Acadia NP

Trout fishing outside of NJ
46er

Acadia NP

Post by 46er » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:18 am

I have been to Acadia many, many times but was never aware of the opportunities for Brookies there. The Mar/Apr issue of Eastern Fly Fishing has an eye opening article :shock: Will come in handy for our annual autumn trip.
aka; Ralph

The irony of the Human condition is that we are so focused on reaching some point in our journey, some happiness, or some goal, that we seem to forget that the journey itself is where life happens.

Rusty Spinner

Re: Acadia NP

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:22 am

46er wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:18 am
I have been to Acadia many, many times but was never aware of the opportunities for Brookies there. The Mar/Apr issue of Eastern Fly Fishing has an eye opening article :shock: Will come in handy for our annual autumn trip.
Make sure you post again on this after your trip in the fall! I was in Maine several years ago with my family on vacation, but never got to fish that trip.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:58 pm

Acadia is on my bucketlist so def post about it!! Is that article available online? The times ive been to Maine have been exclusively for visiting breweries 8-)
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:32 pm

I caught brookies there in 2013 and snapped my rod (stepped on it). Still a good trip tho. Watch out for black flies if you go in August/September.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

46er

Post by 46er » Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:35 pm

The issues are available online as PDF's, but $$$, see link. I scanned the article, 4 pdf's, but not sure how it can be posted here, if at all. June is the worst for blackflies, a friend was bit raw on a trip up to Rangeley Lake some years back.

https://eastern-fly-fishing.myshopify.c ... -mar-print
aka; Ralph

The irony of the Human condition is that we are so focused on reaching some point in our journey, some happiness, or some goal, that we seem to forget that the journey itself is where life happens.

martalus

Post by martalus » Thu May 16, 2019 4:46 am

My brother and I fished Acadia in August about 15 years ago. We didn't really have a plan, but stopped at several likely looking brooks and found lots of willing but small trout. I am told you can find sea run brookies in the fall as well-we were fishing very close the ocean. We tried several ponds, but did not have success. Perhaps it was too warm and the fish were deeper, out of reach of shore casting. I also wasn't clear if the ponds only had stocked trout or had wild ones too. We also tried Jordan pond (its a lake really) for land locked salmon, but didnt find any. Perhaps a row boat or canoe would have helped get out deeper. We then drove up to Presque Isle-on the way all the likely looking brooks that we stopped by had brook trout in good numbers. Then we went west into the North Maine woods on some kind huge timber concession and caught brook trout all day for about 4 days straight on a series of streams, rivers, and ponds. Nothing huge but it was a lot of fun. Water was a bit low and clear in August-apparently its easier to catch bigger ones in mid spring.

46er

Post by 46er » Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:17 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:22 am
Make sure you post again on this after your trip in the fall! I was in Maine several years ago with my family on vacation, but never got to fish that trip.
Had to cancel the trip, spending 45 days being radiated instead. :shock:
aka; Ralph

robtf

Post by robtf » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:07 am

martalus wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 4:46 am
My brother and I fished Acadia in August about 15 years ago. We didn't really have a plan, but stopped at several likely looking brooks and found lots of willing but small trout. I am told you can find sea run brookies in the fall as well-we were fishing very close the ocean. We tried several ponds, but did not have success. Perhaps it was too warm and the fish were deeper, out of reach of shore casting. I also wasn't clear if the ponds only had stocked trout or had wild ones too. We also tried Jordan pond (its a lake really) for land locked salmon, but didnt find any. Perhaps a row boat or canoe would have helped get out deeper. We then drove up to Presque Isle-on the way all the likely looking brooks that we stopped by had brook trout in good numbers. Then we went west into the North Maine woods on some kind huge timber concession and caught brook trout all day for about 4 days straight on a series of streams, rivers, and ponds. Nothing huge but it was a lot of fun. Water was a bit low and clear in August-apparently its easier to catch bigger ones in mid spring.
sounds like a great trip!

and 46er... all the best with radiation! :o
----

living in the land of clammies