Diseased PA Brookie

Trout fishing outside of NJ
coaltrout

Diseased PA Brookie

Post by coaltrout » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:30 pm

Encountered a small fish swimming in a slow pool on the side, lopsided and looked unhealthy.
Then saw it was a brookie and likely a wild one for this size.
I didnt even know there were brook trout streams immediately close by in the river i was fishing. This river is stocked with trout by the state (and likely clubs too) , never saw a brookie here myself.

I wasnt sure how to reach out directly to PA Biologist so just went through the 'PA Fish & Boat Commission' Contact-Us form. If no response, is there a better person to reach out to

troutfishing4life

Re: Diseased PA Brookie

Post by troutfishing4life » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:04 am

Yeah that fish does look like a wild fish and not healthy at all

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:18 am

A full half of PA's trout hatcheries are riddled with furunculosis. But PA stocks those fish anyway. Ironically, NJ has taken a more conservative approach with furunculosis and trout coming out of the Pequest Hatchery.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:07 pm

I found a brown trout next week with much worse looking disease-markings, folks from PA boat and fish responded back, was seen by someone at least. not sure where they will do with it.

troutfishing4life

Post by troutfishing4life » Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:49 pm

coaltrout wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:07 pm
I found a brown trout next week with much worse looking disease-markings, folks from PA boat and fish responded back, was seen by someone at least. not sure where they will do with it.
Nothing will be done by them. The stock the sick fish they dont care. They took all the sick fish a few years ago from jersey and stocked them in PA