DIY PA fish and camp?

Trout fishing outside of NJ
kype

DIY PA fish and camp?

Post by kype » Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:44 pm

looking for an area/river to camp and fly fish in PA for a couple nights in Oct. anyone have an suggestions? i would like to keep it on the eastern part of the state.

Troutman

Re: DIY PA fish and camp?

Post by Troutman » Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:36 pm

I suggest balls eddy area. There is a a few camping sites along the upper west branch of the delaware. fantastic wild brown trout & few rainbows in the river. fly fisherman's dream. 1 of the best areas in the usa. some say better then montana ;)
Was known as Troutman1

kype

Post by kype » Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:23 pm

thanks for the info troutman. i think i wanna hit the jim thorpe area. see new water. fish new water. i have been on the upper deleware plenty of times and as its great water, im looking for something new to explore.

my goal is to drive up to a camp site, make camp. fish all day. and repeat for another day or two.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:03 pm

Thats a awesome plan. exploring new waters is the best. Ive only been wading in the upper west branch. From a few section of Stilesville down to hancock. But planning to float down a few times next week. discover new waters that way. The east branch is pretty dry rite now. They are not releasing much water. They have been compensating the flow @ the main stem by releasing cfm's on the west branch. Planning on staying a week in Deposit area to float down via kayak from there to Junction pool. I was told the float down will reveal some GREAT spots.
Was known as Troutman1

kype

Post by kype » Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:44 pm

cool! have a great trip, sounds like fun. i do a few float trips each year but its mainly when im fly fishing smallmouth.

wife and i are gonna drive to jim thorpe sat morning. gonna get lunch and then im gonna drive around to look at the area and river. im trying to plan something the second week of Oct. i have the PTO days to use before the new year. found one campground about 10 miles north of thorpe. but from a quick google search it kinda looks like a large campground that familes would go to. im more looking for a laid back campground. i just need to sleep, eat, have a small fire and im good to go. then my remainding PTO days will be used for winter steelhead.(after the salmon crowds leave)

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:24 am

kype wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:44 pm
cool! have a great trip, sounds like fun. i do a few float trips each year but its mainly when im fly fishing smallmouth.

wife and i are gonna drive to jim thorpe sat morning. gonna get lunch and then im gonna drive around to look at the area and river. im trying to plan something the second week of Oct. i have the PTO days to use before the new year. found one campground about 10 miles north of thorpe. but from a quick google search it kinda looks like a large campground that familes would go to. im more looking for a laid back campground. i just need to sleep, eat, have a small fire and im good to go. then my remainding PTO days will be used for winter steelhead.(after the salmon crowds leave)
sounds AWESOME man..... have a great trip. Tight lines to yaa......
Was known as Troutman1

Johnw

Post by Johnw » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:39 am

Here is one website to chexk out. www.irsa.org. Lot of information from the Lehigh Stocking Association.

kype

Post by kype » Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:16 pm

thanks john. i tried clicking on the link but doesnt work.

Johnw

Post by Johnw » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:52 am

Sorry. www.lrsa.org is the correct one.