Has anyone here fished the Little Lehigh in Allentown ?

Trout fishing outside of NJ
Troutman

Has anyone here fished the Little Lehigh in Allentown ?

Post by Troutman » Mon May 29, 2023 8:47 pm

As tittle states. read that it was a great place to fish for wild browns & stocked trout in the Allentown area near the park ? Looking to go there maybe this week
Was known as Troutman1

Johnw

Re: Has anyone here fished the Little Lehigh in Allentown ?

Post by Johnw » Tue May 30, 2023 8:39 am

Until 6 years ago I lived about a mile from the artificial only stretch thst starts at the fish hstchery and ends at a covered bridge about a mile downstream. The river has a reputation of being a fantastic fishery years ago to one that has declined to the point that it is barely worth fishing any more and that was my experience. You can do far better elsewhere in Pennsylvania.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue May 30, 2023 8:58 pm

Johnw wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 8:39 am
Until 6 years ago I lived about a mile from the artificial only stretch thst starts at the fish hstchery and ends at a covered bridge about a mile downstream. The river has a reputation of being a fantastic fishery years ago to one that has declined to the point that it is barely worth fishing any more and that was my experience. You can do far better elsewhere in Pennsylvania.
Ive read this also. I also read that a private club stocked it recently with 700 fresh fish in that area you mentioned. But Im not able to confirm this :cry: . & who knows what size if they did :?: . I mite just go for shitz and giggles just to check it out

thanks for the response ...
Was known as Troutman1

rollcast

Post by rollcast » Wed May 31, 2023 11:19 am

Troutman wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 8:47 pm
As tittle states. read that it was a great place to fish for wild browns & stocked trout in the Allentown area near the park ? Looking to go there maybe this week
15 to 20 years ago this was my favorite place to fish. As it degraded (there was a significant silting problem supposedly caused by construction upstream) I stopped. Amazing trico hatches all summer back then.

I've read taht upstream from the park had better fishing, and I also had better, less crowded fishing below the park. These days though I don't know what it's like.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed May 31, 2023 8:59 pm

rollcast wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 11:19 am
Troutman wrote:
15 to 20 years ago this was my favorite place to fish. As it degraded (there was a significant silting problem supposedly caused by construction upstream) I stopped. Amazing trico hatches all summer back then.

I've read taht upstream from the park had better fishing, and I also had better, less crowded fishing below the park. These days though I don't know what it's like.
TY......
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:06 pm

Johnw wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 8:39 am
I fished this a few days ago. I do say I know what your talking about now :(
Was known as Troutman1

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:07 pm

rollcast wrote:
Wed May 31, 2023 11:19 am
Troutman wrote:

I managed a few bows. Not a brown in site :(
Was known as Troutman1

Johnw

Post by Johnw » Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:54 am

I had one epic day there following a flood that allowed numerous trout to escape the hatchery. There is another artificial only stretch several miles upstream but with a few exceptions the stretch is quite shallow and uninteresting water. Rarely would you see anyone else fishing there.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:25 am

Johnw wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:54 am
I had one epic day there following a flood that allowed numerous trout to escape the hatchery. There is another artificial only stretch several miles upstream but with a few exceptions the stretch is quite shallow and uninteresting water. Rarely would you see anyone else fishing there.
your correct. but the day I went the parkway stretch by the hatchery had quite a few fishing the hatchery. I didnt see them catching anything thou
Was known as Troutman1

joe_panella

Post by joe_panella » Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:53 pm

I am 46 and used to drive through the area at times to pick up my roomate in allentown on my way to school at WVU. The area is unrecognizable compared to 20 years ago. The amount of development is off the charts. I have never fished it, but don't see how a spring creek in that area can maintain through it all without being significantly degraded.

Johnw

Post by Johnw » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:11 am

Before I moved there in 2008 there was a sewer line constructed that closely followed the river and also a bottle water company was withdrawing a significant amount of water daily from the river. These were at least some of the reasons for the river's decline. Pretty sad.