Bass Topwater

Warm water, salt water and more. Talk about it here!
Post Reply
User avatar
Twism86
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:31 pm
Location: Cranford, NJ
Contact:

Bass Topwater

Post by Twism86 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:13 pm

This long winter has me thinking of one thing; bass crushing topwater at night! One of my favorite ways to fish is for largemouth at night on topwater plugs! There is nothing better than the silence and darkness of night interrupted by the crashing sound of a big bass gulping down your lure at night!! Here's to some warm weather and big bucket mouths!
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

User avatar
njcatchrelease
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:36 pm
Location: Northern NJ
Contact:

Re: Bass Topwater

Post by njcatchrelease » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:48 pm

Can't wait to throw some deer hair frogs I have from my fly rod for bass. Warm weather can't come soon enough.
Tight Lines

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: Bass Topwater

Post by Rusty Spinner » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:52 am

Twism86 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:13 pm
This long winter has me thinking of one thing; bass crushing topwater at night! One of my favorite ways to fish is for largemouth at night on topwater plugs! There is nothing better than the silence and darkness of night interrupted by the crashing sound of a big bass gulping down your lure at night!! Here's to some warm weather and big bucket mouths!
I grew up on a bass lake. I loved fishing off my parents' dock at night, listening to the "gurgle, gurgle, gurgle, gurgle" of a black, jointed Jitterbug making its way across the lake's surface. Right up until you hear the loud explosion of water as a bass pounds it, often missing it the first time. These days I mostly fish for bass in daytime using my 7 weight and flies like Dahlberg divers on top.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

User avatar
njcatchrelease
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:36 pm
Location: Northern NJ
Contact:

Re: Bass Topwater

Post by njcatchrelease » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:59 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:52 am
Twism86 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:13 pm
This long winter has me thinking of one thing; bass crushing topwater at night! One of my favorite ways to fish is for largemouth at night on topwater plugs! There is nothing better than the silence and darkness of night interrupted by the crashing sound of a big bass gulping down your lure at night!! Here's to some warm weather and big bucket mouths!
I grew up on a bass lake. I loved fishing off my parents' dock at night, listening to the "gurgle, gurgle, gurgle, gurgle" of a black, jointed Jitterbug making its way across the lake's surface. Right up until you hear the loud explosion of water as a bass pounds it, often missing it the first time. These days I mostly fish for bass in daytime using my 7 weight and flies like Dahlberg divers on top.
I'm looking to spend a lot of time this summer chasing bass and pike with my fly rod. For some reason I have only used my fly rod for trout and whenever I would take my kayak out for bass and pike I would only bring my spin gear. Gonna change that this year!
Tight Lines

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: Bass Topwater

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:28 pm

njcatchrelease wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:59 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:52 am
Twism86 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:13 pm
This long winter has me thinking of one thing; bass crushing topwater at night! One of my favorite ways to fish is for largemouth at night on topwater plugs! There is nothing better than the silence and darkness of night interrupted by the crashing sound of a big bass gulping down your lure at night!! Here's to some warm weather and big bucket mouths!
I grew up on a bass lake. I loved fishing off my parents' dock at night, listening to the "gurgle, gurgle, gurgle, gurgle" of a black, jointed Jitterbug making its way across the lake's surface. Right up until you hear the loud explosion of water as a bass pounds it, often missing it the first time. These days I mostly fish for bass in daytime using my 7 weight and flies like Dahlberg divers on top.
I'm looking to spend a lot of time this summer chasing bass and pike with my fly rod. For some reason I have only used my fly rod for trout and whenever I would take my kayak out for bass and pike I would only bring my spin gear. Gonna change that this year!
You'll want something bigger than a 4 or 5 weight for pike and bass. I would go with at least a 7 or 8 weight for those two species. And remember wire or heavy mono bite tippets for the pike. I love bass fishing both on top and subsurface with a fly rod.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:05 pm

Re: Bass Topwater

Post by MikeB » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:51 pm

Twism86 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:13 pm
This long winter has me thinking of one thing; bass crushing topwater at night! One of my favorite ways to fish is for largemouth at night on topwater plugs! There is nothing better than the silence and darkness of night interrupted by the crashing sound of a big bass gulping down your lure at night!! Here's to some warm weather and big bucket mouths!
Bud I fished MANY tournaments at night, the go to was always a really good buzzbait, zara spook, and lately a chatterbait. ALWAYS use a trailer hook and change speeds!! Any drop-offs hold bigger fish if you can find a gravel flat by them. Some people will tell you a pop-r but from my experience that is more of an early morning bite than later.

Good luck!

User avatar
Twism86
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:31 pm
Location: Cranford, NJ
Contact:

Re: Bass Topwater

Post by Twism86 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:58 pm

MikeB wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:51 pm
Twism86 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:13 pm
This long winter has me thinking of one thing; bass crushing topwater at night! One of my favorite ways to fish is for largemouth at night on topwater plugs! There is nothing better than the silence and darkness of night interrupted by the crashing sound of a big bass gulping down your lure at night!! Here's to some warm weather and big bucket mouths!
Bud I fished MANY tournaments at night, the go to was always a really good buzzbait, zara spook, and lately a chatterbait. ALWAYS use a trailer hook and change speeds!! Any drop-offs hold bigger fish if you can find a gravel flat by them. Some people will tell you a pop-r but from my experience that is more of an early morning bite than later.

Good luck!
My go to is a black Heddon Tiny Torpedo. I mainly fish a small shallow lake in PA so I cruise around the shoreline and hit docks and other structure. Amazing how you can cast 6" from shore and a monster is just right there waiting in barely enough water to cover its back.
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

User avatar
njcatchrelease
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:36 pm
Location: Northern NJ
Contact:

Re: Bass Topwater

Post by njcatchrelease » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:03 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:28 pm
njcatchrelease wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:59 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:52 am


I grew up on a bass lake. I loved fishing off my parents' dock at night, listening to the "gurgle, gurgle, gurgle, gurgle" of a black, jointed Jitterbug making its way across the lake's surface. Right up until you hear the loud explosion of water as a bass pounds it, often missing it the first time. These days I mostly fish for bass in daytime using my 7 weight and flies like Dahlberg divers on top.
I'm looking to spend a lot of time this summer chasing bass and pike with my fly rod. For some reason I have only used my fly rod for trout and whenever I would take my kayak out for bass and pike I would only bring my spin gear. Gonna change that this year!
You'll want something bigger than a 4 or 5 weight for pike and bass. I would go with at least a 7 or 8 weight for those two species. And remember wire or heavy mono bite tippets for the pike. I love bass fishing both on top and subsurface with a fly rod.
I have a 9' 8wt that I use for Steelhead & salmon that I will be using for bass & pike. Gotta pike up an extra spool and some new line. I was looking at the RIO INTOUCH Big Nasty line. What line do you use?
Tight Lines

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:05 pm

Re: Bass Topwater

Post by MikeB » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:24 pm

Twism86 wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:13 pm
My go to is a black Heddon Tiny Torpedo. I mainly fish a small shallow lake in PA so I cruise around the shoreline and hit docks and other structure. Amazing how you can cast 6" from shore and a monster is just right there waiting in barely enough water to cover its back.
They always cruise the flats at night looking for food, its an easy way to fish too. The drop off is HUGE because they like to sit and ambush as well. Baitfish and panfish tend to run all over the flats at night which makes for great largie fishing

User avatar
Rusty Spinner
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:35 pm
Location: Flanders, NJ
Contact:

Re: Bass Topwater

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:09 am

njcatchrelease wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:03 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:28 pm
njcatchrelease wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:59 pm


I'm looking to spend a lot of time this summer chasing bass and pike with my fly rod. For some reason I have only used my fly rod for trout and whenever I would take my kayak out for bass and pike I would only bring my spin gear. Gonna change that this year!
You'll want something bigger than a 4 or 5 weight for pike and bass. I would go with at least a 7 or 8 weight for those two species. And remember wire or heavy mono bite tippets for the pike. I love bass fishing both on top and subsurface with a fly rod.
I have a 9' 8wt that I use for Steelhead & salmon that I will be using for bass & pike. Gotta pike up an extra spool and some new line. I was looking at the RIO INTOUCH Big Nasty line. What line do you use?
My 7 weight is my bass rod and I go up to a 9 for pike out of state. My 7 is lined with Rio because Shannon's is a Rio dealer ;) My 9 I fish with an intermediate sink line with huge streamers for "pikes" for those of you that visit NEFF from time to time. But I do know they make a bass bug taper that will help load the rod and cast those big, wind-resistant flies. An 8 weight is the perfect combo for bass and pike, but I'm an odd numbered fly rod guy (3 weight, one 4 weight, 5s, 7s, 9s, 11, etc.)
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

User avatar
njcatchrelease
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:36 pm
Location: Northern NJ
Contact:

Re: Bass Topwater

Post by njcatchrelease » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:28 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:09 am
njcatchrelease wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:03 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:28 pm


You'll want something bigger than a 4 or 5 weight for pike and bass. I would go with at least a 7 or 8 weight for those two species. And remember wire or heavy mono bite tippets for the pike. I love bass fishing both on top and subsurface with a fly rod.
I have a 9' 8wt that I use for Steelhead & salmon that I will be using for bass & pike. Gotta pike up an extra spool and some new line. I was looking at the RIO INTOUCH Big Nasty line. What line do you use?
My 7 weight is my bass rod and I go up to a 9 for pike out of state. My 7 is lined with Rio because Shannon's is a Rio dealer ;) My 9 I fish with an intermediate sink line with huge streamers for "pikes" for those of you that visit NEFF from time to time. But I do know they make a bass bug taper that will help load the rod and cast those big, wind-resistant flies. An 8 weight is the perfect combo for bass and pike, but I'm an odd numbered fly rod guy (3 weight, one 4 weight, 5s, 7s, 9s, 11, etc.)
Thanks for the info.
Tight Lines

User avatar
Twism86
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:31 pm
Location: Cranford, NJ
Contact:

Re: Bass Topwater

Post by Twism86 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:24 am

Was out in the Poconos over the MD weekend and got a few at night. The big ones still seem to be lazy, just caught a bunch around 12".
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

troutfishing4life
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:11 pm
Location: Chatham

Re: Bass Topwater

Post by troutfishing4life » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:24 am

Twism86 wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:24 am
Was out in the Poconos over the MD weekend and got a few at night. The big ones still seem to be lazy, just caught a bunch around 12".
Once it gets alittle warm it will be game on

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:05 pm

Re: Bass Topwater

Post by MikeB » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:27 am

Buy a Chatterbait in chartruce w a gold blade. Roll it just above the surface, its deadly for largemouth.

User avatar
Twism86
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:31 pm
Location: Cranford, NJ
Contact:

Re: Bass Topwater

Post by Twism86 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:49 am

troutfishing4life wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:24 am
Twism86 wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:24 am
Was out in the Poconos over the MD weekend and got a few at night. The big ones still seem to be lazy, just caught a bunch around 12".
Once it gets alittle warm it will be game on
Definitely!
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

User avatar
Twism86
Posts: 134
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:31 pm
Location: Cranford, NJ
Contact:

Re: Bass Topwater

Post by Twism86 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:49 am

MikeB wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:27 am
Buy a Chatterbait in chartruce w a gold blade. Roll it just above the surface, its deadly for largemouth.
I surface fish at night and at night you want to fish lures as black as black can be!
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:05 pm

Re: Bass Topwater

Post by MikeB » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:00 pm

Go w a black blue then, flake is important

Post Reply