Trout fishing outside of NJ
joe_panella

Re: Pennsylvannia opener

Post by joe_panella » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:43 am

Troutman wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:52 pm
troutfishing4life wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:54 am
I havent brought a PA license this year and probably wont and just fish NJ. But PA does have some awesome rivers.
how would you compare some of the PA rivers to the Upper East & West branch of NY :?: . Im kinda of really interested in fishing some new waters

thx
Pa has more wild trout than the catskills generally. The rivers are probably going to be further away than the catskills though. The State College area, Spring Creek, Little J, Frankstown Branch, Penns, Fishing Creek and the rest of the smaller stuff is unmatched by anything in the catskills in terms of wild fish. The poconos are very similar to the catskills, meaning mostly stocked with some nice wild areas mixed in.

I consider the Delaware and its Branches kind of its own thing. Penns has the same type of hatches, slightly easier dry fly fishing and more wild fish. They are not as big on average though and they don't fight the same, but imo nothing i have seen outside of the Missouri fights the same.

Troutman

Re: Pennsylvannia opener

Post by Troutman » Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:35 pm

joe_panella wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:43 am
Troutman wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:52 pm
troutfishing4life wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:54 am
I havent brought a PA license this year and probably wont and just fish NJ. But PA does have some awesome rivers.
how would you compare some of the PA rivers to the Upper East & West branch of NY :?: . Im kinda of really interested in fishing some new waters

thx
Pa has more wild trout than the catskills generally. The rivers are probably going to be further away than the catskills though. The State College area, Spring Creek, Little J, Frankstown Branch, Penns, Fishing Creek and the rest of the smaller stuff is unmatched by anything in the catskills in terms of wild fish. The poconos are very similar to the catskills, meaning mostly stocked with some nice wild areas mixed in.

I consider the Delaware and its Branches kind of its own thing. Penns has the same type of hatches, slightly easier dry fly fishing and more wild fish. They are not as big on average though and they don't fight the same, but imo nothing i have seen outside of the Missouri fights the same.
Thank you for your honest input. appreciate it.
Was known as Troutman1