Gotta return hone today

Trout fishing outside of NJ
Troutman

Gotta return hone today

Post by Troutman » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:20 pm

My ending day for this week in the upper delaware west branch fishing for another 2 weeks from now :( . So I decided to try some nite time fishing to maximize my last day :o . I have to say its a different experience for sure. the place rather got spooky @ nite. I managed 3 fish but I had to haul out because I was afraid of the boogie man :lol: :lol: . The small guy that I caught have me the best acrobatic show over its big brothers. she danced across the water higher then a NBA dunking :lol: :lol: . Cant wait to the next 2 weeks so I can come back up here :D
Was known as Troutman1

cappy

Re: Gotta return hone today

Post by cappy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:40 pm

Some nice fish there. Where did you stay?
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:27 pm

cappy wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:40 pm
Some nice fish there. Where did you stay?
Deposit Inn. they rite around the corner from the stretch I was fishing. I usually stay @ the upper delaware inn in hancock. But that main stem is to warm to fish rite now :(
Was known as Troutman1

PortMurrayAng

Post by PortMurrayAng » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:15 pm

Were you mousing after dark?

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:05 pm

PortMurrayAng wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:15 pm
Pretty sure he,s a spin guy, but I guess that could be accomplished that way too!!!

martalus

Post by martalus » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:34 pm

How big are those fish? With the exception of the one small one, the day time ones look as big or bigger than the night time one. What did they take?

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:07 pm

Fishybig wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:05 pm
PortMurrayAng wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:15 pm
Pretty sure he,s a spin guy, but I guess that could be accomplished that way too!!!
I did both on this trip. I spin fished in the early am when it was still dark. Fly fished when the hatch was on . Then spin fished in the after sun set evening. I dont primarily fly fish anymore as I have weak shoulder cups from my work business occupation.
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:14 pm

martalus wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:34 pm
How big are those fish? With the exception of the one small one, the day time ones look as big or bigger than the night time one. What did they take?
I caught the little guy's on a dry fly. The bigger 1's was caught early am & closer to the pm on spin gear. I used plugs. As most of you guys know that bigger browns feeding habits change into flesh eating. But still can be caught on flies when their feel like feeding on flies. I had hooked a few @ nite. But didnt take pictures of all of them. :( . The biggest fish of the week was about 20 inch's. I wasnt able catch a 22inch & up for this trip :( . My personal best for this river has been 26 wild brown on a plug :D
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:32 pm

Personal best was a 26 inch wild brown
Was known as Troutman1

PortMurrayAng

Post by PortMurrayAng » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:12 pm

Thanks for the report! I'll try some zonkers next time I go up early in the am.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:12 pm

PortMurrayAng wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:12 pm
Thanks for the report! I'll try some zonkers next time I go up early in the am.
anytime. the section I fish is C&R only so I can share that without any issue's :lol: I feel sorry if someone tries to poach a fish out of there. Those hard core guys will make you swim with the guppies :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

PortMurrayAng

Post by PortMurrayAng » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:54 am

I like that stretch too. I recently found the approach from the other side. There's one marked pull off and another pull off closer to the game lands that I think is ok to use too.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:46 pm

PortMurrayAng wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:54 am
I like that stretch too. I recently found the approach from the other side. There's one marked pull off and another pull off closer to the game lands that I think is ok to use too.
thats the side from downtown deposit I think your referring to :?: . Leads you rite into the water treatment plant parking lot.
Was known as Troutman1

PortMurrayAng

Post by PortMurrayAng » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:13 am

Yes, but up on the bluff on the opposite bank. It's a scramble down to the water

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:38 pm

PortMurrayAng wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:13 am
Yes, but up on the bluff on the opposite bank. It's a scramble down to the water
I think Im gonna explore the Stilesville area the next time I go up there. I heard fishing near the weir is great. I just have to figure out how to access it. As there is not alot of visible access points from the road. I mite have to hike it in walking up river :o
Was known as Troutman1

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Post by BiggerThomas » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:55 am

Man, I got to get up there one day...listening to all you yahoos talk about what it's like makes me want to just get in the car and cross of it off the list.
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

Jaybird

Post by Jaybird » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:16 am

BiggerThomas wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:55 am
Man, I got to get up there one day...listening to all you yahoos talk about what it's like makes me want to just get in the car and cross of it off the list.
It's 3,hrs away from Central Jersey just do it , but there is a little bit of a learning curve up there . You need 2 or 3 days to get a feel of the place ( or go with someone who fishes it often) and this time of year that place isn't at its best . In May you have 5 different rivers ( kinda ) with mayflys and Caddis on all of them. Here is where it pays to tie your own flies .
Right now if your looking to catch fish on dries your packed in the top of the west or the east , with the rest of the jabronis , but you can still do well .

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:12 pm

BiggerThomas wrote:
Man do it. Its worth the trip if you need to get that "fix" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:15 pm

Jaybird wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:16 am
BiggerThomas wrote:
It's 3,hrs away from Central Jersey just do it , but there is a little bit of a learning curve up there . You need 2 or 3 days to get a feel of the place ( or go with someone who fishes it often) and this time of year that place isn't at its best . In May you have 5 different rivers ( kinda ) with mayflys and Caddis on all of them. Here is where it pays to tie your own flies .
Right now if your looking to catch fish on dries your packed in the top of the west or the east , with the rest of the jabronis , but you can still do well .
Yep... the west branch is PACKED during the weekend. Ive seen section that guys had to wait to get into the water :o :o . This is why I fish it during the week & stay a few days. I usually blow back home on friday nite as I dont want to deal with the crowds ;)
I leave the east branch & main stem alone @ this time of the season. The waters there are hovering about 68-70*. to warm to safely C&R. But it has a great smallie population if you want to target them.
Was known as Troutman1

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:37 pm

Dont forget about the upper east!!!! Above harvard is gr8!!! Much more challenging water, less access and less crowds...