Post by Drossi » Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:40 am

Anyone going out there tomorrow?
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Troutman

Re: Pennsylvannia opener

Post by Troutman » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:06 pm

I was actually thinking about purchasing a PA license this year. heard alot of good things about PA stockings & their rivers
Was known as Troutman1

troutfishing4life

Post by troutfishing4life » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:54 am

I havent brought a PA license this year and probably wont and just fish NJ. But PA does have some awesome rivers.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:52 pm

troutfishing4life wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:54 am
I havent brought a PA license this year and probably wont and just fish NJ. But PA does have some awesome rivers.
how would you compare some of the PA rivers to the Upper East & West branch of NY :?: . Im kinda of really interested in fishing some new waters

thx
Was known as Troutman1

troutfishing4life

Post by troutfishing4life » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:28 pm

how would you compare some of the PA rivers to the Upper East & West branch of NY :?: . Im kinda of really interested in fishing some new waters

thx
[/quote]

I mean those two rivers are the meca of trout on the east coast. For PA rivers like that are the Little J, Spring Creek, and Penn's Creek but these are all by State College PA.
There are some good rivers closer to the NJ boarder. Little Leigh in Allentown and Both bushkill rivers. Broadhead creek is another great river close by

Johnw

Post by Johnw » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:22 pm

The Lehigh River is comparable in size to the West Branch and is an up and coming in terms of improved fishing. TheLittle Lehigh h

Johnw

Post by Johnw » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:32 pm

The Lehigh River is comparable in size to the West Branch and is up and coming in terms of improved fishing for both trout and smallmouths. The Little Lehigh has declined dramatically in the past 2 decades to the point that many from NJ no longer bother. Opening day on the Little Lehigh is something to behold. On the day before fishermen show up with tents to spend the night at the honey holes and use yellow tape to cordon off sections of the river. As in NJ, the crowds dissipate in the weeks after the opener.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:23 pm

troutfishing4life wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:28 pm

thx
I mean those two rivers are the meca of trout on the east coast. For PA rivers like that are the Little J, Spring Creek, and Penn's Creek but these are all by State College PA.
There are some good rivers closer to the NJ boarder. Little Leigh in Allentown and Both bushkill rivers. Broadhead creek is another great river close by
[/quote]

Thanks for the feed back. Im like 3 hrs away from Deposit NY. I was looking for maybe comparable with less of a drive. But College Pk Pa is about the same distance. But I a few guys recommend Broadhead when I was fishing up in the W. Branch fishing. That said have monster browns & alot of guys do practice C&R ;) . I mite have to explore that river

Tight lines Troutfishing4life
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:24 pm

Johnw wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:32 pm
The Lehigh River is comparable in size to the West Branch and is up and coming in terms of improved fishing for both trout and smallmouths. The Little Lehigh has declined dramatically in the past 2 decades to the point that many from NJ no longer bother. Opening day on the Little Lehigh is something to behold. On the day before fishermen show up with tents to spend the night at the honey holes and use yellow tape to cordon off sections of the river. As in NJ, the crowds dissipate in the weeks after the opener.
I mite invest in a PA license this year just to see how these areas are. Need to experience it for myself.

thank you for your you input & tight lines this year ;)
Was known as Troutman1

Vance

Post by Vance » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:10 am

Hello, One of the best in Pa. Is the lackawaxen in Pike Cty. The Dyberry just pass Honesdale, Pa. is another. The Dyberry is like Flatbrook in Jersey. I have fished the Lacky a lot when I lived in Pa. and it holds over alot of trout year to year. The best is from the Rowland bridge upstream. If it is running high get on Rte. 402 south and fish the Bushkill at the Boyscout camp or down stream before it runs into the Big D. The Lacky some big trout in it. It is a good caddisfly river. I have caught over 30 trout in it in one day with caddis flies. Bill the mailman

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:01 am

Vance wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:10 am
Hello, One of the best in Pa. Is the lackawaxen in Pike Cty. The Dyberry just pass Honesdale, Pa. is another. The Dyberry is like Flatbrook in Jersey. I have fished the Lacky a lot when I lived in Pa. and it holds over alot of trout year to year. The best is from the Rowland bridge upstream. If it is running high get on Rte. 402 south and fish the Bushkill at the Boyscout camp or down stream before it runs into the Big D. The Lacky some big trout in it. It is a good caddisfly river. I have caught over 30 trout in it in one day with caddis flies. Bill the mailman
Be careful if you fish the Lackawaxen below Wallenpaupack reservoir. They operate that dam as a "peaker" station i.e. they release water during hours of peak electric demand. Depending upon how far downstream you are you won't hear the siren and the river rises rapidly. Big water, big fish but you need to exercise caution.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

troutfishing4life

Post by troutfishing4life » Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:43 pm

Thanks for the feed back. Im like 3 hrs away from Deposit NY. I was looking for maybe comparable with less of a drive. But College Pk Pa is about the same distance. But I a few guys recommend Broadhead when I was fishing up in the W. Branch fishing. That said have monster browns & alot of guys do practice C&R ;) . I mite have to explore that river

[/quote]

Glad to help!
PM me if you want to talk about any other rivers as well. I know a few that i wont post too much about

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:19 pm

Vance wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:10 am
thank you for your experience on this ;)
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:20 pm

Drossi wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:01 am
Be careful if you fish the Lackawaxen below Wallenpaupack reservoir. They operate that dam as a "peaker" station i.e. they release water during hours of peak electric demand. Depending upon how far downstream you are you won't hear the siren and the river rises rapidly. Big water, big fish but you need to exercise caution.
Thank you for the advise ...
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:23 pm

troutfishing4life wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:43 pm

Glad to help!
PM me if you want to talk about any other rivers as well. I know a few that i wont post too much about
[/quote]

appreciate the help. Just looking to experience different rivers. Even thou Ive been doing excellent up in the NY rivers. The spots are getting old. the stretches I fish is only but so new to me now. guess for me its not only catching. but exploring also ;)
Was known as Troutman1

Vance

Post by Vance » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:40 am

Hi Again, I forgot when fishing the Lacky. Pick out a rock that is about 1 to 2 inches above water. Keep an eye on the rock and if that rock goes under water get out of the river now and don’t wait just get out. If you are fishing up by the Flumes you have 45 minutes if you drive down to the Rowland Bridge before the water really comes up. If water is high go to Hawley,Pa. and fish the Lackawaxen in Hawley If you are fishing by the Rowland Bridge fish on the RR side of the Lacky. In the late spring and summer they usually do not release any water after 7:00 PM unless it is very hot in Philly. My friend Lenny and me would get to the river about 7:15 or so and fishing until 9:00 to 9:15 PM. I can remember in the late 70’s the river was high in the evening time so we went up to Hawley to fish and we both caught a Bat on our flies. So we reeled the darn things into the top of the rods and put them down water for ten minutes before we could take the hooks out. I know I killed the poor thing. Bill

fab

Post by fab » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:07 am

Brodhead on the opener was more crowded than the Flatbrook usually is . it was like a NJ special outing day. creekside park must have had 40 plus NJ vehicles.

Johnw

Post by Johnw » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:01 pm

If anyone wants to know anything and everything about Pa streams and trout fishing get a copy of Trout Streams of Pennsylvania by Dwight Landis. It describes all Pa streams complete with maps, directions and parking areas etc.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:38 pm

Vance wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:40 am
Hi Again, I forgot when fishing the Lacky. Pick out a rock that is about 1 to 2 inches above water. Keep an eye on the rock and if that rock goes under water get out of the river now and don’t wait just get out. If you are fishing up by the Flumes you have 45 minutes if you drive down to the Rowland Bridge before the water really comes up. If water is high go to Hawley,Pa. and fish the Lackawaxen in Hawley If you are fishing by the Rowland Bridge fish on the RR side of the Lacky. In the late spring and summer they usually do not release any water after 7:00 PM unless it is very hot in Philly. My friend Lenny and me would get to the river about 7:15 or so and fishing until 9:00 to 9:15 PM. I can remember in the late 70’s the river was high in the evening time so we went up to Hawley to fish and we both caught a Bat on our flies. So we reeled the darn things into the top of the rods and put them down water for ten minutes before we could take the hooks out. I know I killed the poor thing. Bill
thank you again sir...... :D
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:39 pm

Johnw wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:01 pm
If anyone wants to know anything and everything about Pa streams and trout fishing get a copy of Trout Streams of Pennsylvania by Dwight Landis. It describes all Pa streams complete with maps, directions and parking areas etc.
Thank you for the sound advise. gonna have to purchase that....
Was known as Troutman1