Caddis "dry flly"

Tying flies and the bugs they imitate!
PortMurrayAng

Caddis "dry flly"

Post by PortMurrayAng » Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:40 am

Just a random question...how often do you put on and only fish an elk wing caddis. No dropper. Just a top water elk (or deer) TOP water fly?

barkeater

Re: Caddis "dry flly"

Post by barkeater » Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:46 pm

I rarely fish a single dry fly set up these days. I usually pair a caddis or mayfly 18-12 with a #20 dry fly emerger. So in answer to your question, seldom if you were inquiring about dry fly and all the time if you meant a nymph as the dropper.

PortMurrayAng

Post by PortMurrayAng » Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:42 pm

I mean, specifically, an elk wing caddis. Does anyone choose an elk or deer hair as the ONLY fly to fish. You're standing there, thinking, "now, finally, I can throw that tan elk wing caddis."

Just caddis dry as a go-to top choice favorite solo dry fly.

Anyone?

PortMurrayAng

Post by PortMurrayAng » Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:42 pm

I mean, specifically, an elk wing caddis. Does anyone choose an elk or deer hair as the ONLY fly to fish. You're standing there, thinking, "now, finally, I can throw that tan elk wing caddis."

Just caddis dry as a go-to top choice favorite solo dry fly.

Anyone?

Vance

Post by Vance » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:01 am

I always use a caddis fly by it self. I do not use elk hair for the wing. What I use is the white tail buck hair from the the cheeks of its head. I have been using the cheek hair for at least 50 years now. For a stacker I use a .220 swift shell that I cut down so it is about 1 inch long. By the way the shell was empty when I cut it down. The hair of the cheek on a white tail buck is about one inch long. Depending when you get the buck it varies in color. Summer time hair is lighter in color than a winter killed deer. Since the hair is hollow it floats like a cork. Bill the mailman

NJpatbee

Post by NJpatbee » Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:44 am

I use Len Wright’s fluttering caddis which uses stiff hackle for the down wing. I carry about ten variations of sizes and colors. Orvis has a great guide to caddis flies and I treat them more like mayflies, each a unique hatch and fly.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:54 pm

Fish a dry adult caddis of your choice and trail an iris caddis during the caddis hatches and hold on for dear life...you can fish the iris as a pupa, but if the fish are rising steadily I would fish them both dry...

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:28 am

Roy, for me the answer varies. If chasing native brookies in a small stream, the standard run of the mill tan elk hair dry is as good a fly as you can ask for. On bigger rivers when the trout are taking emerging caddis below the surface film, seldom. But I will try a spent wing caddis which is the elk hair caddis, but you split the wing so they sit more flush in the film. I do find trout will smash that even when they are not feeding on top like they would during a mayfly hatch. It represents an easy meal of what they are chasing below the surface.

Lightenup mentioned the iris caddis (aka - Irish cabbage). That is an awesome fly that is often taken hard on the surface during a caddis hatch. That said, 99% of caddis hatches here in the East are best fished with a fly like a LaFontaine caddis pupa swung using the Liesenring lift at the end of the drift and then hang on for the smashing take.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Kapfish

Post by Kapfish » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:46 pm

I tie a caddis I call the trout crack caddis. Just a small dubbed body then I wrap with a cdc feather topped with Elk. And I fish it often and very confidently all by its lonesome

PortMurrayAng

Post by PortMurrayAng » Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:52 am

Thank you everyone. This spring has taught me alot and so have you! I have new appreciation for caddis on top.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:45 pm

PortMurrayAng wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:52 am
Thank you everyone. This spring has taught me alot and so have you! I have new appreciation for caddis on top.
Pictures or it never happened :lol:
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

joe_panella

Post by joe_panella » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:24 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:28 am
Roy, for me the answer varies. If chasing native brookies in a small stream, the standard run of the mill tan elk hair dry is as good a fly as you can ask for. On bigger rivers when the trout are taking emerging caddis below the surface film, seldom. But I will try a spent wing caddis which is the elk hair caddis, but you split the wing so they sit more flush in the film. I do find trout will smash that even when they are not feeding on top like they would during a mayfly hatch. It represents an easy meal of what they are chasing below the surface.

Lightenup mentioned the iris caddis (aka - Irish cabbage). That is an awesome fly that is often taken hard on the surface during a caddis hatch. That said, 99% of caddis hatches here in the East are best fished with a fly like a LaFontaine caddis pupa swung using the Liesenring lift at the end of the drift and then hang on for the smashing take.
I agree with brian, not much better than a caddis for wiild brookies or even browns or rainbows when you are talking about high elevation tumbling mountain freestone streams.