Carp on a fly-rod popper

Warm water, salt water and more. Talk about it here!
Bob J

Carp on a fly-rod popper

Post by Bob J » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:32 pm

Was throwing a popper last night on Deal Lake and wound up catching a heavy carp. Was like catching a cross between a striper and an albie, bull dogging and some knuckle busting runs. Great fun - have never done that before. There was a squirrel nearby eating some berrIes on an overhanging tree...I'm assuming this is what had the carp looking up but still, I was pretty amazed to see that carp surface after a few runs where I thought I had hooked one of the lakes long lost muskies.

garden hackle

Re: Carp on a fly-rod popper

Post by garden hackle » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:30 pm

Bob J wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:32 pm
Was throwing a popper last night on Deal Lake and wound up catching a heavy carp. Was like catching a cross between a striper and an albie, bull dogging and some knuckle busting runs. Great fun - have never done that before. There was a squirrel nearby eating some berrIes on an overhanging tree...I'm assuming this is what had the carp looking up but still, I was pretty amazed to see that carp surface after a few runs where I thought I had hooked one of the lakes long lost muskies.
Was it a mulberry tree? They are beginning to drop and carp love mulberries.
Public Service Announcement: Sometimes KARMA is best served cold!

Once a box salesman, always a box salesman, and he still cannot think outside of the box!

Bob J

Post by Bob J » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:16 am

I don't think so. The berries were much smaller, but I have to think those berries lured the carp to the area. Have to thank the squirrel for an assist!

Twism86

Post by Twism86 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:48 pm

Carp are an amazing fish to catch that are overlooked all the time! And yes, they love berries, especially mulberry.
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

cappy

Post by cappy » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:29 am

Carp are bulldogs, dam strong fighters. They can be caught with fly gear using egg patterns. Y2K from Lively Legz works great.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France