I Need Some New Waders

All about trout fishing in the great Garden State!
njcatchrelease

I Need Some New Waders

Post by njcatchrelease » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:25 am

I was lucky enough to learn about a new location from a friend so I headed out in search of wild browns.

As I was hiking into the river I was happy to see that the only trail was a not so used deer trail. The feeling of being able to fish a river that doesn't get a lot of pressure was awesome. I got to the river and hit the first good looking pool, then moved upstream losing 2 fish on the way. The great feeling of fishing a river with little pressure quickly turned to a feeling of holy crap this is one tough area to move through. Steep rocky banks, thorns everywhere, downed tress etc.

I got to the next hole and was rewarded with a beautiful NJ brown that slammed a streamer almost as soon as it hit the water.

I fished for about another hour until this happened. I was standing on the steep hill about 10 feet about the river when the dirt I was standing on let lose and down I went. I stood up only to find a 4" tear in my waders! Guess it is time for some new ones.

Anyone have any recommendations on which waders I should look at? The ones I tore where LL Bean Emerger Waders that I actually had to send back 2 other times because of leaks (once the neoprene boot was leaking and the other was a seem on the leg). LL Bean was great and replaced them both times because they were less than a year old, but this time they said no way since it wasn't a manufacturing defect.

Here is a photo of the only brown I was able to land.
Tight Lines

Rusty Spinner

Re: I Need Some New Waders

Post by Rusty Spinner » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:49 am

No reason you can't repair those, even with a 4" tear. Cut a patch at least 5" long by maybe 2" wide and use Aqua Seal. I once tore about a 3" gash in what at the time was a brand new pair of Simms G3s on a Hyde driftboat anchor cleat getting out quickly to fight a big brown that took my line under a snag in the river. I used those waders for 3 more years after that day.
"A sinking fly is closer to Hell" - Unknown

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:49 am

Cant beat a pair of Simms G4 zip ups. Ive had these for a few years. Not 1 leak. No sweating in the summer. I layer these up with some 5.0 UnderArmour in the Winter When I go for Steel heads up in Pulaki NY. Toasty warmer then Neoprene.
Was known as Troutman1

CheeseburgerFly

Post by CheeseburgerFly » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:53 am

I am very happy with my pair of Redington sonic pros that I got them from back country during a 40% off sale. I try to support local as much as I can, but that was money I could not leave on the table.

njcatchrelease

Post by njcatchrelease » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:59 am

Rusty Spinner wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:49 am
No reason you can't repair those, even with a 4" tear. Cut a patch at least 5" long by maybe 2" wide and use Aqua Seal. I once tore about a 3" gash in what at the time was a brand new pair of Simms G3s on a Hyde driftboat anchor cleat getting out quickly to fight a big brown that took my line under a snag in the river. I used those waders for 3 more years after that day.
I may try and repair them. I just want the patch to give out when I'm on a fishing trip away from home, but I guess its worth a shot.
Tight Lines

njcatchrelease

Post by njcatchrelease » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:00 am

Troutman wrote:
Cant beat a pair of Simms G4 zip ups. Ive had these for a few years. Not 1 leak. No sweating in the summer. I layer these up with some 5.0 UnderArmour in the Winter When I go for Steel heads up in Pulaki NY. Toasty warmer then Neoprene.
I would love to get a pair of those but I got 2 kids in college that I'm paying for so for right now they are out.
Tight Lines

njcatchrelease

Post by njcatchrelease » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:01 am

CheeseburgerFly wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:53 am
I am very happy with my pair of Redington sonic pros that I got them from back country during a 40% off sale. I try to support local as much as I can, but that was money I could not leave on the table.
I'm not familiar with those, I'll have to check them out.

Thanks
Tight Lines

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:25 am

njcatchrelease wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:01 am
CheeseburgerFly wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:53 am
I'm not familiar with those, I'll have to check them out.

Thanks
I have a pair of https://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-w ... -hdz-wader. Their customer service is great. The 1st 2 pairs I had was 1st generations. They where thick and pliable. They started to each leak after about 18 months in at the seams. The seams on these were not sewed in. But bonded. I sent them back & within 4 days got new 1s. I used these to finish in high snag area's also. Fished almost everyday with them. The 3rd 1 they sent was the 2nd generation. I was slightly lighter & thinner materials. I kept them in the box as a spare. I have used them only a few times.
Was known as Troutman1

cappy

Post by cappy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:58 am

I was impressed with the high end Chota waders I saw at the show in Edison, and they won't break the bank. The Hodgeman H4 and H5 waders were also nice with reasonable prices, especially if you shop online and know the size you need. The new Orvis lightweight waders were also nice, higher price but nice, and they are light. I tried on a few brands at the show to prepare myself.

Of course Simms is a staple if you want to put out the cash. I'm using the same Bean waders, never had a problem, going on season three. Will most likely go with the Chota when I need a new set.

Nice Brown, it looks like a stocked fish? Doesn't look like the wild fish I catch in NJ.
Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened.
Anatole France

njcatchrelease

Post by njcatchrelease » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:08 am

cappy wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:58 am
I was impressed with the high end Chota waders I saw at the show in Edison, and they won't break the bank. The Hodgeman H4 and H5 waders were also nice with reasonable prices, especially if you shop online and know the size you need. The new Orvis lightweight waders were also nice, higher price but nice, and they are light. I tried on a few brands at the show to prepare myself.

Of course Simms is a staple if you want to put out the cash. I'm using the same Bean waders, never had a problem, going on season three. Will most likely go with the Chota when I need a new set.

Nice Brown, it looks like a stocked fish? Doesn't look like the wild fish I catch in NJ.
Could be a private stocked fish I guess. There area I was fishing was not near any easy stocking points but that doesn't mean too much.

I'll take a look at the Chota waders. Thanks for the info.
Tight Lines

robtf

Post by robtf » Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:34 pm

Rusty Spinner wrote:
any suggestions how to seal up leaky seams on bootfoot waders?

aquaseal doesn't seem to last.

do I need to put some material patch (does someone sell patch material) and *then* seal it with AqS?
----

living in the land of clammies

Drossi

Post by Drossi » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:46 pm

I hear you on the Simms price tag, I used to be the same way but then I gutted it up and bought a pair. Best thing I ever did. They paid for themselves twice over since I get them, wore them 10 years then off loaded them on to my son and got a newer pair. I used to go through waders every season or 2, they'd leak on the seems or the bootie would compress and leak. End up spending $300-$400 over the course of a 5 year period, so $400 up front for 10 years was a bargain. Only issues I had were self caused by a fall, I punctured them and had to patch them. The new pair leaked on the seam after a year and Simms replaced them with an upgraded version for me.
You're NOT worthy
Purveyor of the dark art of the long rod
slingin' cane

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:29 pm

Just found my picture for the Redingtons sonic pro hdz. These are a great value for the $$$$$ for zip up feature. After having that feature. I cant go back to non zips anymore :o . So convenient :D Simms G4 Zips are like $750.00. These are half the price.
Was known as Troutman1

swissbill

Post by swissbill » Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:52 pm

I have used the Redington Sonic Pro for 4 years. No complaints, had gotten them back then from Shannon's.
Great zip-up waders, and a good value. Highly Recommended. They come in a good selection of sizes. Pocket's are good as well.

njcatchrelease

Post by njcatchrelease » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:12 pm

swissbill wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:52 pm
I have used the Redington Sonic Pro for 4 years. No complaints, had gotten them back then from Shannon's.
Great zip-up waders, and a good value. Highly Recommended. They come in a good selection of sizes. Pocket's are good as well.
Those look pretty nice, I also noticed they have an HD version that has an additional layer of material in the lower section but that is about $100 more.
I might stop by Shannons or Tight Lines Fly Fishing to check them out in person.
Tight Lines

Troutman

Post by Troutman » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:47 pm

swissbill wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:52 pm
Shannon's is where I bought my Redingtons from. He has a big selections of styles. Very helpful man. The lower section with the 5 layers is more durable in higher snag area's.

Speaking of Simm's quality. I have a older generation pair of G3's. I think they are & least 12 years old. Going strong. No leaks. Pliable as the 1st day I bought them.
Was known as Troutman1