Columbia Dam removal

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
Troutman

Columbia Dam removal

Post by Troutman » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:12 am

Read a article a few weeks ago about this dam slated for removal. This will open up the river from the Delaware for some native species to go up the Paulingskill. Now with that obstacle out the way. Wonder if the dam near Blairstown will be next ? . You guys feel its good or bad that these dams will come down ?
Was known as Troutman1

lightenup

Re: Columbia Dam removal

Post by lightenup » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:31 pm

Always good news when man made objects are removed from rivers in my opinion.

CheeseburgerFly

Post by CheeseburgerFly » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:16 pm

It probably screws up other stuff, but some of the places I fish in Maryland are tailwater of deep water releases from dams. In my experience, the rivers never get above 62 degrees and the trout fishing puts ours to shame.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:22 pm

I am all for natural ecosystems, trout fishing or not.

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:09 pm

lightenup wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:22 pm
I'm all for trout fishing, natural ecosystems or not! (see Delaware, upper)
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:06 pm

Drossi wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:09 pm
lightenup wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:22 pm
I'm all for trout fishing, natural ecosystems or not! (see Delaware, upper)
Yes, I am well aware of the benefits to our fishing pleasure....There will be trout around if we restore our rivers to their natural state..which of course will never happen everywhere. That means we will always have the upper D, and the Madison tail water in Montana, and Gunpowder falls area and the such..but personally, and I don't begrudge anyone for disagreeing, it is a great reason for them, I would like to see the dams come down....call me a purist ;)

BillSmith

Post by BillSmith » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:08 pm

Yes the tail waters from dams are a good spot to fish, but what most fail to realize is the miles of water above the dam where the water is a bathtub of hot silted water.
Tear all the dams down for cooler free flowing water. A video was made during the water release just prior to the dam being taken out, I think I counted 46 tires in a small stretch of river on the video, we are planning a clean up.

barkeater

Post by barkeater » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:04 pm

There are dams where the water is deep and the released water is from the depths and is cold. A good example is the upper West Branch of the Delaware below the Cannonsville dam above Deposit NY where the water stays in the 50's. The dams that are removed by TU and other conservation groups are not like this. They are older dams usually built for power and often obsolete and no longer serving a purpose. These usually are silted in with a shallow depth and warm water therefore. The water in the impoundments and the water spilling over the top is hot and not habitable for cold water species such as trout. They often are a liability to the owner or will become one over time but are too expensive for them to remove and this is where outside money (TU and other conservation organizations) comes into play.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:30 pm

Those reservoirs in New York have plenty of silt in them as well....and most silt is toxic in some form or another....dams are good for nothing except an over populated human existence. :twisted:

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:08 pm

My personal opinion is remove all man made dams that do not longer serve a purpose. Bottom release dams are best if thats whats needed for flood control. I fished the U. Delaware when they release water. There is always weed debris flowing @ that time. So that tells me that very little silt build up in those type of dams. Just my opinion of course. Also there is no skill to find fish in a dam area. A 3 year old kid can figure that 1 out. I mean where's the fish gonna go ? They stuck. You can pick them off like fish in a barrel :roll: . If your a real angler you have to look for other structure and pools and such. Thats where the real skill come in. Its all part of the hunt. Not just the catch. Among other things thats involved
Was known as Troutman1

NJAngler

Post by NJAngler » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:45 am

The Paulina Dam just above Blairstown is also set to be removed. The only remaining dam will be Paulinskill Lake Dam. That's not going anywhere - too many private residences. There are numerous smaller dams on tribs but I'm not counting those including one on Pond Brook in Middleville which creates a little pond called Big Swartswood Lake. lol

Quote from NJ.com article:
The DEP said it is working with its partners to remove the Paulina Dam in Blairstown Township, nine miles upstream.

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:28 am

Question for Rusty Spinner if he sees this.... when these types of dams are removed, is the "lake" area dug out prior to removal to prevent all the crap build-up, silt and otherwise, from washing downstream?

garden hackle

Post by garden hackle » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:10 pm

Razorbacker wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:28 am
Question for Rusty Spinner if he sees this.... when these types of dams are removed, is the "lake" area dug out prior to removal to prevent all the crap build-up, silt and otherwise, from washing downstream?
If the dam was not there all that crap build-up and silt would have washed downstream on its own. The question now is: Is that crap build-up now in sufficient concentration to cause harm downstream?

These people will know the particulars https://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/r ... ke-dam.xml
Public Service Announcement: Sometimes KARMA is best served cold!

Once a box salesman, always a box salesman, and he still cannot think outside of the box!

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:37 pm

Sue, it would have washed down over a period of 100 years! Not concentrated as you mention...

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:08 pm

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/v ... ction=view

Depends how the dam is removed I guess...

Razorbacker

Post by Razorbacker » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:17 pm

Holy crap!! Yeah, I'm thinking that would have killed everything downstream for miles :( . Hopefully, our State folks are smarter than that....

barkeater

Post by barkeater » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:15 pm

Rusty could answer the question of sediment removal far better than I can but from hearing him talk multiple times I can say this. On another possible future removal, where the dam is of significant height(33feet) and the impoundment is all silted in to the depth of a few feet, he talked about removing the sediment as they removed the height of the dam a few feet at a time. Dig, reduce height, did, reduce height and so on. This would minimize downstream contamination. I don't know if this is done on all removals where there is sediment build up.

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:39 pm

I have not read the bathymetry study for the Columbia Lake Dam removal, but I do know much of the sediment will be dealt with in place and some will knowingly run into the Delaware River as the dam is only about 1,500' upstream of the big D. I know this summer's normal low water is anything but, and I'm sure that will delay the removal here and there, but that is all part of river work.

Just so others know, NJ Division of Dam Safety & Flood Control is very careful in this state when it comes to sediment releases during dam removals. More so than most other states, but not all other states. We typically lack the flows and gradient to flush huge amounts of sediment out like we sometimes see with a big Western dam removal where they "blow and go". We also have too many people and infrastructure to allow for those types of removals in our floodplains. I was away all of last week in a freshwater mussel conservation biology course at Camp Fed and never got on GST.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Dave B.

Post by Dave B. » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:42 pm

NJAngler wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:45 am
The Paulina Dam just above Blairstown is also set to be removed. The only remaining dam will be Paulinskill Lake Dam. That's not going anywhere - too many private residences. There are numerous smaller dams on tribs but I'm not counting those including one on Pond Brook in Middleville which creates a little pond called Big Swartswood Lake. lol

The DEP said it is working with its partners to remove the Paulina Dam in Blairstown Township, nine miles upstream.
I've been waiting a looong time for Paulina to get scrapped! Any word on the progress with funding?

Rusty Spinner

Post by Rusty Spinner » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:00 pm

Dave B. wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:42 pm
NJAngler wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:45 am

I've been waiting a looong time for Paulina to get scrapped! Any word on the progress with funding?
Just that funding continues to be an issue. That typically changes once the dam below it is removed as is the case with Columbia Lake dam. Hopefully that gets more $$ flowing upstream to Paulina dam.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown