Provo River UT

Trout fishing outside of NJ
Razorbacker

Provo River UT

Post by Razorbacker » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:42 pm

Heading out to Utah for a meeting later this week and am going to make some extra time for myself. Have any of you guys ever fished the Provo River?

brettdv

Re: Provo River UT

Post by brettdv » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:56 pm

i fished the middle provo tailwater just south of Jordanelle reservoir about ten years ago in November. As i remember a lot of accessible water with good numbers of big fish. mostly double nymphs under a float and some midge dry fishing later in the day.

Fished with Trout Bums 2 guides out of park city. Highly recommend. Also fished the free stone Weber river just out of town. Not sure how that fishes in Feb though. If you have time, i highly recommend a float trip down the Green River from the Flaming Gorge Dam. Incredible scenary and amazing fishery.

https://www.troutbum2.com/utah-fly-fishing-reports/

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:56 am

I don't know about the Provo , but the Green gets some good olive hatches in the spring . But it's still kinda early for that ..

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:12 pm

thanks guys. I spent all day on the Middle Provo and picked a few, some with big size. I had a brown about 20" to net twice, he ran both times then the hook pulled as I was getting him to net the 3rd time. Picked a couple small browns, and a big whitefish, easy 4 pounds. The fish of the day tho was never seen.... I hooked up in a deep hole so solid I thought I was hung on bottom- until bottom started swimming away pulling drag. Took me deep in the hole and sat there over 5 minutes, I could nt move it out, then finally the 5X gave out and he broke me off.

Ive got a 1/2 day tomorrow before my flight. Hopefully can pick a few more.

Castaline

Post by Castaline » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:27 am

I have fished it a few times at this time of year. Excellent option if you don't want to ski. Managed well with lots of access. I heard the state did the smart thing. Bought up access sites and then built the reservoirs and made them bottom controllable release to create a tailwater. Good winter midging.

NJpatbee

Post by NJpatbee » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:26 am

I fished the Provo in late April about 8 years ago with a guide. Small nymphs and dry midges did the trick. Naturally I did not land the "big one" but the fishing was great. I hope you enjoyed yourself.

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:26 pm

If you are in the area and have some free time, it is definitely worth the effort.... not a destination river (or area) though.

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:09 am

Jaybird wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:56 am
I don't know about the Provo , but the Green gets some good olive hatches in the spring . But it's still kinda early for that ..
I've always wanted to float the Green River. Guess I'll put it on my bucket list.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,