Big D spot burning

Warm water, salt water and more. Talk about it here!
PortMurrayAng

Big D spot burning

Post by PortMurrayAng » Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:44 pm

Speaking of smallies on the big D near the musky, I took a ride early the other morning. I started in carpentersville and drove down stream until the next little town. Then I returned to carpentersville, 08865, and followed the river up stream to belvidere. It was a cool ride but there was one small stretch in the ride that I MAYBE could have accessed the water. It was at the end of the Warren hills trail (I think) near the pHilipsburg concrete plant. I saw the trail and then a WMA sign (under surveillance).

After that, it's all a sheer cliff or private.

I was hoping for something closer than where I've been before. Does anyone want to share places worth checking out? Does anyone know if the phillipsburg concrete trail WMA is fishable? Maybe I'll start a new thread.

martalus

Re: Big D spot burning

Post by martalus » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:12 pm

I always used to target them from columbia to the water gap. I remember using a variety of dodgy cut outs to park along route 46 on the NJ side as well as from the PA side near arrow head island. Either way, you pretty much have to go through some prickers or a faint little trail down to the river. The key is going when flows are low so that once you are on the river, you can wade in knee deep water pretty much wherever you want to find the rocky bottom riffles/main current. I think I remember parking near the log cabin in several times.

PortMurrayAng

Post by PortMurrayAng » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:23 pm

martalus wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:12 pm
I always used to target them from columbia to the water gap. I remember using a variety of dodgy cut outs to park along route 46 on the NJ side as well as from the PA side near arrow head island. Either way, you pretty much have to go through some prickers or a faint little trail down to the river. The key is going when flows are low so that once you are on the river, you can wade in knee deep water pretty much wherever you want to find the rocky bottom riffles/main current. I think I remember parking near the log cabin in several times.
Yeah. It is good up that way. The other option is down to like the Frenchtown area. But not much in between from what I have seen so far...at least on the Jersey side. I noticed what could be public parks on the other side.

I used to mess around Easton but was accosted by some methy looking folks and warned, by one of them, that I'd better leave and quick. I was grateful for the warning.

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:57 pm

PortMurrayAng wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:23 pm
martalus wrote:
Yeah. It is good up that way. The other option is down to like the Frenchtown area. But not much in between from what I have seen so far...at least on the Jersey side. I noticed what could be public parks on the other side.

I used to mess around Easton but was accosted by some methy looking folks and warned, by one of them, that I'd better leave and quick. I was grateful for the warning.
That was way back when they were camped out on the island above 22...things are calmer now

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:33 am

Fishybig wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:57 pm
PortMurrayAng wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:23 pm
martalus wrote:

That was way back when they were camped out on the island above 22...things are calmer now
Yup, that methhead encampment moved into the Broadhead gorge area now.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

PortMurrayAng

Post by PortMurrayAng » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:00 am

Headed back this morning and hit the WMA right above phillipsburg. Nice looking water, a bit of structure, and two fishing chasing something on the surface. I didn't catch anything but will head back, probably early tomorrow.
Attachments
20200624_074858.jpg
20200624_074858.jpg (1.3 MiB) Viewed 12558 times

martalus

Post by martalus » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:24 am

I dont know about the Delaware, but often time Carp are active on surface (either eating, or mating or who knows what) when I am fishing slower water on the Potomac. They often come clear out of the water which can startle the heck out of you.

Were you in a canoe/kayak or were you wading. The key is to work structure/boulders and slack water adjacent to riffles. Also key to find rocky bottomed water as opposed to sandy. Also key is to get your fly down where the fish are., especially bigger fish. I don't like sinking line, but sometimes I have used a sinking leader especially if fishing faster/deeper water. You do get snagged more but you get more fish. Another key thing is to move if you are not getting bit. I even take a step after every cast or two to make sure I am covering the water and finding the fish-its a big river and the fish cant be everywhere all the time.

What flies were you using? I like big white clausers-especially later in summer when baby shad are coming down the river in July/August. You can have some banner days when the smallies are feeding on baby shad. White wooly buggers will work, but a trout sized one will get you lots of 6-10 inch fish (which is also fun) Other good flies are heavy crayfish or helgamite looking flies. And poppers around dusk-you can get some big fish to blow up on your popper on ankle-knee deep water which is pretty cool. The first few times I fished the Big D for smallies I used my 5 wt fly rod and got lots of fish-it was fun. But you really need a 6 or seven weight to effectively flow bigger flies, especially if its windy. The first time got smacked in the face with my own fly was when I got a 7 weight rod.

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:46 pm

PortMurrayAng wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:00 am
Headed back this morning and hit the WMA right above phillipsburg. Nice looking water, a bit of structure, and two fishing chasing something on the surface. I didn't catch anything but will head back, probably early tomorrow.
nice looking water...........
Was known as Troutman1

the royal coachman

Post by the royal coachman » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:11 pm

I hear that's a good Shad spot in the spring. Most of my Smallie fishing is above the I-80 bridge.
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.

martalus

Post by martalus » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:58 pm

Speaking of spot burning for smallies, anyone have any general recommendations for smallies spots either on the NBR or SBR within about 20 minutes from Oldwick? I am coming up with my family tomorrow and would like to go out with my kid, brother and his kids for some fishing/swimming. Along 31 north of flemington? I remember catching smallies in the summer time in High Bridge when I used to live there, but there must be better spots. I have good tabs on all the trout spots but am a bit rusty on the SBR/NBR smallie spots.