2nd leading cancer in the US and women, who make up 51% of the population, cannot get it. That is your Public Service Announcement (PSA) about your PSA checkup!
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

NJpatbee

Re: A PSA about your PSA

Post by NJpatbee » Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:31 pm

Great advice my fellow cancer survivor!

46er

Post by 46er » Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:28 pm

Was diagnosed in 2019. PSA had creeped up to 10.7 and after 2 biopsies came back negative my urologist wanted to do a third, I said no way. He finally convince me for an MRI guided biopsy and found a small tumor hiding in a difficult spot. Discussed options and went to Sloan-Kettering for second opinion and went with my docs recommendation of 45 days radiation, last 5 minute treatment was Christmas Eve 2019. Will be 5 years this Christmas, PSA is now .052. If you don't have a urologist, get one and listen to him.
aka; Ralph

The irony of the Human condition is that we are so focused on reaching some point in our journey, some happiness, or some goal, that we seem to forget that the journey itself is where life happens.

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:47 am

Great advice. Get you annual physical, get a PSA, and get a colonoscopy for those over 50. Don't let pride or fear get in the way of staying healthy. I've had too many people close to me pass cause they ignored things out of fear or pride or whatever goes through peoples heads.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:41 am

Many insurers are now covering colonoscopies for men and women as young as 45. When I was younger, it was 55. Most are now at 50, but headed to 45 as colon cancer is on the increase as well as prostate cancer.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:49 am

46er wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:28 pm
Was diagnosed in 2019. PSA had creeped up to 10.7 and after 2 biopsies came back negative my urologist wanted to do a third, I said no way. He finally convince me for an MRI guided biopsy and found a small tumor hiding in a difficult spot. Discussed options and went to Sloan-Kettering for second opinion and went with my docs recommendation of 45 days radiation, last 5 minute treatment was Christmas Eve 2019. Will be 5 years this Christmas, PSA is now .052. If you don't have a urologist, get one and listen to him.
I'm curious of your age. The reason I ask is that I discussed all options including radiation and due to me "only" being 58, my urologist and my surgeon didn't recommend radiation but rather full removal. Docs said at my age, it would likely come back in 10-15 years and then the surgery to remove it would be much more complicated given the damage to surrounding tissue from the radiation seeds. Because I am on Warfarin (blood thinners) for my heart due to damage from radiation for Hodgkin's lymphoma 30 years ago, my course was two MRIs a year apart. With a slight change in the more recent MRI I took the end of last summer and an increasing PSA that remained under 10 but was climbing, my urologist did an MRI aided biopsy of just that one "hot spot" area and sure enough, it was cancerous. That was last September and I scheduled my radical robotic prostatectomy for December 8th knowing it is not a fast growing cancer. That allowed me to finish up my field work for the most part and do some hunting before I was out of commission for a bit. Now it's all gone and I await my first PSA test in March and then every quarter after until I am declared cancer free in December of this year.

46er

Post by 46er » Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:54 pm

I'll be 77 in 9 days :shock: but who's counting.

Several treatments were discussed including removal and seeding, with my urologist and with the group at Sloan. Given the small size and location, the reason the first biopsies were negative, all agreed radiation was the correct way to go although the type of radiation wasn't. Sloan suggested the 5 day high radiate plan, my urologist the 45 day. Went with the 45 day as it had less after effects and more of a record of success and I was in no rush. Going with Sloan would have also meant trips into NYC. Everyone is unique, there is no one shoe fits all treatment and the results are unique as well. 4 years in and the number keeps going down, have absolutely no side effects, my follow ups are once a year. My urologist specializes in minimally invasive prostate treatments and is a fellow-ship trained robotic surgeon and the director at the practice.

https://www.urologichealth.net/drferlise.html
aka; Ralph

The irony of the Human condition is that we are so focused on reaching some point in our journey, some happiness, or some goal, that we seem to forget that the journey itself is where life happens.

JAD

Post by JAD » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:58 am

Definitely good advice. I have had mine checked every year for the last 25 years (now 69). No cancer yet, but BPH - which means more frequent, and much longer, trips to the rest room.
Sucks getting older, but as they say, beats the hell out of the alternative.
To all those younger guys - stay active, stay in shape - it will pay off when you are older.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:50 pm

I've been getting checked since 48. They did it the old fashion way then...once..once..that was uncomfortable..everyone after it was blood test...had 1 colonoscopy, the drugs are fantastic..I never felt better for the 3 seconds before I fell asleep....DO IT!!! Once it's done it seems silly that I was ever nervous about it.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:45 am

Agreed with all of you. 18 year cancer survivor myself, get checked up as often as needed. My advice is always this: if it doesn't feel right, chances are it isn't. Get it looked at to give yourself a piece of mind. I get a sore throat or even a small tickle and I immediately panic still. Just be smart and proactive.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:41 pm

46er wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2024 11:54 pm
I'll be 77 in 9 days :shock: but who's counting.

Several treatments were discussed including removal and seeding, with my urologist and with the group at Sloan. Given the small size and location, the reason the first biopsies were negative, all agreed radiation was the correct way to go although the type of radiation wasn't. Sloan suggested the 5 day high radiate plan, my urologist the 45 day. Went with the 45 day as it had less after effects and more of a record of success and I was in no rush. Going with Sloan would have also meant trips into NYC. Everyone is unique, there is no one shoe fits all treatment and the results are unique as well. 4 years in and the number keeps going down, have absolutely no side effects, my follow ups are once a year. My urologist specializes in minimally invasive prostate treatments and is a fellow-ship trained robotic surgeon and the director at the practice.

https://www.urologichealth.net/drferlise.html

Thanks. I went to Sloan for my second opinion with my Hodgkin's Lymphoma diagnosis 30 years ago just this last December and agreed that I also did not want to travel to the city for what for me were outpatient chemo and radiation treatments. Sloan and my oncologist at St. Barnabus both had same diagnosis and treatment recommendations which made life easier. I didn't bother with a second opinion on this recent prostate cancer because I know my urolgist and trust he and his surgical partner well. There's really no mystery with prostate cancer since 1 of 8 men will get it in our lifetimes. And that percentage is growing fast unfortunately.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:21 pm

So I woke up this past Saturday about one month post surgery with a whole lot of pain in my kidney area. Tried to convince myself that it was gas and this too shall pass, but by midday the pain was all I could focus on and my wife said I was gray in color. So she called my Dr. and spoke with the service and an hour or so later, my urologist who was not on call told me to head to the ER and to meet him there. It winds up I have a fairly large kidney stone stuck between my one kidney and the bladder and they can't go right in and deal with it since I'm too soon post op for the prostate removal. Right now I have a drain in the kidney and they are buying me time until I heal further and they can attack the stone the old fashion way, by sticking a camera where no camera should ever go and attacking it with a laser. :shock:

But then I'll be all set once they reverse the drain and one stent that may go in if they do the Star Wars laser thingy. Ain't life grand? :D

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:30 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:21 pm
So I woke up this past Saturday about one month post surgery with a whole lot of pain in my kidney area. Tried to convince myself that it was gas and this too shall pass, but by midday the pain was all I could focus on and my wife said I was gray in color. So she called my Dr. and spoke with the service and an hour or so later, my urologist who was not on call told me to head to the ER and to meet him there. It winds up I have a fairly large kidney stone stuck between my one kidney and the bladder and they can't go right in and deal with it since I'm too soon post op for the prostate removal. Right now I have a drain in the kidney and they are buying me time until I heal further and they can attack the stone the old fashion way, by sticking a camera where no camera should ever go and attacking it with a laser. :shock:

But then I'll be all set once they reverse the drain and one stent that may go in if they do the Star Wars laser thingy. Ain't life grand? :D
Kidney stones suck. I have been in the ER 2 times with them.the drugs they give you are great though. Git a big destroyed sonically a couple years ago. Long night that evening, but saved me from what you are going through. They found it because I was pissing red...blood. grand

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Jan 23, 2024 9:59 am

lightenup wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:30 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 6:21 pm

Kidney stones suck. I have been in the ER 2 times with them.the drugs they give you are great though. Git a big destroyed sonically a couple years ago. Long night that evening, but saved me from what you are going through. They found it because I was pissing red...blood. grand
Looks like I was able to pass my kidney boulder last night. I am awaiting a call back from my urologist so he can confirm and remove my kidney drain (nephrostomy). It sure does sting a bit, doesn't it? :shock: :lol:

Vance

Post by Vance » Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:54 pm

Hello, Hey nobody is fishing? Started tying last week and tying a fly I call a Winston. My daughter’s German Shepard is orange in color so I cut some tail hair and others hair from different parts of his body. The dogs name is Winsto so the fly is now called Winston. Tail of fly is from the dogs tail body from fur from near the back of him. Hackle is dark ginger and grizzly and wings dun hackle points. I tie it in 12 and 14. I am going to tie some in 18 and 20 ‘s and will let you know how I make out with the smaller fly. This spring. Well that is all Bill the mailman

martalus

Post by martalus » Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:30 am

I am 45 and had a physical a few weeks ago. Just based on age, my doctor recommended a colonoscopy. She said while it may not be super pleasant, being dead is also not pleasant for my family. Apparently colon cancer is very treatable if caught early but if left untreated it becomes very deadly.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:50 pm

martalus wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:30 am
I am 45 and had a physical a few weeks ago. Just based on age, my doctor recommended a colonoscopy. She said while it may not be super pleasant, being dead is also not pleasant for my family. Apparently colon cancer is very treatable if caught early but if left untreated it becomes very deadly.
In my lifetime, they went from age 55 for a first colonoscopy down to 50 which is when I got my first and now they are saying 45. I can promise you two things, the stuff they make you drink will empty your colon and intestines out for certain and the nap you will take that day of your colonoscopy will be the best of your life! :D

Pro tip: do NOT drink the magic elixir and expect to drive home from work. You'd have to ask my wife for more details. :lol: But all kidding aside, the flushing of your system is the only part that sucks. The actual colonoscopy you will never know even happened. You will wake up and need to pass some wind before they let you go is all. It's easy peasy.

Jim Holland would be with us today if he got a colonoscopy. By the time he was diagnosed with colon cancer, it was already Stage 4. It was a miracle he lived almost nine more months. I miss my friend a lot!

PortMurrayAng

Post by PortMurrayAng » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:42 pm

Who can recommend a doctor or facility near Califon area? Seriously.

I got my scrip to get the procedure, but have not pulled the trigger. Fun BS fact - my insurance will pay for it, if I'm 50. I'm not, and so I'll pay for this one. I got the message from Jim, too.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:22 am

PortMurrayAng wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:42 pm
Who can recommend a doctor or facility near Califon area? Seriously.

I got my scrip to get the procedure, but have not pulled the trigger. Fun BS fact - my insurance will pay for it, if I'm 50. I'm not, and so I'll pay for this one. I got the message from Jim, too.
My wife and I use places far to the east of NJ unfortunately. Has to do with our doctors being out of St. Barnabas Hospital and Morristown Hospital. Wish I could help.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:26 am

The 3 people over at Njflyfishing are talking shit Rusty, go defend yourself... :o