Big Catfish in the Potomac

Warm water, salt water and more. Talk about it here!
martalus

Big Catfish in the Potomac

Post by martalus » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:57 pm

As I mentioned in another thread, I recently moved down to DC after close to a decade abroad. While for me pursuing wild trout in the small streams is my favorite kind of fishing, I have decided to give other types of fishing a try due to their proximity and as an easier way to introduce my three year old daughter to the sport (that said, within 15 minutes of arriving in NJ to visit my folks in August, we had caught a chunky 13 inch wild brown on an old spinning rod from my parents bridge as my kids looked on with glee). Down here in DC I have found lots of nice spots in the rock creek where my kid and I can catch willing panfish (and potentially shad and herring when they run in the spring). We even have caught 5 lb catfish from the bank of Potomac in Georgetown on a night crawler-hell of a fight on a kiddie rod, believe me.

This past weekend my friend and brother came down and convinced me to go out on small charter boat to catch monster blue cats in the lower potomac. Weather conditions were awful with driving rain, 50 degree temps and increasingly strong winds and chop. Even in those conditions we managed over a dozen blue catfish in the 10-40 pound range on chunked bunker, carp, and crappie. My friend has caught fish north of 50 lbs and the captain's best was 88 lbs. I don't know how often I will do it, but it certainly was an interesting experience all around. I may bring the kid out in better weather conditions!
IMG_2771.jpg
IMG_2771.jpg (109.28 KiB) Viewed 9587 times

Twism86

Re: Big Catfish in the Potomac

Post by Twism86 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:50 am

Nice!! Cats are ton of fun! Welcome back stateside!
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

robtf

Re: Big Catfish in the Potomac

Post by robtf » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:03 pm

awesome catch!
----

living in the land of clammies