Fixing Flies

Tying flies and the bugs they imitate!
Twism86

Fixing Flies

Post by Twism86 » Wed May 25, 2022 9:24 am

Is anyone else a cheap bastard like me and fixes flies back home? If I notice the head wrapping on a fly starting to come undone after catching a few, I will put it aside and take it the vise when I get home to glue or re-wrap it. Maybe its not because Im cheap but rather see tying flies as a chore over a hobby. Or a little of both :lol:
"Stupidity is scary but genius can be frightening.
Genius built the atom bomb. Genius topples nations."

PortMurrayAng

Re: Fixing Flies

Post by PortMurrayAng » Wed May 25, 2022 1:27 pm

I do. Or, save the hook and cut the material off. It seems wasteful to just pitch a good hook.

Vance

Post by Vance » Thu May 26, 2022 7:27 am

Hi, I put the flies that are damaged in a separate box then in the winter strip the flies to save the hooks for when I start tying again. Why waste a good hook by throwing it away. In the winter I May strip 10 or 20 flies just to save the hook. I make sure the points are not broken off then I sharpen all of the hooks before using them again. Bill the mailman

kype

Post by kype » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:19 pm

beaten up flies are just that. beaten up. i keep all my flies that have caught many fish. they are memories of a great day, or a great fish. i display them on my truck windshield visor. after that, i just tie more flies. the other flies are "retired" and served me well.