New Mexico, Chama, and the Pecos

Trout fishing outside of NJ
Bubba Zinetti

New Mexico, Chama, and the Pecos

Post by Bubba Zinetti » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:49 am

Greetings fellow travelers. We are heading to New Mexico in a few weeks and we are going to fish! For the Chama area we have hired a guide. For the Pecos we are going on our own. We have a pretty good idea of where to fish and what flies to use. We will visit a local shop for additional information and purchases. We are considering leaving our waders at home. We like to fish smaller streams and we like to hike some distance before we hit the water, so wet wading makes that much easier. I know that the San Juan is a tailwater so we plan on skipping that (45 F is cold!).

Any suggestions would be appreciated, additionally any spots that you would like to tell us about would also be appreciated

cappy

Re: New Mexico, Chama, and the Pecos

Post by cappy » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:09 pm

Hope you have a great trip. Will you be fishing the Rio Costilla and surrounding creeks?
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

Bubba Zinetti

Post by Bubba Zinetti » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:45 pm

cappy wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:09 pm
Hope you have a great trip. Will you be fishing the Rio Costilla and surrounding creeks?
Probably not. We are not staying anywhere near there. We MAY make a day trip to the lower stretches of the Red River

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:09 am

I only know privately owned waters in that area and the public can't gain access unfortunately. Best of luck in your fishing travels!
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Bubba Zinetti

Post by Bubba Zinetti » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:58 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:09 am
I only know privately owned waters in that area and the public can't gain access unfortunately. Best of luck in your fishing travels!
Hey Rusty,
Those rules are changing. As long as you enter the water from public land, then you are not trespassing. Of course this is a fight that some see as not over, and problems will occur. There is plenty of (mis) info out there, it all just depends on who you ask. Some think that until an official document of the ruling is released, the old rules still stand.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:50 am

Bubba Zinetti wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:58 am
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:09 am
Hey Rusty,
Those rules are changing. As long as you enter the water from public land, then you are not trespassing. Of course this is a fight that some see as not over, and problems will occur. There is plenty of (mis) info out there, it all just depends on who you ask. Some think that until an official document of the ruling is released, the old rules still stand.
The river restoration firm that my firm grew out of did 6 miles of restoration and enhancement on the Pecos on what used to be a ranch owned by Val Kilmer and now owned by a Texas oil zillionaire. Not sure exactly where though. So my business partner and our lead excavator operator did that design and in-stream work.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown