3 days on the Upper Delaware Rivers

Trout fishing outside of NJ
Bob J

3 days on the Upper Delaware Rivers

Post by Bob J » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:23 am

Fished the east and west branch, main stem, Bk and the Willow - bugs and fishing were slow. Best bugs were on the EB. March browns, caddis, and some sulphurs were around but no olives or drakes. Was a with a group of guys all dry fishing and I don't think anyone caught more than two per day. Nymphing would have been wise. Most exciting part was watching the drift boats catch large rainbows on the main stem of the junction pool. These fish were out of reach for the waders but perfectly lined up for the boats.

Rusty Spinner

Re: 3 days on the Upper Delaware Rivers

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:17 pm

Were you with the Hacklebarney TU chapter by any chance? I was up on the upper WB last Friday and it was lights out on dry flies. Hardly a boat or other wade anglers. Weird, since that river was still on fire with Hendricksons and hasn't been wade fished for the most part until late last week. The angler trails were completely overgrown still with Japanese knotweed, that's how little it's been fished so far this spring.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Vance

Post by Vance » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:10 pm

Hello, Up on the Beaverkill for a few days and had a ball today. Started fishing around three pm and by 4:30 had caught 5 and all were big except for a Brooke that probably was about 6 inch’s long. I fished by the bridge above painters bend. All fish were released and never out of the water. After supper at Roscoe diner went back to the same place and caught one that measured 19 inch’s. I have to tell you I never use a net but for some reason I took my net to night and thank god I did the fish tonight filled the net nice and fat and strong as an ox. I will up date on tomorrow’s fishing. Bill the mailman. The 19 inher is back in the water for someone else to catch and hopefully release

Bob J

Post by Bob J » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:13 am

I was up there with a group of friends who have been going up this week for years. Best action I saw was at junction pool in Hancock. Scum line was out of casting range but there were rising fish all day and the boats had a field day with large rainbows. Paths definitely overgrown! We did have rising fish on the west branch but it was pretty sporadic. Lots of caddis, but some fish taken on Hendrikson emergers. Very late for them of course. Would like to get back up there now but that will not happen so I'll just suffer and read the reports of great bugs and fishing.