Albies?

Warm water, salt water and more. Talk about it here!
Rusty Spinner

Albies?

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:48 am

Curious if anyone here has reports of Albies in NJ? I'll be out on a buddy's boat tomorrow, not sure if Shark River or Raritan yet. The Albies have been around at times along with Spanish Macks, at least off the beach, so I'm bringing my 9 weight Loomis along just in case. Otherwise it will be a fluke day....
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Fishybig

Re: Albies?

Post by Fishybig » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:12 pm

Havent heard of albies yet but plenty of mac's and lots of really close bft....dont think the 9 wt will help you much with them....been gettin bft inside of 10 miles

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:09 pm

Fishybig wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:12 pm
Havent heard of albies yet but plenty of mac's and lots of really close bft....dont think the 9 wt will help you much with them....been gettin bft inside of 10 miles
I can handle a football sized bluefin if lucky enough to find any. It's a 10 weight reel with over 300 yards of backing. But I'm not anticipating catching tuna other than Albies. Spanish mackerel would be nice as well!

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:02 am

I just got back from Brigantine. Rays, small brown sharks and kingfish were in the surf. All the Fluke off a head boat were small as usual. We dod catch a few nice black sea bass in the bay, bit they are out of season. Also a few weakies which was nice to see.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:33 am

lightenup wrote:
Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:02 am
I just got back from Brigantine. Rays, small brown sharks and kingfish were in the surf. All the Fluke off a head boat were small as usual. We dod catch a few nice black sea bass in the bay, bit they are out of season. Also a few weakies which was nice to see.
I fished Saturday when seabass was still open. We caught many dozens, but made our personal limit 15" instead of the legal 12.5" length, so we only kept two fish for the four of us. I saw exactly one False Albacore jump out of the water, and it was well beyond casting range outside the Shark River inlet. I did have two Spanish mackerel take swipes at my flies before we left the inlet area for fluke grounds to the north. We wound up with 8 keeper fluke and released over 80 for a 10:1 short to keeper ratio. We caught and kept one blue as well. In addition, we had cow nosed rays swim past a few times, landed some skates and sea robins, and saw a few Spanish macks jump throughout the day as we ran around chasing fluke.

Johnw

Post by Johnw » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:54 am

Lots of Albie reports all the way from the surf and inlets to party boats. It’s that time of year.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:38 pm

Johnw wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:54 am
Lots of Albie reports all the way from the surf and inlets to party boats. It’s that time of year.
Yup, and the reason it is is because I have to work and can't take time off to fish right now. :D

46er

Post by 46er » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:37 am

It was an historic summer for Fluke, still hot, especially from the beach. With all the shorts, next year should be better. Stripers are not far off, the bait is on the way, off of Ocean Grove beach, the size of a football field. Not my picture. :mrgreen:

https://www.johnentwistlephotography.com/Videos/

aka; Ralph

The irony of the Human condition is that we are so focused on reaching some point in our journey, some happiness, or some goal, that we seem to forget that the journey itself is where life happens.