What Flies Do You Throw on Top for Bass?

Warm water, salt water and more. Talk about it here!
Luke_M310

What Flies Do You Throw on Top for Bass?

Post by Luke_M310 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:07 pm

I've started lake fishing this year (small-ish 65-acre lake in the Poconos, fishing from a 14' flat bottom boat). Largemouth, crappie, bluegill, pickerel are all found in the particular lake I fish, and while I've caught a couple on spinning gear, I still find it way more enjoyable to cast a fly than to reel in a crankbait or something similar. If I'm going to catch a tiny bluegill, at least let it be on a fly rod!

I have plenty of streamers, buggers, minnows, etc., that I use for subsurface, but obviously, I enjoy fishing the surface when conditions allow.

I've had success with Boogle bullets and poppers, mostly size 4 in the "Solar Flare" chartreuse color, although I do have some white and black poppers I still need to try out.

Last weekend I got a couple hits on a size 6 Chubby Chernobyl in a couple different colors (tan/natural + purple).

I just got a couple of big foam dragonflies and large frogs that I'm planning to test out this weekend.

What else do you guys throw on the surface for bass? I have both a 6-weight and an 8-weight that I've been using, so I can throw pretty much any size, but I'd probably like to keep it around 10 or bigger.

I'm especially curious about terrestrials/bugs. I enjoyed fishing the Chernobyl on my 6-weight (the fish feel bigger and casting is more enjoyable), and was wondering if there's anything else I should be considering. Hoppers? Beetles? Spiders? Crickets? Will a bass take something like an Elk Hair Caddis? What specific patterns/colors do you guys like?

Thanks!

rollcast

Re: What Flies Do You Throw on Top for Bass?

Post by rollcast » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:25 am

Deer hair poppers, frog imitations, Dahlberg divers. Toss them into the weeds/pads, let them sit, then twitch them a little. Wait for the explosion! Use a 7/8 weight because pulling them out of the veggies is difficult.