Saucon Creek in PA

Trout fishing outside of NJ
Troutman

Saucon Creek in PA

Post by Troutman » Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:50 pm

I just got my PA fishing liscense today. going to try a few places new to me. any recommendation on a river-stream-creek with 2 hours of NNJ. not looking for a exact spot :lol: . just a general area or info.

I think my 1st place to try will be Saucon Creek ;)

Much appreciated it.
thank you
Was known as Troutman1

cappy

Re: Saucon Creek in PA

Post by cappy » Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:23 am

Little Lehigh Creek, Saucon Creek and Monocacy Creek are all in that general area.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

46er

Post by 46er » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:30 am

aka; Ralph

The irony of the Human condition is that we are so focused on reaching some point in our journey, some happiness, or some goal, that we seem to forget that the journey itself is where life happens.

Johnw

Post by Johnw » Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:18 am

Bushkill Creek, perhaps the best of the four mentioned.

troutfishing4life

Post by troutfishing4life » Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:48 am

I didnt get a PA license last year for the first time since I was able to buy a fishing license

But probably will get one again this year. Off of 78 i like the Little Lehigh and off of 80 there are so many good places to fish

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:04 am

Havent gotten a PA license since they raised the non residents fee to $70 way back when, however they do offer a 3 yr option now...Now that i have a more reliable vehicle and occasionally more time for travel , i may step it up this yr??

To the OP , between the LL and the Lil bush, you could spend yrs exploring those two options...Be very mindful if fishing saucon in the park..lots of shady characters during the season and ive had a few attempted vehicle break ins in the past...

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:54 pm

cappy wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:23 am
Little Lehigh Creek, Saucon Creek and Monocacy Creek are all in that general area.
thank you. I fished the Monocacy Creek this past Saturday. This place kinda reminds me of the rahway river :lol: . The water was very clear. freestone stream was a :o to me in that type of urban area. No trash spewn about for a creek-stream to flow thru a basically urban area. But no fish was caught(skunked). but surveying new waters was GREAT ;)
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:55 pm

Thank you .....
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:56 pm

Johnw wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:18 am
Bushkill Creek, perhaps the best of the four mentioned.
Think that will be my next to try.......

Thank you
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:57 pm

troutfishing4life wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:48 am
Off of 78 i like the Little Lehigh and off of 80 there are so many good places to fish
These will be on my list before the season opens in NJ

Thank you ....
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:58 pm

Fishybig wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:04 am
Be very mindful if fishing saucon in the park..lots of shady characters during the season and ive had a few attempted vehicle break ins in the past...
thank you
Was known as Troutman1

cappy

Post by cappy » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:02 am

Troutman wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:54 pm
cappy wrote:
thank you. I fished the Monocacy Creek this past Saturday. This place kinda reminds me of the rahway river :lol: . The water was very clear. freestone stream was a :o to me in that type of urban area. No trash spewn about for a creek-stream to flow thru a basically urban area. But no fish was caught(skunked). but surveying new waters was GREAT ;)
Urban stream for sure, which makes it interesting to fish. It is a true limestone creek, not freestone. It does have a healthy wild brown population, as well as naturally reproducing brookies and rainbows.
Anatole France

Johnw

Post by Johnw » Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:11 pm

I can highly recommend getting a copy of Trout Streams of Pennsylvania by Dwight Landis. It is a comprehensive book covering most streams in Pa but most importantly will provide directions to and point to the better parts of the stream to fish and make your explorations much more productive

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:08 pm

Johnw wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:11 pm
I can highly recommend getting a copy of Trout Streams of Pennsylvania by Dwight Landis. It is a comprehensive book covering most streams in Pa but most importantly will provide directions to and point to the better parts of the stream to fish and make your explorations much more productive
thanks for the tip. because the you-tube info research is alot of just click baiting :lol: 4
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:12 pm

cappy wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:02 am
Troutman wrote:
cappy wrote:
Urban stream for sure, which makes it interesting to fish. It is a true limestone creek, not freestone. It does have a healthy wild brown population, as well as naturally reproducing brookies and rainbows.
nice looking waters. water quality actually surprised me for a urban fishery creek-stream. looks like mite be a high pressure area as it cuts thru cities.
Was known as Troutman1

cappy

Post by cappy » Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:55 am

Troutman wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:12 pm
cappy wrote:
Troutman wrote:

nice looking waters. water quality actually surprised me for a urban fishery creek-stream. looks like mite be a high pressure area as it cuts thru cities.
Actually all three limestoners I mentioned are pressured during the season due to urban/suburban location. If you don't mind driving a bit further give the Tulpehocken Creek (Tully) which is actually a river and a tailwater a try. Stocked heavily, has a great holdover and decent wild brown population.
Anatole France

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:11 am

cappy wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:55 am
Troutman wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:12 pm
cappy wrote:
Actually all three limestoners I mentioned are pressured during the season due to urban/suburban location. If you don't mind driving a bit further give the Tulpehocken Creek (Tully) which is actually a river and a tailwater a try. Stocked heavily, has a great holdover and decent wild brown population.
thank you for the suggestion. definitely try that 1
Was known as Troutman1