& another biting the dust soon !!!

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Troutman

& another biting the dust soon !!!

Post by Troutman » Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:55 pm

Was known as Troutman1

Rusty Spinner

Re: & another biting the dust soon !!!

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:44 am

This dam has been on again, off agan for removal since my second day at TU, some 16 years ago now. The State is using federal Infrastructure Bill funding to remove it and it will take several years once the permits are in to actually dredge it enough to remove this very tall dam. Realistically, I'd say 5-7 more years if everything goes smoothly. This dam leaks like a sieve in low flows (in all flows, but you can only see it when no water is flowing over the spillway). The lowhead concrete spillway is badly failing, and the impoundment above is considered "fully impacted" by sediment meaning that sucker is full to the top. I've said this before on this site, but the sediment they need to remove as part of this removal would more than fill the Empire State Building! I do know that engineering is underway as I know some involved. Once out, American shad, river herring and striped bass will be able to continue upstream to spawn or to eat. American eels will also benefit, but they already are able to crawl up and over this dam.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:51 am

I have fished there @ the dam in drought situations. I can actually see the water flowing somewhat @ the base under the dam. So you probably correct it does leak like a sieve. Do you think after the dam is removed will it effect the water level to the bloomsbury dam stretch ?
Was known as Troutman1

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:46 pm

Troutman wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:51 am
I have fished there @ the dam in drought situations. I can actually see the water flowing somewhat @ the base under the dam. So you probably correct it does leak like a sieve. Do you think after the dam is removed will it effect the water level to the bloomsbury dam stretch ?
No, it will only impact to a few hundred yards above the RR tunnels if you know where those are at. That's still a long distance, but not all the way to Bloomsbury. BTW, the same day a crew of various state, federal and private conservation orgs stood at this dam some 16 years ago, the Army Corps began to sink their teeth into a Musky dam removal. That removal is the Bloomsbury dam after realizing they couldn't easily work on this dam in the Musky Gorge. I can't tell you how many years now that engineering plans for removal were done, but we are no closer to having the Bloomsbury dam removed than we were that day just over 16 years ago now.....

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:52 pm

This has guys all up in arms on Facebook's NJ Trout Fishing page. Claim it's a fly fishing conspiracy (TU) to get the state to end stocking in that area so that it can be wild brook trout only. Also claim opening up the river will allow snakeheads, flatheads, and stripers to have run of the river and eat all the trout.

I told them we should have a mass protest while wearing our tinfoil hats and underwear only!. LOL Can't make this stuff up.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:44 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:46 pm
Troutman wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:51 am
No, it will only impact to a few hundred yards above the RR tunnels if you know where those are at. That's still a long distance, but not all the way to Bloomsbury. BTW, the same day a crew of various state, federal and private conservation orgs stood at this dam some 16 years ago, the Army Corps began to sink their teeth into a Musky dam removal. That removal is the Bloomsbury dam after realizing they couldn't easily work on this dam in the Musky Gorge. I can't tell you how many years now that engineering plans for removal were done, but we are no closer to having the Bloomsbury dam removed than we were that day just over 16 years ago now.....
Thanks spinner for the response. I have fished near the tunnels before, nice spot. its a stocking point but I only fished the upstream side. Never the other side of it. maybe 1 day I make that climb over the tracks. But that a heck of a hill to climb on both sides :lol: . I tried wading thru 1 time. way to deep or maybe Im just to short !!!! :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:45 pm

Drossi wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:52 pm
This has guys all up in arms on Facebook's NJ Trout Fishing page. Claim it's a fly fishing conspiracy (TU) to get the state to end stocking in that area so that it can be wild brook trout only. Also claim opening up the river will allow snakeheads, flatheads, and stripers to have run of the river and eat all the trout.

I told them we should have a mass protest while wearing our tinfoil hats and underwear only!. LOL Can't make this stuff up.
Ive read some of it. :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:28 am

Troutman wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:45 pm
Drossi wrote:

Ive read some of it. :lol:
I only go to that page when I need comedic relief in my life. Most of the people that post there are the exact people I want to AVOID when I'm out fishing. I fish for entirely different reasons than they seem to. To each his own but I do what I do cause that's what I want to do. I don't need to be preached at, lectured, or scolded on gear, tactics, or preference of catch by anyone, spin, fly, pinners, or tenkara. I pay my own freight so all I need to do is be law abiding, otherwise I can operate under my own dogma. :)
You're NOT worthy
slingin' cane

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:22 am

Drossi wrote:

It's funny how many friends reach out to me about posts on various other forums or Facebook pages to refute whatever stupidity of the day is out there. I never do. It is a losing battle because the people posting these things are most wearing a drool bucket to capture their brains leaking out of their heads. :lol:

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:19 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:22 am
Drossi wrote:

It's funny how many friends reach out to me about posts on various other forums or Facebook pages to refute whatever stupidity of the day is out there. I never do. It is a losing battle because the people posting these things are most wearing a drool bucket to capture their brains leaking out of their heads. :lol:
That assumes they have brains to begin with.... :lol:
You're NOT worthy
slingin' cane

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:49 pm

Drossi wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:19 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:22 am
Drossi wrote:

That assumes they have brains to begin with.... :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: