Maine North Woods next week

Trout fishing outside of NJ
Razorbacker

Maine North Woods next week

Post by Razorbacker » Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:08 am

Heading up to Seboomook and north area this coming week for yearly pa'tridge trip. First time that we are able to get some fishing in as well with booking the overlap of seasons! Brookies in the ponds and streams and hopefully some landlocked salmon in the West Branch Penobscot. Best week of the year!

Fishybig

Re: Maine North Woods next week

Post by Fishybig » Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:29 pm

Very jealous, for the fishing part!! Have a gr8 trip, take lots of pics...

martalus

Post by martalus » Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:08 pm

Enjoy! My brother and I did a four day camping/brook trout fishing trip up there in about 2005-I remember it being somewhere about an hour's drive west of Presque Isle on some kind of massive timber concession. We went with a guide that had a camp set up and he cooked for us and drove us around to various streams and ponds. It was an awesome experience-we went in late August so flows were low, but we caught a lot of brook trout. As I remember, limits on keeping brook trout go down to zero sometime around now to protect the spawn. I think in August, they were like 2 per angler-we had a few catch and cook evenings that were delicious with fiddle head ferns.

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:13 pm

Not a good partridge year unfortunately... bird count was VERY low. our cabin neighbors who have been coming here together in 1964 said it is one of the worst years they remember. Fishing was a little bit better, as we picked up a few keeper brookies and landlocked salmon for the frying pan. The foliage definitely did not disappoint how and we saw 10-12 moose, most of the bulls.

troutfishing4life

Post by troutfishing4life » Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:16 am

Awesome pictures! and you had some good eats

martalus

Post by martalus » Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:28 pm

Looks like a great trip-similar to you, we didnt find any lunker brook trout up there but lots of pan sized fish from 8-11 inches.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:49 am

Too bad it was a down cycle year for grouse. They are my favorite small game to pursue, hands down! At least the fish cooperated. Any woodcock?
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:24 am

Bamboo and brookies! Couldn't make out the writing, what rod were you fishing?

Looks like a great trip.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:33 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:49 am
Too bad it was a down cycle year for grouse. They are my favorite small game to pursue, hands down! At least the fish cooperated. Any woodcock?
we saw two... the guys in the cabin next to us bagged a few, but they had pointers.

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:35 pm

Drossi wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:24 am

Looks like a great trip.
It's a Headwaters. MIC, but very nice. A buddy gifted it to me. 7 1/2' 4/5Wt.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:33 am

Razorbacker wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:33 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
we saw two... the guys in the cabin next to us bagged a few, but they had pointers.
Just back from my upstate NY bow and small game trip. Lots of woodcock, but rabbits and grouse populations were fairly low for us. We flew grouse, but nobody got a good shot on one. I didn't get any shots at grouse myself, but went 3 for 3 on woodcock. The only bunny I saw ran right at a buddy who wasn't paying attention in that direction and down its hole, so no shots fired. Bucks were mainly on lockdown with early estrus does, so we only saw baldies each sit. That and rain and lots of it. Back in less than 3 weeks for rifle season.

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:00 am

Razorbacker wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:35 pm
Drossi wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:24 am

Looks like a great trip.
It's a Headwaters. MIC, but very nice. A buddy gifted it to me. 7 1/2' 4/5Wt.
I have an old Deschutes model that I got started with in bamboo. It's a good fishing rod, not a collectible. My son uses it more now than I do but I break it out in more hazardous conditions that I don't want to fish my other bamboo in.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:10 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:33 am
Razorbacker wrote:
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Just back from my upstate NY bow and small game trip. Lots of woodcock, but rabbits and grouse populations were fairly low for us. We flew grouse, but nobody got a good shot on one. I didn't get any shots at grouse myself, but went 3 for 3 on woodcock. The only bunny I saw ran right at a buddy who wasn't paying attention in that direction and down its hole, so no shots fired. Bucks were mainly on lockdown with early estrus does, so we only saw baldies each sit. That and rain and lots of it. Back in less than 3 weeks for rifle season.
Im going up to east side of Seneca Lake for rifle season. Ive got several friends that live around Burdett and Watkins Glen that have a lot of property.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:53 pm

Razorbacker wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:10 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Razorbacker wrote:

Im going up to east side of Seneca Lake for rifle season. Ive got several friends that live around Burdett and Watkins Glen that have a lot of property.
Nice. We have a 185 acre farm on one side of route 16 in New Lisbon/Garrattsville and a new 112 acre farm with standing corn, a trout stream, several ponds, and wetlands across the road. We will have 8 guys up for rifle season and we usually do very well up there.

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:05 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:53 pm
Razorbacker wrote:
Rusty Spinner wrote:

Nice. We have a 185 acre farm on one side of route 16 in New Lisbon/Garrattsville and a new 112 acre farm with standing corn, a trout stream, several ponds, and wetlands across the road. We will have 8 guys up for rifle season and we usually do very well up there.
How is the grouse habitat fairing upstate? Is the state trying to encourage new growth forest where they can?

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:24 am

Razorbacker wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:05 am
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Razorbacker wrote:

How is the grouse habitat fairing upstate? Is the state trying to encourage new growth forest where they can?
We have good to excellent grouse habitat on the two farms. Not sure how engaged the state is when it comes to habitat enhancement as I haven't worked with them, at least yet. The best grouse hunting I ever had was surrounding our old deer camp in Potter County, PA. Lots of early successional forest habitat meant plenty of grouse and woodcock.

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:04 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:24 am
Razorbacker wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:05 am
Rusty Spinner wrote:

We have good to excellent grouse habitat on the two farms. Not sure how engaged the state is when it comes to habitat enhancement as I haven't worked with them, at least yet. The best grouse hunting I ever had was surrounding our old deer camp in Potter County, PA. Lots of early successional forest habitat meant plenty of grouse and woodcock.
my son-law's grandfather is hopefully reacquiring several hundred acres that he used to own in the Webster's Crossing area... I am crossing my fingers!