Rhinehart Brook brown trout removal...

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
coaltrout

Re: Rhinehart Brook brown trout removal...

Post by coaltrout » Fri Dec 28, 2018 4:01 pm

Im Guessing f&w will continue this project to other 'Brook Trout Dominant' streams?

Cant speak for other streams, but Rhinehart Brook is not a great brown trout destination. It's just a creek and in terms of brown trout fishing it's no better than the other lil creeks plentiful over the state. There are much better brown trout fisheries just neighboring the brook.

However, brook trout streams are very scarce. These you cant find often around the state like you do with brown trout streams. So what I see is the state attempting to create more of these brook trout streams, while not affecting the quality brown trout fisheries. Rinehart is a perfect candidate as it: already has a brook trout population, isn't a great brown trout fishery, and has low angler interest in the first place.

I do agree it's a bad idea to do this project in streams where the brown trout fishing is better off than brook trout. however that's not the case with rinehart, and I think it's a good idea.

NJAngler

Post by NJAngler » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:05 am

I also find it confusing how a state can have a Wild Brown Trout Enhancement Program designed to increase #'s and sizes of wild brown trout yet be destroying them in other streams. Either they are a valuable resource to be protected and promoted or they are not. They can't be both.
WILD BROWN TROUT ENHANCEMENT STREAMS (Brown Trout dominant, other wild trout species may be present)
Species Minimum Size Season Daily Limit Gear
Brook Trout Catch & Release in Zone* April 6 at 8 a.m. to Sept. 15
Catch and Release at all
other times
2 Brown or
Rainbow Trout
combined
• Fishing allowed year-round
• Artificials only, with no more than 3 hook points in total, all barbless
• Possession or use of bait, or synthetic bait with bait scent prohibited
Rainbow Trout 9”
Brown Trout 12”

coaltrout

Post by coaltrout » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:26 am

@NJangler

They're trying to divide streams into three different classifications, Native Brook trout streams, Wild brown Enhancement streams, and the combination of the two, just called 'wild trout streams'. The later two classifications are going to be left alone, they want a healthy population of trout, regardless of species, in these streams. However the brook trout streams, which are sparse, have all focus on the brookies.

What is confusing is what exactly defines a stream into these categories. I would assume the brown Enhancement streams are those streams that dont have a brook trout population, or so small and infeasible to rebound back. This is where the state wants to let the brown trout thrive. Then I would assume the Native Brook trout streams are those streams that are tiny, dont offer great brown trout fishing like the brown Enhancement streams, and have brook trout holding up well, so the state is trying to protect the brook trout within these streams. Then the 3rd category would just be streams that are in the mix, where brook trout are present but the brown trout fishing is decent.

We will see what the state decides to do with this, currently we see RInehart is getting extreme treatment with brown trout physically getting thrown out. I would hope they do keep that strategy only to Rinehart until it's proven to be successful.

lightenup

Post by lightenup » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:07 pm

coaltrout wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:26 am
@NJangler

They're trying to divide streams into three different classifications, Native Brook trout streams, Wild brown Enhancement streams, and the combination of the two, just called 'wild trout streams'. The later two classifications are going to be left alone, they want a healthy population of trout, regardless of species, in these streams. However the brook trout streams, which are sparse, have all focus on the brookies.

What is confusing is what exactly defines a stream into these categories. I would assume the brown Enhancement streams are those streams that dont have a brook trout population, or so small and infeasible to rebound back. This is where the state wants to let the brown trout thrive. Then I would assume the Native Brook trout streams are those streams that are tiny, dont offer great brown trout fishing like the brown Enhancement streams, and have brook trout holding up well, so the state is trying to protect the brook trout within these streams. Then the 3rd category would just be streams that are in the mix, where brook trout are present but the brown trout fishing is decent.

We will see what the state decides to do with this, currently we see RInehart is getting extreme treatment with brown trout physically getting thrown out. I would hope they do keep that strategy only to Rinehart until it's proven to be successful.
I agree,with proper management we can have it both ways!!!! :D