Off the beach

Warm water, salt water and more. Talk about it here!
46er

Off the beach

Post by 46er » Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:34 pm

False Albacore and Bonito are off the surf along with some Bluefish. Fall is here. :D
aka; Ralph

The irony of the Human condition is that we are so focused on reaching some point in our journey, some happiness, or some goal, that we seem to forget that the journey itself is where life happens.

Rusty Spinner

Re: Off the beach

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:48 am

46er wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:34 pm
False Albacore and Bonito are off the surf along with some Bluefish. Fall is here. :D
I was out Sunday but offshore to maybe 8-9 miles out. We had Albies, but only very small Bonita and no blues. Tons of frigate and chub mackerel and even a 10' hammerhead in our slick for a few seconds that was cool to watch. I will try to hit the beaches early Thursday morning this week with a buddy, and likely we will start at the Hook.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

46er

Post by 46er » Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:47 pm

Be careful if wading, really bad rip tides the past week with the offshore storms with another on the way. Three deaths with one still missing from the weekend.

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.ph ... ghlight=on
aka; Ralph

The irony of the Human condition is that we are so focused on reaching some point in our journey, some happiness, or some goal, that we seem to forget that the journey itself is where life happens.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:50 am

46er wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:47 pm
Be careful if wading, really bad rip tides the past week with the offshore storms with another on the way. Three deaths with one still missing from the weekend.

Rips are only dangerous when swimmers panic. If you just go with the flow literally, the rip will run out of juice at some point and you can swim back toward the beach. But the helpless feeling many swimmers have when they first realize they can't swim in the direction they want (usually back to the beach) is what causes the problems. Yes, I took Senior Lifesaving and was a lifeguard in my teens. I also found myself in a rip maybe 15 years ago, and the lifeguard swam out to "help me". I turned him back and said I knew what was happening and a few seconds later i got past it and swam back safely.

optowalt

Post by optowalt » Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:12 am

I grew up on Cape Cod and this was one of the things they stressed. Don't panic and swim sideways. It happened to us and learned to get out of trouble

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:32 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:50 am
46er wrote:

Rips are only dangerous when swimmers panic. If you just go with the flow literally, the rip will run out of juice at some point and you can swim back toward the beach. But the helpless feeling many swimmers have when they first realize they can't swim in the direction they want (usually back to the beach) is what causes the problems. Yes, I took Senior Lifesaving and was a lifeguard in my teens. I also found myself in a rip maybe 15 years ago, and the lifeguard swam out to "help me". I turned him back and said I knew what was happening and a few seconds later i got past it and swam back safely.

Double check that the area is open, I fish there a LOT and they close the area to everyone.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Sep 07, 2023 10:04 am

MikeB wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:32 am
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:50 am
46er wrote:

Double check that the area is open, I fish there a LOT and they close the area to everyone.
?? Not sure where you are talking about? No mention of any location, just a conversation about rip currents on beaches. If you are referring to Sandy Hook and either the True Hook or False Hook where big rips form, they are both open now that Labor Day weekend is over. But that is for endangered bird breeding protection for piping plovers.

46er

Post by 46er » Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:18 am

Did you make it out there, any success? Monster storm may begin to affect the coast next week.

WTNT33 KNHC 080838
TCPAT3

BULLETIN
Hurricane Lee Advisory Number 12
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL132023
500 AM AST Fri Sep 08 2023

...POWERFUL CATEGORY 5 LEE EXPECTED TO MAINTAIN ITS INTENSITY...
...DANGEROUS BEACH CONDITIONS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP AROUND THE
WESTERN ATLANTIC THROUGH EARLY NEXT WEEK...
aka; Ralph

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:25 am

46er wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:18 am
Did you make it out there, any success? Monster storm may begin to affect the coast next week.

WTNT33 KNHC 080838
TCPAT3

BULLETIN

I was too busy with work yesterday, but my one buddy went and only caught small blues, no Albies. But lots and lots of bait around. I am running offshore Sunday and Monday for a Canyon overnighter for yellofins. Hoping to chunk some up. Sees 3'-4' which is fine in a 55 footer we will be in.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:25 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:25 am
46er wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 7:18 am

WTNT33 KNHC 080838
TCPAT3

BULLETIN

I was too busy with work yesterday, but my one buddy went and only caught small blues, no Albies. But lots and lots of bait around. I am running offshore Sunday and Monday for a Canyon overnighter for yellofins. Hoping to chunk some up. Seas 3'-4' which is fine in a 55 footer we will be in.

Johnw

Post by Johnw » Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:30 pm

The canyons are an entirely different world. A 55 footer is the way to go, you know the right people.

46er

Post by 46er » Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:17 pm

When I was a LOT younger used to do the canyons every other weekend on a coworkers 30' Bertram, not any more though. Have been down to Oregon Inlet & Hatteras several times, much shorter ride and much larger boats :D I've been seeing some projections of 20 footers as it gets closer, all a guess at this point.

From Accuweather; "Forecasters urge offshore shipping, fishing and cruise interests to closely monitor the track of Hurricane Lee, which will generate massive seas. Deep sea swells could range from 30-40 feet and locally higher in the proximity of the powerful storm that is likely to remain a hurricane for an extended time in northern Atlantic waters. Swells of 10-20 feet may be as close as a few dozen miles offshore."

This is a pretty good sight for weather graphic's. Click a spot, get the wave height.

https://www.windy.com/-Waves-waves?wave ... ,m:efPaeAk

Have a good trip, bring a bottle of ginger ale. ;)
aka; Ralph

46er

Post by 46er » Wed Nov 08, 2023 5:27 pm

If you ever wanted to catch a BIG striper, now is the time. From Barnegat Inlet north, just starting at Barnie, red hot near the Hook and reports have it very good north of there.
aka; Ralph

46er

Post by 46er » Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:31 am

This guy must have heard about the Stripers :o

https://newjersey.news12.com/black-bear ... ach-friday
aka; Ralph

46er

Post by 46er » Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:29 pm

aka; Ralph

robtf

Post by robtf » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:50 am

46er wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:31 am
This guy must have heard about the Stripers :o

https://newjersey.news12.com/black-bear ... ach-friday
I've not made it up for the big runs the past 2 falls, hoping that there is another jackpot this year, definitely plan on taking my son in law up there
----

living in the land of clammies

robtf

Post by robtf » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:51 am

down here the stripers are in the backbays (boat only for the most part) in the fall, the migrators are out front 1 mile + off the beach. Surf guys get almost none of the migrators.
if you put your time on the rivers finding spots, there are stripers to be had.
----

living in the land of clammies

46er

Post by 46er » Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:48 pm

For the most part it is over, pretty amazing fall into winter. Some are are still at it hitting occasionally, mostly shorts.
aka; Ralph