Big Blue Gill?

Warm water, salt water and more. Talk about it here!
BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Big Blue Gill?

Post by BiggerThomas » Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:10 pm

I used to catch huge blue gill in Round Valley. They were about the size of small dinner plates. Haven't seen them that big there lately tho.

Does anyone know a pond or lake or reservoir that has huge ones? My son is going for the State record :lol:

BT
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

-From Letters to Young Fly-Fishers, (1926) Sir George Aston,

BiggerThomas
Location: Whenever somebody's looking to be free...look in their eyes--you'll see me.

Re: Big Blue Gill?

Post by BiggerThomas » Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:57 pm

Ps, I have a kayak if that affects your answers at all...
"Most anglers spend their lives in making rules for trout, and trout spend theirs in breaking them."

martalus

Post by martalus » Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:07 pm

I used to catch big ones at that tiny park in Voorhees state park. It often gets covered with Algae and sometimes the ranger chases you out. Mind you, these are not state record gills but nice dinner plate size ones that love to take a dry fly on a summer evening.

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:35 pm

BiggerThomas wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:10 pm
I used to catch huge blue gill in Round Valley. They were about the size of small dinner plates. Haven't seen them that big there lately tho.

Does anyone know a pond or lake or reservoir that has huge ones? My son is going for the State record :lol:

BT
Their still there....go all the in back ...opposite side from the launch and use shiners....yw

BiggerThomas

Post by BiggerThomas » Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:44 pm

martalus wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:07 pm
I used to catch big ones at that tiny park in Voorhees state park. It often gets covered with Algae and sometimes the ranger chases you out. Mind you, these are not state record gills but nice dinner plate size ones that love to take a dry fly on a summer evening.
hoppock grove?

BiggerThomas

Post by BiggerThomas » Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:45 pm

Fishybig wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:35 pm
BiggerThomas wrote:

BT
Their still there....go all the in back ...opposite side from the launch and use shiners....yw
Thanks, might get the 'yak out and check that part...you're saying the eastern edge of the reservoir?

Fishybig

Post by Fishybig » Wed Aug 23, 2023 5:31 am

BiggerThomas wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:45 pm
Fishybig wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:35 pm
BiggerThomas wrote:

BT
Thanks, might get the 'yak out and check that part...you're saying the eastern edge of the reservoir?
Yes

martalus

Post by martalus » Wed Aug 23, 2023 7:52 am

BiggerThomas wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:44 pm
martalus wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:07 pm
hoppock grove?
I have caught the larger blue gill in pond right across from the high school in the picnic area. Also some 12-14 inch largemouth. But it is often too covered with algae and lily pads to fish. I have caught some 12 inch largemouths in the other pond just off Buffalo hollow road. Both are very small ponds so nothing huge but a little action in a scenic setting.

BiggerThomas

Post by BiggerThomas » Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:49 pm

Nice. Thanks broskis.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:33 pm

BiggerThomas wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:49 pm
Nice. Thanks broskis.
What, no love for our native pumpinkseeds? 'Gills are non native after all.... :D :lol:
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

BiggerThomas

Post by BiggerThomas » Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:18 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:33 pm
BiggerThomas wrote:
Nice. Thanks broskis.
What, no love for our native pumpinkseeds? 'Gills are non native after all.... :D :lol:
I take what I can get!

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:28 pm

BiggerThomas wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:18 pm
Rusty Spinner wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:33 pm
BiggerThomas wrote:
Nice. Thanks broskis.
I take what I can get!
I love toasted pumpkin seeds, they are great in a garlic scape pesto... :lol: :lol: :lol: